Boycotting anti-gun employers and anti-gun companies...

This is a discussion on Boycotting anti-gun employers and anti-gun companies... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work for a fortune 100 pharmaceutical company. I don't see how you could successfully hold a boycott of any major company. Most companies either ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boycotting anti-gun employers and anti-gun companies...

I work for a fortune 100 pharmaceutical company. I don't see how you could successfully hold a boycott of any major company. Most companies either own other companies or partially own other companies that you may not even be aware of.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Why dot we list our employers and then we can all boycott them and let them know that until their employees have the ability to carry a firearm at work they will not see a dime of our money.
    Excellent idea. I suggest we start with EVERY FEDERAL EMPLOYEE.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    No Gaz don't want to start anything I apologize for getting an attitude been a long day.

America as a whole is not a gun culture anymore and over the years it became the trend and acceptable to be anti whatever. Emails, faxes and letter writing campaigns mostly have a very limited short lived affect on a bigger company. Boycotts very seldom work because even if people stick with them they are already built into profit margins and risk assessments. Companies who lose business because of something like a boycott simply give better deals to draw in a new customer base and often times good old fashioned greed takes over and no matter how good the cause that started the boycott people flock back.

I truly do not know if we will ever get 100% rights back from the anti gun folks, who knows but I do feel that a business has the right to say "No" to bringing a weapon into/on their property for whatever reason. There are gun shops, and I mean mom and pop type stores, that do not let customers carry in the stores simply because of some of the stunts people do with a firearm. I can see where the big chain stores have some restrictions it would all revolve around common sense.
    Please just in case anyone was about to say anything. I am not anti anything firearms, carry whenever you legally can open or concealed. (Note I do have a problem carrying a rifle to a restaurant just because you can, but that is my opinion) and spread the word to others. Teach the new generation, pass on traditions, do whatever you can to promote gun rights.

When I am home I live in a smaller community. I use a local city bank that has been there for a hundred years. I shop locally when I can for most items. I am not aware of anyplace in our city that is posted or where anyone would say anything. I wore a badge for all of my adult life so never worried about signs and such I have to really watch myself now when home that I don't wander in someplace I am not supposed to but concealed means concealed so they would not know I am carrying anyway.

Keep the faith my friend and stick to your guns so to speak. If you ever get anything started let me know and if I agree will be more than happy to sign up or boycott whichever place it is. Unless it is Taco Bell. I would kill for Taco Bell right now it has been awhile. Or a really good chili dog. Other than that I would support the boycott. Or anyplace that sells Jack Daniels by the case.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    So Gaz where are you gonna start first? Lets pull the kids out of school and buy 300 pounds of rice because we can't shop at most grocery stores.

People are more than willing to take a stand but where do your rights begin and the other persons end? A business has the absolute right to say what happens on their property. If you want to send a letter,fax or email telling them why you are taking your toys and going somewhere else that's fine but don't post some guilt trip laden message about how everyone else does nothing to defend our rights and liberties. I personally can defend myself in most situations without a firearm or with good SA keep myself totally out of those situations entirely.

So please tell us what you have done and places you have stopped going to in order to further everyones rights?
    Well the thread was started about when peoples rights begin and peoples rights end. Everytime you ignore a no guns sign or you break your companies policy on no firearms then you don't respect the rights of others to determine what happens on their own property. The fact that gunowners carry when asked not to is what makes this idea so great. If we all put pressure on the company to allow their employees to bring a firearm to work, then we can get our voices heard rather than just ignoring these policies.

If a company gets so many letters explaining that they will no longer be patronized and are boycotted by other businesses and business owners then they will change their policies. This is the free market at work and the most effective way to get change. Just carrying anyway because you can get away with it is not only dishonest but cowardly in that you will break the rules and not face the consequences. Here is a free market alternative that respects the rights of the property owner as well as the gunowner, we should embrace it.

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalfan View Post
    How does Regions protect you by posting that sign? Crooks don't read! MissouriCarry.com has a Boycott list on their website. Some do, some don't as the signs in MO don't mean anything.
    Well he should change banks to one that allows customers and employees to carry.
    Who cares if criminals read the sign or not, we are talking about respecting peoples rights.

One of the biggest anti-gun businesses of them all are the insurance companies. They're the one's who do the risk assessments (underwrite) and offer a token discount to businesses for posting these signs (liability).

Rarely do the ideological believes of an individual or company have much to do with these signs.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Domino's is very anti-gun. They'd be surprised how many of their delivery drivers carry, including me.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Domino's is very anti-gun. They'd be surprised how many of their delivery drivers carry, including me.
    You might want to edit that last post, so you are not publicly declaring your active disregard for your employer's rules. Maybe just re-phrase to depersonalize it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Well Toorop I am a bit confused by the posts you have.

