Sheep, Sheepdogs.... - Page 3

Sheep, Sheepdogs....

This is a discussion on Sheep, Sheepdogs.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like to claim that I am a Sheepdog but, my Great-Grandma had a fling with a Wolf that produced my Grandpa! That joke being ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sheep, Sheepdogs....

I like to claim that I am a Sheepdog but, my Great-Grandma had a fling with a Wolf that produced my Grandpa! That joke being used, I live within 10 miles of the Mexican Border and would not go unarmed for any reason!

My Wife also carries and does not do so only one morning in each week, the morning she drives on to the local Military post to hit the Commissary for the weeks groceries!

Yes, your carry status and alert condition may vary based on where you live but; I submit that if you are on this Forum your state should never go to pure Green!

The Sheep in the OP's quote are in pure Green! Convince me where this is good!
    Last edited by jmiked; December 17th, 2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Failed to Double Check! My Bad!!!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

The real sheep dog does not protect the sheep for their sake. He protects them for his master, who is going to shear them for profit and/or eat them. He does exactly what his master, the guy who makes a profit from the sheep, tells him to do. If you follow a master and protect his investments then I guess you are a sheepdog.

Me, I like to think of myself as more like the family dog. Stay out of my yard, leave my kids alone and I am just a friendly old hound. Mess with my family and I will tear you to ribbons.

As far as the guy next door is concerned, he needs to get a nice family dog of his own.

Yup, I am a family dog.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Vindication for my avatar? . . .
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Me, I like to think of myself as more like the family dog. Stay out of my yard, leave my kids alone and I am just a friendly old hound. Mess with my family and I will tear you to ribbons.

As far as the guy next door is concerned, he needs to get a nice family dog of his own.

Yup, I am a family dog.
    Good one. I'll have to remember that

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Much wisdom from wsj2657!

Especially, with the case law involving defending a third party in his state, I, too, would be very hesitant to defend an adult third party.

In my state, it is very clear that any person can defend a third party with deadly force, but when the day comes that my PD badge is mounted on a plaque, and my income direct-deposited from a pension system, I will become much more hesitant to defend an adult unknown to me, especially if there is ANY possibility the incident is anything other than a stranger-versus-stranger attack. After all, I live in Texas, with a shall-issue concealed handgun license system, and a world in which situational awareness should be the responsibility of each adult.

While wearing a badge, I have intervened in plenty of situations that were found to NOT be black-and-white, but two shades of gray, between folks acquainted with each other, and NEITHER party innocent. Plenty of other times, the parties did not know each other, but the "victim" had made fundamental errors in judgement, or drank themselves into trouble. With the badge, I have the responsibility to maintain the peace, coupled with a great deal of immunity, and PD and union attorneys to back me up, if I follow policy and proper procedure. Without the badge, I don't have the duty to respond, and no little to no backing from any organization.

I imagine the warrior mentality, to protect the weak, will be slow to fade away, but my circle of protection is sure to shrink, when I become a private citizen. Really, it has already shrunk, because I am getting older, slower, and weaker. As the fictional detective, Dirty Harry, said, "A man has to know his limitations," or words to that effect.
    Last edited by Rexster; December 18th, 2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: clarification

Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Dunno.. I think I Am The Walrus.

"Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links