Revolver Carry?

This is a discussion on Revolver Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have both a j frame and a semi. Hot weather gets the j frame....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revolver Carry?

I have both a j frame and a semi. Hot weather gets the j frame.

2. Remove Ads

I have carried for over 40 years, now. Have carried: Charter arms, Smith and Ruger revolvers; Walther, Colt Mustang, and other semi autos.
    The 38 revolver was at one time, standard police issue. They got a bad rap when recreational drugs were making zombies out of people, and those round, lead, low velocity bullets would not put a druggie down who attacked an officer or a civilian. In those days, you either got a 357 or a 45, if you were a LEO working "those" areas.
    Now, there are ammo manufacturers making stuff which makes modern ammo 38s with more "stopping power" than the older 357 loads. The buffalo bores, hydrashok, silvertips, and many permutations of +p ammo. I do not feel undergunned at all with my smith 642.
    For a pocket or IWB carry, the "hammerless" models are great. Very concealable, and all you have to do to operate it is pull teh trigger. No safeties, or forgetting to rack on in the chamber. If the cartridge don't go bang, pull the trigger again.
    As far as the argument against 38s, if I had to use it, I firmly believe the Winchester SWCHP +P round will stop the fight as well as anything I can carry IWB or pocket. (I am only 5-7)

Gotta go with what you are comfortable in using, and do practice with it. Remember, if you need it, it has to work right the first time.

Used to carry the autos and still do from time to time, but for my EDC it's my LCR .38 and out the door I go. I carry IWB all day long and haven't had a problem at all. I've even started leaving my Taurus 650 .357 at home cause I feel 100% confident in both my LCR and my ability to defend myself should the need arise. Besides, if the pooh hits the fan, I always have my 12 gauge in the trunk.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

S&W M&P340 snubnose in an Alessi Apex appendix IWB. I wear fairly slim-fitting clothes, and this is easy for me to conceal, and easy to get to if I needed it. I highly recommend the airweight S&W's, although not necessarily the 340PD because of the titanium cylinder. Mine is so light I forget it's there!

I have 6 extra rounds in a Bianchi Speed Strip. I wear jeans almost every day, and that little coin pocket inside/above the right front pocket seems like it was made for a Speed Strip!

gun pic 3.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpg
    M64,M66,M22 THUNDER RANCH 44 SPL
    These are my off duty working guns, although I carry a Glock 26 sometimes. All revolvers are carried in pancake style holsters.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I often carry my Big Boomer - S&W 625. When needed it makes big holes.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I've gotten the revolver bug so bad that I'm not only switched from my Sig P220 to a S&W 65, and am currently trying to trade my Sig for a Taurus 617. I just prefer them now to semi-autos. Plus that 617 will make a great BUG when I hopefully start Border Patrol.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I love my Glocks, and my Glock-36 is my EDC.
    That said, however, I have steadily grown attached to my Ruger SP101 in .357/3"...so I understand your attachment to a revolver.
    There is just something special about a revolver built like a tank...everybody should have at least one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Q: Do you carry a revolver?

A: Yes, often more than one.

Q: I am thinking about going back to a revolver from semi-auto's. I like that they are simple to use... always work (if you have a decent one) and, the big part for me, the wife can use one with no jack-the-slide type of concerns. I don't know.... maybe I just need to work with her to learn good semi-auto skills?

A: Is this revolver for her to carry, or you? Many women simply refuse to learn the autoloader, because they are more comfortable with revolvers. My recommendation: do NOT fight that.

Q: So.... for those of you who carry a Revolver... what do you carry, how do you carry and any other thoughts you have on it.

A: 2.25" and 3.06" Ruger SP101, 4" S&W Model 19, Ruger GP100, in approximately that order of frequency.

A: Holsters: Milt Sparks PMK and 200AW, Kramer and Haugen crossdraw holsters, Galco Concealables. It depends on the pants, belt, cover garment, and such factors. I virtually always wear the "primary" weapon in the same place.

I put plenty more thoughts, that I don't want to dig up, copy, and paste, in here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ernal-Conflict

I am always carrying a 442 in my pocket, in a Remora holster.

When I am driving, it's easy to use the same holster in crossdraw fashion

Nothing wrong with a wheelgun.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    S&W 342 Titanium 5 shot in a Galco pocket holster and a variety of weak side pistols in Remora holsters for cross draw.

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    I'm primarily devoted to my semi-automatic handguns, but that's not the case for my family. My Dad carries a 3-inch SP101 in .357, my Mom carries a Taurus 605 in .357 and my wife carries a Charter Arms Lavender Lady in .38 Special. They like the revolvers due to the simplicity of them. My dad has always owned revolvers and so sticking with what he knows is easier than having to learn something new!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Cool

Ruger SP 101 with High Noon Mr. Softy IWB holster and Speer 125 grain Gold Dots. For a softer load any quality .38 Special 158 grain LSWCHP +P. My $ .02 but it works well for me when I carrry a wheel gun.

:P18174701.jpg
    Last edited by Old School; December 19th, 2010 at 09:29 AM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I sometimes carry a Ruger LCR (5 x 38 +P) in a Kholster IWB or I pocket carry some too. I the winter months I love to carry my "heavy snubby" a SW 624 stainless (6 x 44 Spl) weighing in at 2.5 lbs empty, in a hide riding leather OWB. Yes it's heavy, but a good gun belt bears the weight and keeps it snug to my side. It is actually very comfortable to carry, but it's shear size and weight will never let you forget that you a carrying a weapon, and that's a good thing in my book. Whereas when carrying the 9.5 oz LCR it is very easy for me sometimes forget it is even on my person, and that can sometimes be dangerous in and of itself.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

If I'm in a wheelgun sort of mood I'll carry my Ruger SP101, .357 Magnum, 3-1/16" barrel in my Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB holster. I absolutely love the SuperTucks, have one also for my SIG SP2022. Very comfortable.

As Zacii said, nothing wrong with a wheelgun.
    Four Rugers, three SIG Sauers; my SP101 3-1/16" .357 is shown in my avatar. I like reliability.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links