Carrying a "Tool"

This is a discussion on Carrying a "Tool" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read a lot of the postings on this and other similar sites. I seldom post. I've given a lot of thought to the recent ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a "Tool"

Carrying a "Tool"

I read a lot of the postings on this and other similar sites. I seldom post.

I've given a lot of thought to the recent postings on these sites.

I have to say that I find most of the postings at odds with everday life.

I am not a sheepdog nor a cop wanna be. I am not a "black OPS" wanna be, whatever that is.

I would haphazard to say that most licensed CCW people are ordinary every day people that want to live in peace but know they might have to do something some day that could change their lives forever.

I'm not out to own the largest arsenal just so I can say I have it.

I know you have to train and practice with your weapon of choice so that if the time ever comes you can use it. I'm not out to win the Olympics.

I have read the adds for this or that "tactical" training that will enable me to do the "Mozambique drill" every time and frankly these are adds for all of the "wanna be" whatever.

If you are not going to be in that line of work such as cop or security then you are wasting a lot of money and time.

You could read "A Simple Reactive Target" By Kingpin that would give you some idea on reactive shooting and allow you to gain some skills.

I guess what I am trying to say is that having a weapon handy is like having any other tool available when you need it. It is not something to get all hung up over.
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

2. Remove Ads

Yet what if you enjoy it, have the money, and it is your hobby.... who is to tell me I am wasting my time and money? This isn't abut the olympics, it is only about my life. I got lucky the first time I had to use my firearm and swore I would never again just "own" a weapon, I would master it so in the rare event I had to use it again, I was as trained and ready as i could be. I don't see how you can say if you are not a cop or in a security field you are wasting your time when you can clearly look at the UCR and say your chances of being a victim are pretty good in your lifetime...... http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_01.html

Most of us who served, played sports, or are in other fields that required training know that you cannot learn all you need to know merely by reading a book. You need to practice and train and apply the knowledge. But to each his own, if you do not want to, that is fine but to say it is a waste of time and money is just ignorant.

To be proficient with any tool requires a lot of practice. I have a jigsaw that I use only once and awhile and yes I am not very good with it either. As the old saying goes "Practice makes perfect" IMHO
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Yes, a firearm is also a "tool". Nonetheless, the difference between your typical screwdriver and your firearm is that the latter has deadly force, it can save your life and it can be very dangerous if not used properly. Therefore, this is the one "tool" that you need to really know how to work so that you can use it appropriately to defend yourself and your family and that you do not accidentally kill someone. With regards to "wasting time and money", some people enjoy owning and shooting firearms as their main hobby or practice it as a sport. Just like someone is willing to spend lots of money in cycling, skiing, surfing, golfing, collecting memorabilia or whatever hobby they choose, firearms enthusiasts choose to own many firearms and spending lots of money on training, in gear, accessories, hunting trips, etc..

There is nothing wrong to enjoy firearms, having lots of weapons and choosing to take many tactical courses. If you don't, that's your choice but for those that do...carry on my friends.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    CharileJ47, the good news is that nobody is forcing you to train or wear 511's.

The members here seem to range from anti's, all the way out to Gecko45. I feel fortunate to have some seasoned LEO's here who share their experience and technique. That doesn't mean that I feel obligated to execute what they describe, nor try to pretend that I'm a LEO. Take what you like and leave the rest

Quote Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post

I am not a sheepdog nor a cop wanna be. I am not a "black OPS" wanna be, whatever that is.

I would haphazard to say that most licensed CCW people are ordinary every day people that want to live in peace but know they might have to do something some day that could change their lives forever.

I know you have to train and practice with your weapon of choice so that if the time ever comes you can use it. I'm not out to win the Olympics.

I have read the adds for this or that "tactical" training that will enable me to do the "Mozambique drill" every time and frankly these are adds for all of the "wanna be" whatever.

If you are not going to be in that line of work such as cop or security then you are wasting a lot of money and time.

You could read "A Simple Reactive Target" By Kingpin that would give you some idea on reactive shooting and allow you to gain some skills.

