Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network LLC

This is a discussion on Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network LLC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi y'all, Does anyone belong to this organization? If you do what do you think of it and why would one benefit from membership to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network LLC

Question Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network LLC

Hi y'all,
    Does anyone belong to this organization? If you do what do you think of it and why would one benefit from membership to this organization? Most importantly has anyone used it's services or found it useful in any legal defense that you have needed or known personally of someone who has benefited from it's services?
    I am looking into any avenues that would better prepare me for the aftermath if, God forbid, it should ever occur. I want to make sure I'm not wasting my hard earned money or that this is some kind of scheming organization. I am not familiar with it but I'm trying to get some answers. Any help or clarifications would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference."
    - GEORGE WASHINGTON

2. Remove Ads

I am a member. To date, no members have needed the services as far as I know.

The best deal is that they offer "boots on the ground," meaning if you get into a situation, they will fly to you and help your legal defense.

I don't know about you, but I sure like the idea of having heavy hitters like Masaad Ayoob available as expert witnesses.

PS - I've personally spoken to Marty and Gila Hayes. They're the real deal.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I am a member. To date, no members have needed the services as far as I know.

The best deal is that they offer "boots on the ground," meaning if you get into a situation, they will fly to you and help your legal defense.

I don't know about you, but I sure like the idea of having heavy hitters like Masaad Ayoob available as expert witnesses.

PS - I've personally spoken to Marty and Gila Hayes. They're the real deal.
    Thanks for your input 10thmtn. I recently had something happen that worked out well for me but it got me thinking about the "what ifs" and would I be prepared to handle the aftermath if I was forced to use force as my absolute last resort. I'd rather spend some time now finding out who could help me if, God forbid, I would ever need it rather than later when I'll have no time at all. As they say, you purchase fire insurance not hoping that you'll have a fire but at least if it happens you have something to help you and your family.
    I understand these guys will not mount your legal defense for you but it is worth a lot to have some people on your side fighting for you when it is merited.
    Thanks.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference."
    - GEORGE WASHINGTON

Another member here. Glad I joined too. Aside from knowing they're there to assist if needed, the educational materials you get when you join or renew are great.

Senior Moderator
    My husband and I are both members as of last month. We just received our five DVDs in the mail with titles like "Additional Considerations When Using Deadly Force," "Handling the Immediate Aftermath of a Self-Defense Shooting," "Defending a Self-Defense Shooting," "Recognizing and Responding to Pre-Attack Indicators" and "Use of Deadly Force in Self Defense."

I haven't gotten to watch any of them yet. That will probably be a weekend project for me and JD.

As mentioned, the peace of mind knowing that I will have a lawyer, expert witnesses, even help with bail and other legal expenses and the like is enough for me to have much greater peace of mind. I like to think of it as an insurance policy for the armed citizen (even though they themselves say they are not insurance).

JD and I have already gotten a few brochures and plan on handing them out to our students in our CCW classes as something to consider looking into.

Like I said, they say themselves that they are NOT insurance but in a way it's kind of like it.. You pray to God you never need it but when you do you'll be really glad you have it.

I'm a member. It's the real deal. It's worth it. It covers a gap that nothing else does: which is primarily that they will provide immediate financial assistance to fund your legal defense if in the opinion of their board (Ayoob, Farnham, Tueller, et al) you are likely to have made legal and justifiable use of a firearm in self defense. Contrast this with self defense insurance, which only reimburses you for expenses AFTER you've been acquitted.

You might be interested in my thread about self defense insurance, which mentions the ACLDN, at:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-and-Insurance
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Here's an article from their newsletter illustrating how they can help. In this case, the defender wasn't even a member of the organization, but they provided much expertise to his defense nonetheless. (warning - long read!)

Joining ACLDN is on my to-do list.

Here's the earlier thread relating to the article above - I couldn't remember which forum I'd seen it on.
    Last edited by sdprof; December 10th, 2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added thread link
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I am a member and an instructor that recommends this service to my students. What everyone has said is true. I haven't had to use it but from the newsletters several have. They have the top people in their leadership to assist you and the education services is awesome! The investment to join is pretty cheap insurance to avoid a long time in jail and a record. Check out their web site and see the facts. It will be an easy call after that.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

I am going to have to put that on my shortlist of things to invest in.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Ex Member
    What is the cost?

