Question for Missouri CC'ers

This is a discussion on Question for Missouri CC'ers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some help from some of you more experienced Missouri CC’ers. I’m sure I might catch some flak for this but I’ve been reviewing ...

I need some help from some of you more experienced Missouri CC’ers. I’m sure I might catch some flak for this but I’ve been reviewing the Missouri Carry laws and if I understand the law correctly, it is not entirely illegal to carry on a Missouri college campus. It is prohibited but it is not a “criminal act” as long as you have your CCW license, so if I was ever made I would only have to deal with the University. I understand no one is a lawyer but I just want to make sure I am correct on this?

VIP Member
    I'm fairly certain that carrying on a college campus amounts to the same thing as carrying on any private property as far as getting caught goes. If you get caught carrying, they can ask you to leave the premises or else face trespassing charges. The only difference really boils down to the fact that you are explicitly supposed to secure the OK of the college before you carry on their property. I'd certainly advise making a phone call or two if you were planning on doing it regularly though, as it'd be better to find out for certain than risk something much more harsh than being asked to leave the property.

+1.

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

We're trying to get our legislature to change our law to be like Missouri, where it is not a crime if you 'accidentally' go past a sign posted on a door. Last yr they did change it to a fine and a misdemeanor at least.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

+1 to punk rocker. If it is a public the college they will likely have their own police who will probably hassel you a bit. If you are a student or teacher you could likely get fired or kicked out (if you were made).

OP - you are correct. However, if you happen to be a student and are made, you'll likely be expelled. It's not right, but it's reality.

Thanks guys. I understand there is the risk that I will be expelled but its a risk I'm willing to take after the last few college shootings. Not to mention I walk 20 minutes to and from class everyday, sometimes after dark.

Best of luck to you. I understand your concern, and know that you'll make the best choice. I work on a college campus in MO. All I can say is that if you think you've been made, hightail it off campus before anyone on campus can confirm it. You'll likely still face sanctions, but might get off with suspension instead of expulsion. Expulsion will likely severely limit any education options for you in the future. Most schools won't accept expelled students. Be safe.

Links