Boycotting anti-gun employers and anti-gun companies...

This is a discussion on Boycotting anti-gun employers and anti-gun companies... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The carrying while at work thread got me thinking about anti-gun companies that forbid their employees from carrying at work. Why dot we list our ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boycotting anti-gun employers and anti-gun companies...

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar

Boycotting anti-gun employers and anti-gun companies...

The carrying while at work thread got me thinking about anti-gun companies that forbid their employees from carrying at work. Why dot we list our employers and then we can all boycott them and let them know that until their employees have the ability to carry a firearm at work they will not see a dime of our money.

I work for Panduit Corporation doing sales. I am forbidden to carry while at work and when on sale trips using the company vehicle.

Where do you work?

2. Remove Ads

I work for the Post Office. Forbidden for employees and customers. No guns allowed evan in your car.

kpw
    The general public doesn't buy the products we produce so it would have zero effect. My company isn't anti-anything. No contracts to sign, no employee handbook but they do have a rules sheet posted on a bulletin board. One is no weapons including knives. They would have to fire more than half the guys there on that one, nevermind the multiple dozens that have rifles, shotguns and bows in their cars during hunting season. It's a rule that isn't enforced, like a few others.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    Toorop. While I applaud your sense of duty so to speak I don't know of many if any on here that would risk their lively hood in order to prove a point about carrying a firearm at work.

Secondly as I have stated many times boycotting a business because of it's reported anti gun feelings most of the time has little to no effect in the long term on their business and seldom results in a changing of attitudes.

Lastly their is no way you can boycott anti gun businesses or companies and even pretend to live a normal life. I will issue this challenge to you though. If you wish to boycott anti gun things and places you will stop eating out at most restaurants, shop only in mom and pop grocery stores until you have vetted the company who owns the store is pro gun. You will not listen to music, watch movies or television until again you have vetted the company that makes the movie and the actors, actresses, singers and other performers are not anti gun.
    You may not allow you children to attend school, if you have any, as the PTA, Nat. Teachers Assn., school principals, vice principals and health care providers mostly all belong to teaching associations that support gun control. You may not go to the hospital, be seen by a nurse or doctor as the AMA, and most medical associations are anti gun. You cannot work for the Union as they support gun control.

As I said I applaud you passion but you better know what you are getting into before you start. Let me know how it works out for you.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Toorop. While I applaud your sense of duty so to speak I don't know of many if any on here that would risk their lively hood in order to prove a point about carrying a firearm at work.

Secondly as I have stated many times boycotting a business because of it's reported anti gun feelings most of the time has little to no effect in the long term on their business and seldom results in a changing of attitudes.

Lastly their is no way you can boycott anti gun businesses or companies and even pretend to live a normal life. I will issue this challenge to you though. If you wish to boycott anti gun things and places you will stop eating out at most restaurants, shop only in mom and pop grocery stores until you have vetted the company who owns the store is pro gun. You will not listen to music, watch movies or television until again you have vetted the company that makes the movie and the actors, actresses, singers and other performers are not anti gun.
    You may not allow you children to attend school, if you have any, as the PTA, Nat. Teachers Assn., school principals, vice principals and health care providers mostly all belong to teaching associations that support gun control. You may not go to the hospital, be seen by a nurse or doctor as the AMA, and most medical associations are anti gun. You cannot work for the Union as they support gun control.

As I said I applaud you passion but you better know what you are getting into before you start. Let me know how it works out for you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^As stated in the above post^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some of it is a very difficult and long road to go around.

Most of the time it is not so much the people who work at a place,(the kids school, the doctors office/hospital) ETC,,,,,,,

But laws, or 30.06 signs banning the carry into the respective place.