Here are some FYI bits

Join with like-minded armed citizens all across the nation as members of the Armed Citizens’ Legal Defense Network, LLC. If you would like more information about membership, please contact the Network at 360-978-5200 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday, Pacific Standard Time, write to us at Post Office Box 400, Onalaska, WA 98570 or send us email at info@armedcitizensnetwork.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Network membership costs $85 per year and additional household members may be added to the membership for an additional $50/yr. each. Three-year memberships are available for $225. If you are ready to join, we welcome you to do so by one of these convenient methods:
    •Print the form available at this link and send it with your dues payment by check or credit card to the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, LLC., P O Box 400, Onalaska, WA 98570.
    •Go to the Network's online bookstore at www.armedcitizensnetwork.org, and select the type of membership you wish. When your application is processed, you will be sent the Network's three educational DVDs, your membership card and the passwords necessary to access the Network Forum and other members-only areas of the website. Membership orders are processed each Monday and log in codes are emailed to the new member as soon as processing is complete.
    •Give us a call at 360-978-5200.

That should help and if not give them a call and they will give you first rate service,
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Quote Originally Posted by gunshrink View Post
    Network membership costs $85 per year and additional household members may be added to the membership for an additional $50/yr. each. Three-year memberships are available for $225. If you are ready to join, we welcome you to do so by one of these convenient methods:
    - That sounds like a very reasonable fee. I'll have to add it to my things to do list.

Senior Moderator
    Just as an additional FYI.

I sent an email to the Armed Citizen Defense Network this afternoon asking if their services extended to defending self defense situations such as the use of a knife, impact/improvised or hand-to-hand. I did not see anything clearly stated on the website so I thought I'd better ask.

This is the email I send:
    My husband and I have very recently become members of the Armed Citizens' Defense Network. We have both been carrying concealed firearms for years and feel this is an invaluable service offered for those legal citizens who choose to arm themselves.
    This last weekend I attended a defensive knife class as I often carry a knife in places where I cannot legally carry a firearm but can still legally carry a knife. This got me thinking about your services. Obviously, you advertise help with dealing with the aftermath of a defensive shooting but are other defensive situations also covered such as defense with a knife, impact/improvised weapon (such as a flashlight or pen) or even hand-to-hand self-defense resulting in death or serious injury?

Please advise.

Thank you.
    This was the response I got:
    I share your concerns, and while we instituted the policy up front that member benefits extend when a self-defense shooting is involved, I also recognize that not everyone can carry firearms all the time. As we grow, I anticipate extending our member benefits for other acts of self-defense. I am going to run your question by the advisory board of the Foundation, and see what they think.

Marty
    SOOOO.. that sounds to me like they DO NOT YET cover self defense scenarios outside of the gun.

I do not think that should keep people from joining as we primarily carry firearms and the more resources they have the more likely they will be able to extend their services to other scenarios and I think that with enough interest they will more seriously consider other scenarios and I hope they do.

I, for one, know that I travel a lot in Wisconsin, a state that I cannot yet carry a gun in but can carry a knife and I would feel much more comfortable knowing I have a legal backing for other defense as well.

Lima's question about non-firearm usage is relevant to firearms self-defense INSURANCE too. The MMD Brokers' self defense policy I have (and I think the NRA policy too) only covers the use of firearms in self defense (see link in post #6 above). So if I defend myself with a knife, pepper spray, baseball bat, chair, or anything other than a firearm it provides no coverage whatsoever. I asked MMD about this, and they said it was hard enough convincing someone to underwrite a firearms-based self-defense insurance policy. Getting someone to underwrite a general self-defense policy was not possible for them to find.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Here's an article from their newsletter illustrating how they can help. In this case, the defender wasn't even a member of the organization, but they provided much expertise to his defense nonetheless. (warning - long read!)

Joining ACLDN is on my to-do list.

[/B]Here's the earlier thread relating to the article above - I couldn't remember which forum I'd seen it on.

^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To all in bold.

I read the article, and was in awe at what they did for the defendant.
    I have been on the fence about this since last summer, but my butt is beginning to hurt.
    I am thinking this is the way to go, for $85 + $50 for another member of the household , this is really starting to look like CHEAP/wise-peace of mind insurance.

I will be joining very soon.

Good thinking Lima,
    Hopefully this will be something in their future, but indeed is obviously not their arena of expertise.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links