Well the thread was started about when peoples rights begin and peoples rights end we are talking about respecting peoples rights

It is entirely within the business owners right to say what happens or is brought onto their property. They have rights to just as a homeowner I have the right to say what happens or what is brought onto my property. The business owners rights are no less important than mine so if he says no firearms I have to respect that. If you choose, as is your right, to go somewhere else with your business you can. You cannot trounce on someone else's right for the sake of yours. Sorry it does not work that way.

I am sure business owners have many reasons why they would not want their employees armed. Again that is up to them it is their company. If you don't want to work there don't that is your right.
    In todays economy a person often times cannot change banks on the premise that since I can't carry a gun in your business my $200,000 mortgage, my child's college fund, and my CD's are all going somewhere else even though I would lose 10-20% on my money invested (Generic statement don't know what the loss rate would be). You would quit a job that pays for your house, car, kids school lose your retirement because you can't carry a gun while working? To me that seems rather childish that since you won't play with me by my rules in your sandbox I am taking my toys and going home.

I personally cannot imagine the crew at McDonalds carrying firearms while serving me my Big Mac but that is just me. I will say again I applaud your thoughts and efforts for the furtherment of 2nd amendment and gunowners rights but you have to pick your battles and use a more realistic approach than to petition your boss, possibly lose your job, change banks, lose untold amounts of money in a bad economy for the sake of carrying a gun.

Oh and no offense but I would very much appreciate it if you would either explain to me or refrain from inferring that in some way shape or form that I or any other person on this board is cowardly. You have no idea or have little or no knowledge about the me or the people on this board.

Just an opinion
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Why don't they know you carry? I assume your manager knows, but I could be wrong.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I proudly boycott the Post Office. I use the local pack-and-ship place. I get to patronize the local owner, an Indian guy who runs it with his family. I can rent a PO Box there if I need one, and have them sign for packages I pick up later.

I use the pleasant UPS/FedEx people who need the work, and refuse my business to the surly losers in the USPS uniforms. I occasionally get a registered letter to pick up at the 'official' Post Office. I throw the notice away and ignore them.
    I hate to break this to you, but the Post Office and FedEx are contract partners and use the the same transport networks nation wide. That local mail store is also simply a delivery point for, you guessed it The United States Postal Service. They do not have any delivery network what so ever unless it is the UPS store.

And, BTW those "Surly Losers" in USPS uniforms are probably Veterans and also have to put up with the most ridiculously mismanaged "Business Model" ever known to man yet still manage to get the mail delivered with an unprecedented (world wide) record of success and competence at a price that is less than half of any other delivery service in the world. If you see long lines at the post office during lunch hour, blame the upper level management who have been told that they will be in the big money as advisers and consultants once postal delivery is privatized.

I would also like to point out that the post office is the second or third largest employer in the united states and none of the operating costs are paid for with taxes. It is completely self supporting. Even though it is totally mismanaged and wastes more money daily than you could imagine.

Yes, I am a Surly Loser my self. </rant>

BOT

I agree with the OP to the point that I do talk with and send letters/emails to businesses that are anti 2A and take my business elsewhere. I am hog tied when it comes to my job but there is a slim possibility that this may be a changeable situation.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    In this economy, I can't see doing anything to hurt my employer financially. I just got this job and I kinda like living in a house and eating food!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    In this economy, I can't see doing anything to hurt my employer financially. I just got this job and I kinda like living in a house and eating food!
    +1. I try to build business for my employer as it is the livlihood of my family and a cornerstone of the community (financially and otherwise). I may not agree with this one issue, but the overall mission and what they contribute to the community in terms of the service provided and being a large employer all more than offset that issue for me. I also have the opportunity at work to bring more people into 2A and carry. I've received a lot of satisfaction from that.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    The carrying while at work thread got me thinking about anti-gun companies that forbid their employees from carrying at work.
    Why dot we list our employers and then we can all boycott them and let them know that until their employees have the ability to carry a firearm at work they will not see a dime of our money.
    I prefer to direct my anger and energy towards supporting state and local laws that AFFIRM our Second Amendment rights.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I prefer to direct my anger and energy towards supporting state and local laws that AFFIRM our Second Amendment rights.
    What about ones that affirm property rights?

Would anyone support a law for their state that made it a misdemeanor or even a felony to ignore signage or company policy, assuming they have been informed of such policy, and made it a criminal violation of sorts? Property owners need to have their rights protected and respected as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links