Handgunlaw.us Post on DC Permit Law Was Wrong (Old Law)

This is a discussion on Handgunlaw.us Post on DC Permit Law Was Wrong (Old Law) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I screwed up. The DC Code I posted earlier is not the newest version of the DC Code. I will use a Liberal defense tactic ...

Thread: Handgunlaw.us Post on DC Permit Law Was Wrong (Old Law)

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Handgunlaw.us Post on DC Permit Law Was Wrong (Old Law)

I screwed up. The DC Code I posted earlier is not the newest version of the DC Code. I will use a Liberal defense tactic here and tell you that the DC code is not the easiest thing to get around in sometimes. I was in there searching and found what I thought was the new version and it was actually an older version before the one they just repealed. I don't know why it can still be viewed.

DC Has repealed their law on issuing permit/license to carry. This was a major screw up on my part and I apologize for getting everyone worked up. I didn't check far enough. I am sorry for any inconvenience I have caused everyone. If my previous post on this issue could be removed by the admins I would greatly appreciate it. Gary Slider
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When it is convenient, would you post their new law? THat would be helpful.

No harm, no foul Gary, I had fun hating on those DC legislators anyway!

And yeah, would love to take a gander at the latest law...

I wish there would have not been any harm. I don't mind me looking like an idiot but I cast doubt on Handgunlaw.us. That is what I don't like.

Here is what will show up as info on the DC page 1/1/11 when the site given a major update with Iowa going shall issue. DC did repeal their Permit Issue law. They are No Issue Now.
    It won't make your blood boil near as much.

22-4502.01. Gun Free Zones; Enhanced Penalty [Formerly 22-3202.1]
    (a) All areas within 1000 feet of a public or private day care center, elementary school, vocational school, secondary school, college, junior college, or university, or any public swimming pool, playground, video arcade, or youth center, or an event sponsored by any of the above entities shall be declared a gun free zone.
    (b) Any person illegally carrying a gun within a gun free zone shall be punished by a fine up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, by a term of imprisonment up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, or both.
    7-2507.01
    (b) No person may loan, borrow, give, or rent to or from another person, any firearm, destructive device, or ammunition.
    22-4507 Certain Sales of Pistols Prohibited.

No person shall within the District of Columbia sell any pistol to a person who he or she has reasonable cause to believe is not of sound mind, or is forbidden by 22-4503 to possess a pistol, or, except when the relation of parent and child or guardian and ward exists, is under the age of 21 years.

22-4504.01. Authority to Carry Firearm in Certain Places and for Certain Purposes.

Notwithstanding any other law, a person holding a valid registration for a firearm may carry the firearm:
    (1) Within the registrant's home;
    (2) While it is being used for lawful recreational purposes;
    (3) While it is kept at the registrant's place of business; or
    (4) While it is being transported for a lawful purpose as expressly authorized by District or federal statute and in accordance with the requirements of that statute.

22-4503.02. Prohibition of Firearms From Public or Private Property.

(a) The District of Columbia may prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on its property and any property under its control.

(b) Private persons or entities owning property in the District of Columbia may prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on their property; provided, that this subsection shall not apply to law enforcement personnel when lawfully authorized to enter onto private property.

22-4502.01. Gun Free Zones; Enhanced Penalty.

(a) All areas within,1000 feet of an appropriately identified public or private day care center, elementary school, vocational school, secondary school, college, junior college, or university, or any public swimming pool, playground, video arcade, youth center, or public library, or in and around public housing as defined in section 3(1) of the United States Housing Act of 1937, approved August 22, 1974 (88 Stat. 654; 42 U.S.C. 1437a(b)), the development or administration of which is assisted by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, or in or around housing that is owned, operated, or financially assisted by the District of Columbia Housing Authority, or an event sponsored by any of the above entities shall be declared a gun free zone. For the purposes of this subsection, the term "appropriately identified" means that there is a sign that identifies the building or area as a gun free zone.

(b) Any person illegally carrying a gun within a gun free zone shall be punished by a fine up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, by a term of imprisonment up to twice that otherwise authorized to be imposed, or both.

(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person legally licensed to carry a firearm in the District of Columbia who lives or works within 1000 feet of a gun free zone or to members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps of the United States; the National Guard or Organized Reserves when on duty; the Post Office Department or its employees when on duty; marshals, sheriffs, prison, or jail wardens, or their deputies; policemen or other duly-appointed law enforcement officers; officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry such weapons; banking institutions; public carriers who are engaged in the business of transporting mail, money, securities, or other valuables; and licensed wholesale or retail dealers.

22-4514. Possession of Certain Dangerous Weapons Prohibited; Exceptions.

(a) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess any machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, knuckles, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, sand club, sandbag, switchblade knife, nor any instrument, attachment, or appliance for causing the firing of any firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any firearms; provided, however, that machine guns, or sawed-off shotgun, knuckles,s, and blackjacks may be possessed by the members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps of the United States, the National Guard, or Organized Reserves when on duty, the Post Office Department or its employees when on duty, marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen, or other duly-appointed law enforcement officers, including any designated civilian employee of the Metropolitan Police Department, or officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry such weapons, banking institutions, public carriers who are engaged in the business of transporting mail, money, securities, or other valuables, wholesale dealers and retail dealers licensed under 22-4510.