I guess what I am trying to say is that having a weapon handy is like having any other tool available when you need it. It is not something to get all hung up over.
    I see on your profile that you are a Military Vet and a Sports Official. My question is, as a sports official, did you read a book and gain the skills necessary to become a sports official or did you attend schools, pass a written and practical test in order to become certified and then attend clinics and work in your chosen sport to not only maintain your certification but to become more proficient in your officiating? I believe I can answer this question because I too was a certified FHSAA official in football and basketball and I applied the same effort in gaining competence as an official as I apply in gaining proficiency with my weapon in shooting and self defense techniques. Now, as a Military Vet, did you read a book and instantly become a Military person, or did you start with basic training, perhaps a technical training school, continue with on the job training, take proficiency tests, earn promotions based on your knowledge and skills and progress up through the ranks because of your continuing education and practice in your military specialty? Again, as a retired vet, I think I am qualified to answer that as well and I believe you can see where I am going with this. I think if you truly believe your two signatures which you've posted, then you truly believe that carrying a weapon and being prepared to defend yourself and perhaps your family is your right and should be pursued with diligence and perserverance. With all that being said, I'm not sure how in the heck you could have posted the thoughts you posted and not understand the value of training vs. reading and the value of preparedness vs. just "having the tool when you need it". How you find one's training and preparation in odds with every day life is a bit confusing to me. I guess as others have said, if this is the attitude that gets YOU through life, then so be it, but I'm not sure I'd bet MY life on having a similar attitude. Good Luck Sir and thanks for posting your thoughts.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

So if I am not going to be playing golf professionally is paying for lessons a waste of time and money? There are plenty of books out there on the game, but reading is not going to make me a scratch golfer. An hour with a teaching pro at the driving range improved my swing a lot more than any book ever did.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

You do what you do, I do what I do.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Not all guns are "tools" some are just plain cool tools.

My EDC is my tool....

My AR-15 is my cool tool.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I get your point, OP, and have to agree with it to some extent. There are those who feel they (and everyone else) must be trained and prepared to the level of Navy SEALs, and then there are those who wish to carry only for self-protection. I hope to fall somewhere in the middle--proficient enough to get the job done, never expecting to be an "expert." I'm light years better with a rifle, but it's a bit conspicuous for CC!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

GM

Interesting post. You do what you want to do, and I will do what I want to do. Good luck with your book reading.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Different strokes for different folks, All hail the "Mozambique drill" looks like fun and it will help me protect myself and loved ones. Their are some that take it to another level of readiness when it comes to firearm training but living in todays world you need to have more than just the CCW classes. IMO
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.Ē -- Thomas Jefferson

I have the distinct privelege of being a quasi-LEO, but mostly citizen. I am a probation officer. I am not a trained LEO/Police officer. I do have arrests powers within a very limited set of circumstances. I know my offenders are people who have done bad things, and that makes me spot bad or shady people a little easier than most average citizens, but I am not a cop and do not have a duty to act if I see said shady people doing shady things. I still see my offenders out in the community off the clock and I carry a loaded firearm on me while I am out of my house. I am not a Mall Ninja or a Special Forces wannabe or a cop wannabe, but unfortunately it is not a nice world, and my gun allows me to possibly continue to live in it one more day when it is all said and done. You dont have to go to mutliple training ranches and camps and spend thousands, but you owe to your safety and the safety of innocent bystanders if you carry a gun, to go to the range or where ever and practice. Draw from cover, shoot multiple targets, shoot from the ground etc. Take a class on verbal communication, to help talk your way out of situations. If you cant commit to it, dont do it. I dont use my hammer or screwdrivers everyday, but I know how to fix mosst things in my house because my Dad made me work with him using a hammer and screwdrivers and saws to basic fixes, other wise I couldnt hammer the first nail or turn the first screw. Do what you want but dont criticize because others want to master their hobby/skill out of sheer interest or the feeling of "necessity".
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Mozambique Drill

aka

Failure to stop

aka

Two to the chest, one to the head

aka

Winning hearts and minds

I'm glad I practiced this one ad nauseum in the USMC. Seems like it would be pretty effective. The guys who had to use it seemed to think so.

Oh well. Opinions, etc...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    To be proficient with any tool requires a lot of practice. I have a jigsaw that I use only once and awhile and yes I am not very good with it either. As the old saying goes "Practice makes perfect" IMHO
    Practice makes perfect is WRONG WRONG WRONG (just kidding). My dad was a band teacher, and he always taught me that "perfect practice makes perfect". You can practice your trumpet, or with defensive carry, firing your pistol wrong time after time again, and all you are learning is bad habits. Teachers, educators and paid classes help you to shoot straighter, or play the trumpet better. Training, be it in class form or reading is always a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links