New CCW member with holster/belt question, please offer suggestions!!!

This is a discussion on New CCW member with holster/belt question, please offer suggestions!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a Glock 23 Gen 4 and I already have a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster, but I wanted to get an IWB holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CCW member with holster/belt question, please offer suggestions!!!

I just got a Glock 23 Gen 4 and I already have a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster, but I wanted to get an IWB holster also. Pretty set on the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe (Comp-tac Minotaur MTAC is similar, heard good things about Raven Phantom, but leaning towards Crossbreed.) What do y'all recommend? If Crossbreed, should ......I go with cow or horsehide and does anyone have the combat cut? I would order it regular since it can always be cut later if I want. Any good belts and what width? Some friends have the 1.75" 5.11 Operator (Blackhawk Instructor and Wilderness Tactical are similar), 1.25" Blackhawk CQC and 5.11 Casual belts have a reinforced spine, or Crossbreed makes their own that seem to be good quality. Please offer some opinions! Thanks

I can't comment on any of your holster choices, I'm a leather guy. But I would strongly suggest sticking with a 1.5" gunbelt. It fits almost everything from dress pants to jeans. It is imperative that your holster slots match your belt, so you can't just go different directions. Welcome to the forum, bet you're freezing your fanny off!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Thanks, I'll have to double check with the slots before purchasing a belt. Umm...Yeah it's cold! haha I don't know how much but we must have gotten dumped with close to a foot of snow! All the better for wearing bigger clothes to hide my concealed Glock ;)

I carry a Glock in a simlar holster to those you've described. Having the regular cut myself, I can see how the combat cut would be nice but not having it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The only belt Ive owned and can recommend from experience is a BladeTech with the Kydex insert. Love it. Many others use several different belts and each person seems pretty well pleased with their own personal choice. If you order a Crossbreed holster, why not stick with the Crossbreed belt too? Doesn't seem you can go wrong with the Wilderness however.. People seem to really dig 'em. I'd stick with the wider ones if you can pull it off with your manner of dress.

Welcome to the mix. Stay warm and safe out there.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Should I get a normal dress style belt instead of those trainer/rigger type belts so it blends in better? I don't know if people really notice either way and I don't really wear tucked shirts often, but I guess I would rather wear a normal looking one...

VIP Member
    For the holster I have Kholsters for all my carry guns. See the sponsor link at the top of the page. These are like the CBST, but more adjustable and less expensive. For the belt I prefer a 1.5" dress belt but whatever fits your style of dress is fine so long as it is a gun gelt. I can't over emphasize the comfort and value of the Kholster.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

If you're getting a crossbreed, I suggest getting their belt too. Both great quality. I got the cowhide, but I think it really just comes down to personal preference. And the combat cut you could do yourself.

VIP Member
    The ONLY IWB I use now is Crossbreed. Get the combat cut. It's worth it. Unless you live in a really hot and humid climate the horsehide is just extra expense.

As far as belts go, I have heard good things about Crossbreed's belts. I have a couple of Beltman and Wilderness belts. The Wilderness are actually the belt I wear everyday for work, at which I cannot carry. It is just that comfortable and my phone holster fits it. The Beltman belts are better looking, more "normal", but they tend to be fairly thick. I have found most phone holsters, and a few gun holster, do not work well with them because of this.

Good luck. Find what works for YOU.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Dress vs casual

For suits look at Galco dress belts. I use their 1 1/2" width, no belt loop problem but check yours. It is good for around 32 ounces of gun/ammo in a pancake style holster.

For jeans or cargo's look at Beltman's offerings if you plan to carry a heavy (40 + ounces?) gun. They work.

I have a Wilderness 3 stitch 1 1/2" which is too flimsy for much more than a Kahr P9 or S&W #60. I also have a 1 3/4" Wilderness with stiffener which is OK for a medium weight gun but a bare get-by with a heavy gun. Any future casual/outdoor wear belts will be Beltman's for me.

I have a crossbreed supertuck iwb and I love it. I also sprung for the crossbreed belt, and I strongly recommend doing the same. It's a very nice looking 1.5" belt that fits perfectly with the holster, is very rigid and tough, has a lifetime warranty, and will work with any apparel. BTW, I carry a fully loaded xdM 3.8 in .40, occasionally with a spare mag. I don't have any problems with the weight of the gun, the holster and belt combo work perfectly.

i have a crossbreed for one of my .380's and just purchased a glock 23 and ordered a crossbreed holster as soon as i got home with my new glock. i didn't get the combat cut as my other crossbreed doesn't have the combat cut and i have no issues with it. i have a belt from a local gun store (cant remember the brand) and its 1.75 and it fits my crossbreed clips perfectly.

I have both the crossbreed supertuck in horsehide, non combat cut, and their belt. I love the holster, not real impressed with the belt. Maybe my standards are too high, but the buckle feels (and looks imo) pretty cheap, and it already looks as worn as my older belts after just a few months. For $70 or so I was expecting more.

I picked up the cow hide CrossBreed Supertuck. The benefit of the horse hide is that it has better water resistance. My cow hide serves me well and has conformed to fit me personally. I've been wearing it daily for about a year and a half with a CrossBreed belt most of the time.

As far as belts go, don't forget that most pants won't take a 1.75" belt. 1.5" is the standard belt loop size with many dress pants using 1.25" belt loops. I've got a CrossBreed belt that I love, and a locally made belt that I like almost as much. I also lust after a belt from the Beltman. (elephant hide in natural grey...mmmm....)

The key factor to a leather belt is getting a double thick belt that is properly made, and having a good buckle. The buckle that came with my CrossBreed is a very good buckle, so I have a different experience from "Ford"

Good luck and congrats on the CCW.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

The CBST is hands down one of the best holsters you can use. With the Glocks light weaght you may have to knock on the grip to make sure its there. If you ware an under shirt the combat cut is up to you. If you don't you may not want the combat cut.

I have the 23 in a HBE Com III, buy yourself a Beltman belt.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links