Here is a start though, at least in Michigan. At the site here, at Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gunowners ::

http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_no_gun_signs.asp
    They list as many places of mostly retail business that either has signs or refuses admittance to their establishment if you are legally carrying your firearm.
    Here is a fraction of that list, specifically for Mi. remember ::

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Name (click to sort) City County Type Business Address

Value City Furniture Taylor Wayne Retail 23859 Eureka Road
    Michigan Kenworth Grand Rapids Kent Service 7393 Expressway Ct SW
    Oscoda Health Park Oscoda Iosco Health Care 5939 Huron Road
    Value City Furniture Novi Oakland Retail 43610 W Oaks Dr
    Lake Trust Credit Union Mount Pleasant Isabella Credit Union 1011 N. Harris Street
    Wayne Westland Federal Westland Wayne Credit Union 500 South Wayne Road
    Cellular One East Tawas Iosco Retail 200 W Bay St # 3
    Renaissance Festival Holly Oakland Fairground 12600 Dixie Highway
    Lake Trust Credit Union Okemos Ingham CreditUnion 1821 Newman Rd
    Michigan Kenworth Grand Rapids Kent Retail US 131 Exit 75
    Preferred Federal Greenville Montcalm CreditUnion 534 N. Lafayette
    Leppinks Food Howard Montcalm Retail 730 W Shaw St
    Dist Health Dept #2 West Branch Ogemaw Health Care 630 Progress St
    Family Health Care Baldwin Lake Health Care 1615 Michigan Ave
    Sunrise Family Credit Union Standish Arenac CreditUnion 3887 S. Huron Rd
    Church's Chicken Detroit Wayne Restaurant 16100 Livernois Ave
    Jared Galleria of Jewelry Grandville Kent Retail 3610 Rivertown Pkwy SW
    Lake Trust Credit Union Lansing Ingham CreditUnion 501 S Capitol Ave
    Touchstone Innovare Grand Rapids Kent Health Care 201 Sheldon Ave SE
    Good Shepard Credit Union Lincoln Park Wayne CreditUnion 4111 Fort Street
    Ferguson Enterprises Jackson Jackson Distributor 730 E. Mansion St
    Financial Plus Credit Union Flint Genesee CreditUnion G-3381 Van Slyke Road
    Valvoline Instant Oil Change Livonia Wayne Service 31151 Five Mile Rd
    Lake Trust Credit Union Hastings Barry CreditUnion 202 E. State St
    United Financial Credit Union Bridgeport Saginaw CreditUnion 5658 Dixie Hwy
    Borgess Fitness Center Kalamazoo Kalamazoo Service 3025 Gull Road

Its a place to start, as inroads have to start somewhere. Lewis and Clark had one heck of an undertaking ,but look where it got them.

If you want to join a health club, and they are on the list, go join another one, and then Tell the one you rejected why.
    Yes it may not matter right away, and maybe not ever, but at least in your mind, at the time, you will have done what you thought was proper.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

"Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine

*"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
    media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Unknown
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I tend to not patronize businesses that do not allow carry unless I don't have a choice or it isn't worth it to me to go across town. In my area, there aren't many so it isn't an issue. Ironically, my employer happens to be posted for both the public and employees (one of the only places in town). I was able to get the written ok to keep in my car, and I also carry on trips. I'm not going to change their mind and with 17 years with the company I have achieved some incentives to stay. It's a decision we all have to make and I've decided the pros outweigh the cons to the point of not changing because in the given industry I've worked in for 19 years, 99.99% of all of those places are posted as well. The company has been very good to me and my family. We have a security department and security codes we call overhead. I carry a FLB and pepper spray. That's not the best, but its better than absolutely nothing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can't go along with the boycotting of business for almost any reason. Most businesses are too expanse for it to have any effect. The only ones it might make a dent in the sales are the mom-and-pop businesses. I have too much respect for the little guy tryig to make it in the big-guy business world to put him and his few employees in the unemployment line with me!

I don't arbitrarily walk away at teh first hint of a "no guns" sign. Either I want something the place has and I'm willing to deal with it for a few minutes, or I don't. Businesses have rights too, and mine are to suck it up and disarm or leave.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Church's Chicken Detroit Wayne Restaurant 16100 Livernois Ave

What is the world coming to that you can't carry in Church's Chicken. I am taking my business to KFC.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I work for the VA (Veterans Medical Clinic) Forbidden for anyone but me (or another VA Cop) to carry. I'm a Federal Cop for the VA.
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Moderator
    My bank, Regions, just posted "No Firearms". The manager claims it's to protect me. I face this choice now - do I continue to conduct business with this bank, that has served me well for years and years, or change to another bank that doesn't prohibit carry.

