Defensive Carry banner

OH and MI residents, I need help

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  oneshot 
#1 ·
In a few weeks I'm going to be traveling to Ohio first for a few days and then Michigan. I have checked and I can see my Tn permit is honored in both states so I will be carrying.

Are there any strange laws in either state I should know about? I tried posting this on another forum and kept getting conflicting responses and false information.

I know some states only allow you to carry 1 gun at a time, I was planning on carrying a BUG, especially when I'm in Detroit. Is this legal in OH and MI?

Thanks!

#2 ·
This is a much better place to get info about Ohio's law than just from me trying to repeat it: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/ConcealedCarry Check out the link on the right hand side for the Concealed Carry Manual.

You are not allowed to carry in any place that serves alcohol for consumption on site. There is a duty to inform LEO's. Car carry is somewhat normal now, it can be concealed on your person. I have never heard anything prohibiting BUGs. And signs are covered by law.

#5 ·
I read on here that there are some weird laws in Ohio about carrying in any place that has alcohol such as gas stations and such. I'm not sure if we were able to get to the bottom of that or not. As for Michigan I am a Michigan CPL holder and the only thing weird law I can thing of is going into a place of entertainment with seating of 2500 people or more. (That is right off the back of my license.) If you have any questions on Michigan gun laws call the Michigan State Police, they have been most helpful and the guys who I have talked to knew the laws pretty well. The link below is a bulletin put out by the MSP to all LEOs in the state regarding concealed carry in Michigan.

http://michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

#6 ·
I read on here that there are some weird laws in Ohio about carrying in any place that has alcohol such as gas stations and such. I'm not sure if we were able to get to the bottom of that or not. As for Michigan I am a Michigan CPL holder and the only thing weird law I can thing of is going into a place of entertainment with seating of 2500 people or more. (That is right off the back of my license.) If you have any questions on Michigan gun laws call the Michigan State Police, they have been most helpful and the guys who I have talked to knew the laws pretty well. The link below is a bulletin put out by the MSP to all LEOs in the state regarding concealed carry in Michigan.

http://michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf
Bear in mind I am not a lawyer, and my advice is worth what you are currently paying for it. The rule when it comes to places that sell alcohol in Ohio is this: If they sell it for consumption on premises (i.e. bar, restaurant, somewhere with a class D liquor license), then you can not, under the current law carry there. If they are just selling it, but not for consumption on premises (gas station, grocery store, stop n' rob), then, unless the business is posted in accordance with the law, you are free to carry there. Basically it comes down to the type of liquor license. If you can legally have an open container there, odds are you can not carry. You can't crack a beer at the BP, or Shell station.

Once again, verify anything that has to do with laws that you hear on the internet.

#7 ·
Here is one of the best places I know of for the state of Mi.
It is the Mi. State Police site which will also direct you to the pertinant laws, in specific.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654---,00.html

With one of the specifics below with its web page also with the info following the link,

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10953--,00.html

Information for CPL Holders

1. What must a CCW permit holder do when "stopped" by police?

Please See: Encounters with Police.

2. Are there any places where I may not carry a concealed pistol?

MCL 28.425o Anyone licensed to carry a concealed pistol from Michigan or another state shall not carry a concealed pistol in any of the pistol free zones. For a complete list, please see: Pistol Free Areas . Under Federal law, firearms are also restricted in federal facilities. A federal facility means "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the federal government, where federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties." This includes facilities such as post offices and federal courts.

3. When may a concealed pistol be seized?

MCL 28.425g . A pistol carried in violation of this act is subject to seizure and forfeiture in the same manner that property is subject to seizure and forfeiture under sections 4701 to 4709 of the revised judicature act of 961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.4701 to 600.4709 . This section does not apply if the violation is a state civil infraction under section 5f unless the individual fails to present his or her license within the 45-day period described in that section.

4. Does my valid Concealed Pistol License allow me to carry a concealed pistol in a state park?

Yes. MCL 324.504 states that the DNR cannot promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits a ccw holder from carrying on property under the control of the DNR.

AS a side note for Oh.

I do know you must have the firearm ina holster , to be legal,. If I recall

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.