Some good may come from horrible dream

This is a discussion on Some good may come from horrible dream within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a beautiful daughter, age 19, in college. She is a bit gun-shy, and has said in the past that she is scared of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some good may come from horrible dream

Some good may come from horrible dream

I have a beautiful daughter, age 19, in college. She is a bit gun-shy, and has said in the past that she is scared of guns' power - and the power they give her - so that she doesn't want to carry when she comes of age.

Last night she related a nightmare she had recently:

----------------------------------------
    Her dad was out of the house. One older brother upstairs, the other one downstairs, in bedroom nearer the house's doors. She and I and her boyfriend were laying in my bed at the back of the house, watching a video on boyfriend's phone.

Daughter heard a noise up front near the doors, and footsteps.
    Suggested to me that I go get my gun from the closet. I do so.
    She hears more footsteps, then rapid fire, like a machine gun. One brother gone, she realizes.
    More rapid fire. Other brother gone.
    She and boyfriend crouch and hide in the dark closet while I stand near bedroom door with my gun, waiting.
    She asks me to give her one of my guns to shoot. I don't. (In real life, of course, I would do that in a heartbeat.)
    She hears whistling, the old song "Bingo" (B-I-NGO...) and steps coming nearer to the bedroom door.
    (B-I-NGO)
    Daughter peers out of closet, asking again for one of my guns.
    For some reason, I step out in front of the door to confront BG, and daughter sees him shoot and kill me.
    (B-I-NGO)
    He comes to the closet where she and boyfriend are crouched, hiding.
    (B-I-NGO)
    He turns on the light.
    (B-I- ------.)
    He sees them, and fires, killing them both.

Daughter wakes up.
    ------------------------------------------
    My poor girl.

From her relating this dream, I realize that she is rethinking her stance on gun ownership, and whether she needs one or not.

She tells me she has talked to her boyfriend, who admits he has no weapons in his apartment, which she now realizes she doesn't like at all.

He has begun looking into buying his first gun. (He's 22.) She wants him to. She is beginning to think she may want to carry after all, when she reaches 21.

I have offered to take them both to the range, teach them gun safety, along with whatever basics I have to pass on.

And I have hopes that this dream-tragedy has shaken some reality into them both.....

[shudder]
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

2. Remove Ads

Good thing it was only a dream that took what it needed to to convince her not reality.

Get them started, offer whatever assistance you can, it's still up to them, but they sound like they at least have their heads in the game now.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Good thing it was only a dream that took what it needed to to convince her not reality.
    +1 Could have been something tragic. Glad she has come around to the idea.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Moderator
    Capitalize on this QUICK! Because the power of dreams fades quickly. In a matter of weeks or even days she very well may be saying, "It was just a dream and I overacted."

She will probably never think the same about the BINGO song though...lol

Because of a dream I had I moved up to a 10mm Auto.

Introduce them to guns at the range yourself... but let someone else do the training... If you can afford to, pay for that training.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I second that oakchas. When my two daughters (they were in college, one becoming an elementry school teacher, the othe a criminal justice major) asked me to take them to the range,
    I was very happy too. I took them down to the range I had been shooting at and introduced them to the owner. He was an NRA certified instructor and FBI trained instructor. That was the best decision I could have made. I taught myself over the many years of shooting, but there is no scence to pass on any bad habits I may have had. Also, they tend to listen closer to a
    PAID instructor than to dad. After 6 classes, they wer handling my .45 as well as I could.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    IMHO raising your daughters awareness of self defense options is always a good thing.

However with dreams like that she may have other issues she needs to discuss.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I agree with you, Lima. I have already offered to take them both to the range tomorrow morning before she goes to work, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Normally she texts me at night when she is safe at boyfriend's home (she's a rampant extrovert and spends lots of time out and about with friends). But last night she also wanted me to let her know that I was safe, as well.

This dream *really* bothered her. I doubt she'll forget it for a long time.