(b) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another, an imitation pistol, or a dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife with a blade longer than 3 inches, or other dangerous weapon.

(c) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in 22-4515 unless the violation occurs after such person has been convicted in the District of Columbia of a violation of this section, or of a felony, either in the District of Columbia or in another jurisdiction, in which case such person shall be imprisoned for not more than 10 years.

You can not carry a loaded firearm in any vehicle in the District of Columbia

DC ST 22-4504.02

District of Columbia Official Code 2001 Edition
    Division IV. Criminal Law and Procedure and Prisoners.
    Title 22. Criminal Offenses and Penalties. (Refs & Annos)
    Subtitle VI. Regulation and Possession of Weapons.
    Chapter 45. Weapons and Possession of Weapons. (Refs & Annos)
    22-4504.02. Lawful transportation of firearms.

(a) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited by the law from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be permitted to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm if the firearm is transported in accordance with this section.

(b)(1) If the transportation of the firearm is by a vehicle, the firearm shall be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.
    (2) If the transporting vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console, and the firearm shall be unloaded.

(c) If the transportation of the firearm is in a manner other than in a vehicle, the firearm shall be:
    (1) Unloaded;
    (2) Inside a locked container; and
    (3) Separate from any ammunition.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

I don't think it is harmful to your website. You did the right thing, and manned up and admitted your fault, which says something about your character, and the reliability of your website. Keep up the good work.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I, for one, appreciate your original posting....shows that you are involved and your retraction. I had sent this on to interested parties, and will now send a correction as well!

Thanks!

~<:Ssssssssssssssnake/""

Gary, I have a question. The latest version states "You can not carry a loaded firearm in any vehicle in the District of Columbia." If you possess a Nationwide HR218 permit, does this still apply?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

LEOSA Allows those who qualify under the Law to carry in DC. The RV/Car Carry Section at Handgunlaw.us header actually says "RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License That header was not included in my post about the law here. Every states page at Handgunlaw.us has a section about carrying in a vehicle without a valid permit/license in that state. That is where the line you quoted came from.

LEOSA info is available at Handgunlaw.us. If the state has put out info on it the links are on that states page. Click on USA at the bottom of the main page map at Handgunlaw.us and it will take you to the Federal end of LEOSA.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Thanks for letting us know. Can you lock the old post (or have a moderator do it) and make a link to this post?

No harm no oul. Takes a big man to own up to their mistake. I have made a few =).

Quote Originally Posted by gary slider View Post
    leosa allows those who qualify under the law to carry in dc. The rv/car carry section at handgunlaw.us header actually says "rv/car carry without a permit/license that header was not included in my post about the law here. Every states page at handgunlaw.us has a section about carrying in a vehicle without a valid permit/license in that state. That is where the line you quoted came from.

Leosa info is available at handgunlaw.us. If the state has put out info on it the links are on that states page. Click on usa at the bottom of the main page map at handgunlaw.us and it will take you to the federal end of leosa.
    thanks!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I for one just appreciate all you put into the site. It's an incredible resource for our community.

It seems to be quite well known DC is a no-carry zone, even when they theoretically "did" issue permits, they actually didn't. The DC gun laws are basically a waste of computer space since you can hardly keep a gun in your house right now.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

No harm, no foul. You're doing all of us a great service.
    Also, this one thing is posted on your website and it's very visible:
    You are responsible for validating your own information.

I'm sure a lot of people know that even though your website has a lot of accurate and useful information, it is not the end all and be all when it comes to handgun laws. Your advice to "call and check local laws where you plan to travel" is mentioned enough times on your website. I think that should cover you from liability. Lol

tommy3rd,

I always tell people to verify info. No one has all the answers. After doing this for 15+ years I have found out that there are to many people out there in Government Offices that should know the answers but have no idea. I have found out they will tell you what they think and many times they are wrong. I remember when the Arkansas State Police posted on their official website that Massachusetts would honor an AR permit. After months trying to get them to remove it I called the Massachusetts Licensing Division and they called Arkansas and straightened them out. The reason I know the AR State Police called me and got nasty with me for making them look bad. Now North Dakota did the same thing about 4 or 5 years ago. They listed Massachusetts as a state that would honor North Dakota Permit. I made one phone call and it 20 minutes the list was updated. I know how both these states made the mistake. Read MA law and the way it is worded you can get that impression but what their law says is not what it means.

But everyone do verify. Not just once but verify three times. I usually go by those rules and when I didn't I made a major error. I came across those old DC laws and knowing they repealed their Permit Law just 3 months ago it had to be the new one. I got really really mad reading it and reacted without thinking. I tell my students that when you carry a firearm you have to keep a level head. Boy did I blow that one out of the water. But it is not the first time but hoping it will be the last.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Links