In this case is seems like a no-brainer, just move my business, etc. to another bank - no boycott, just personal preference. However, how long will it be until the bank I move to does the same thing? Well, I can always move to another and another until there is none left to move to.

When it's all said and done, there just aren't enough of us willing to take a stand to make a difference. It's hard to believe that if every gun owner that does business with my bank said they wion't be back, that the bank would continue their no gun policy. But, many gun owners don't care, others carry concealed anyway, so it's not an issue to them, and the few that would take a stand just aren't enough to matter.

And, I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't see anything in the Constitution that gives institutions the right to infringe on rights protected by the Constitution. Wanna know the biggest offender? The states themselves. What gives the states the right to turn a Constitutional right into a privilige granted or taken away by the state? Of course I'm referring to concealed carry permits - they are licenses issued by the state; if you don't have a state approved license ON YOU, you are carrying illegally.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

How does Regions protect you by posting that sign? Crooks don't read! MissouriCarry.com has a Boycott list on their website. Some do, some don't as the signs in MO don't mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by edclacro View Post
    I work for the Post Office. Forbidden for employees and customers. No guns allowed evan in your car.
    I proudly boycott the Post Office. I use the local pack-and-ship place. I get to patronize the local owner, an Indian guy who runs it with his family. I can rent a PO Box there if I need one, and have them sign for packages I pick up later.

I use the pleasant UPS/FedEx people who need the work, and refuse my business to the surly losers in the USPS uniforms. I occasionally get a registered letter to pick up at the 'official' Post Office. I throw the notice away and ignore them.

Gaz
    Looking over the posts in this thread, it isn't surprising that so many businesses have No Gun policies for customers and/or employees. Hardly any of us are willing to take a stand and let our voice be heard. Of course it would take effort, require some sacrifices and take time to work. It has taken time for it to build up to the point it is at now. For all our griping about our rights and liberties being infringed, when it comes time to sit down and write a letter or find another place to shop, we're not willing to do it.

I realize this is a complex issue, I'm not trying to make it simple. I'm only trying to point out that if we want to see change, we should expect that we're going to have to work for it. You also don't have to try to tackle everything at once. Taking it one step at a time will make it more manageable. Next time you see a no guns sign, take 15 minutes to go somewhere else and then write an e-mail to each store to let them know why you chose to patronize one store over the other. Over time, enough of us taking action would accumulate into real change, but we have to be willing to make the change first.

VIP Member
    So Gaz where are you gonna start first? Lets pull the kids out of school and buy 300 pounds of rice because we can't shop at most grocery stores.

People are more than willing to take a stand but where do your rights begin and the other persons end? A business has the absolute right to say what happens on their property. If you want to send a letter,fax or email telling them why you are taking your toys and going somewhere else that's fine but don't post some guilt trip laden message about how everyone else does nothing to defend our rights and liberties. I personally can defend myself in most situations without a firearm or with good SA keep myself totally out of those situations entirely.

So please tell us what you have done and places you have stopped going to in order to further everyones rights?

Gaz
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    So Gaz where are you gonna start first? Lets pull the kids out of school and buy 300 pounds of rice because we can't shop at most grocery stores.

People are more than willing to take a stand but where do your rights begin and the other persons end? A business has the absolute right to say what happens on their property. If you want to send a letter,fax or email telling them why you are taking your toys and going somewhere else that's fine but don't post some guilt trip laden message about how everyone else does nothing to defend our rights and liberties. I personally can defend myself in most situations without a firearm or with good SA keep myself totally out of those situations entirely.

So please tell us what you have done and places you have stopped going to in order to further everyones rights?
    I doubt you want this to turn into a thread where we are regale each other with our grand strides promoting individual liberties. I place myself in the category of not doing enough.

In any case, I'm only trying to make the point that there is frequently a disconnect between the way we discuss the esteem we hold our Constitutionally granted rights in, and the personal actions we're willing to take to extend and protect those rights. I'm sorry if you found my tone preachy, I was hoping to rouse us from our complacent position to one of activism, but I may have been too pushy. No offense intended.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links