AKsrule, I will ask her if there is anything else going on. But like most young adults, she is cautious about what she tells me and what she doesn't. She's not in danger from her family. But I can't guarantee her friends. She's known this boyfriend for years, casually, and her brothers know him casually. I don't think that he would be a problem, but of course one never really knows.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    I agree with you, Lima. I have already offered to take them both to the range tomorrow morning before she goes to work, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Normally she texts me at night when she is safe at boyfriend's home (she's a rampant extrovert and spends lots of time out and about with friends). But last night she also wanted me to let her know that I was safe, as well.

This dream *really* bothered her. I doubt she'll forget it for a long time.

AKsrule, I will ask her if there is anything else going on. But like most young adults, she is cautious about what she tells me and what she doesn't. She's not in danger from her family. But I can't guarantee her friends. She's known this boyfriend for years, casually, and her brothers know him casually. I don't think that he would be a problem, but of course one never really knows.
    FWIW, which is maybe nothing, I have long ago learned to not seek meaning in dreams and just blow them off as "oh, another stupid dream." OTOH I certainly know folks who swear that their dreams somehow make them clairvoyant, that they are a glimpse into the future, and I discount that entirely. The only meaning I might attach to this particular dream is that (not to put guilt on Gilraein) your own toting and caution is causing your daughter some anxiety. She perhaps sees you as "fearful" in the sense that you think stuff like that dream is potentially real and so you stay armed. Hence, it concerns her. Also, let's remember that we have all be reading and hearing news of the trial and conviction of that POS home invader that killed the Petit family in CT. Maybe that has left a concern with her.

The good news as you correctly point out is that now your daughter is more likely to be willing to learn.

Everyone has their own take on "what" to learn, and I'll just offer up my view that Limatunes has the right idea. You want more than the handgun among your tools. Some MA, FOF, and knife training are worthwhile for anyone who can spare the time and bucks, and who has the interest.

Sure wish our Texas legislature would make our CHL a CWP.

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Normally she texts me at night when she is safe at boyfriend's home (she's a rampant extrovert and spends lots of time out and about with friends). AKsrule, I will ask her if there is anything else going on. But like most young adults, she is cautious about what she tells me and what she doesn't. She's not in danger from her family. But I can't guarantee her friends. She's known this boyfriend for years, casually, and her brothers know him casually. I don't think that he would be a problem, but of course one never really knows.
    If they are serious enough for her to be sleeping over BF home, I would ask her in private if she has an objections or reasons no matter how small that you should not be taking BF to the range. If she says yes then you know something is up. If she says no but her eye say yes, there is another clue. If she say that both of them will go. Then should be a oK.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    If they are serious enough for her to be sleeping over BF home, I would ask her in private if she has an objections or reasons no matter how small that you should not be taking BF to the range. If she says yes then you know something is up. If she says no but her eye say yes, there is another clue. If she say that both of them will go. Then should be a oK.
    Words of wisdom there Hitch. That's good advice. Its good advice even if she isn't sleeping over. The question gets to that gut level intuitive stuff. I'd try to phrase it, and I can't think of good phrasing now, in a way hat would keep the answer from being yes/no. Ask it in a way that leaves an opening or invite for her to add to her answer. Something like, "I'd like to take your friend to the range." Then see what the response is. IT could be anything from that's a great idea when are we going, to--- well, "I'm not sure he'd like that." Keep asking questions in a way that will elicit more than yes/no. Yes/no requires your daughter to reach a judgment. If she is uncertain she may opt for saying yes. Asking in ways that won't elicit yes/no responses allows you to be the one who makes the judgment-- and not just about a visit to the range.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    ^^^^^Yeah^^^^^^^

I was gettin' the willy nilly's reading that.

Hope it works out and she and her boyfriend have a long enjoyable time learning/shooting firearms safely
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I used to get bad dreams whenever I ate anything with cheese for dinner. However, her fears that are acting out in the dream are possible in the real world.

Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links