Never tell. (I should heed my own advice)

This is a discussion on Never tell. (I should heed my own advice) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a small fam-reunion over the weekend. A few folks flew in for it. (My large extended family is very pro-2A, and most of them ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Never tell. (I should heed my own advice)

Had a small fam-reunion over the weekend. A few folks flew in for it. (My large extended family is very pro-2A, and most of them avid hunters.) A while into the party, off to the side, the "deer-camp leader-type uncle" pestered me about why I wouldn't have a beer. I figured it was an excellent chance to talk a bit about CCW with him, so I patted my hip, "no drinking for me."

He looked puzzled, then said in a sharp tone: "Why do you have that???"

Wow. This guy sleeps / eats / breathes deer & pheasant hunting, but could not understand why in the world I carried at a "safe & secure" site + around children. I was so disappointed in his attitude that I felt a little bit sick as the conversation quickly changed as other people came over to talk. There's no arguing with him - he's always right. I just sighed and moved on.

That was my lesson to myself. I'll never tell another soul unless exact circumstances exist. I've read this lesson here many times - but guess I had to learn the hard way.
    357and40 and StormRhydr like this.

Looks to me like all he did was ask you a question.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member
    Just remember just because someone hunts or likes to bust clays it does not mean they have any concept of self defense or carrying a weapon for that purpose. To them a firearm is a method to pursue a sport or game and while they may take it seriously it is not anything close to defending yourself with a firearm.

Just an opinion
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    'Lesson learned, Jetplane. I never discuss it even with friends in the gun shop or at the shooting range. For example, I'll discuss IWB's and concealed carry options with my local gun store owner, but have never found the occasion to mention that I was carrying at the time, nor have they found the occasion to ask.

"Loose Lips Sink Ships".......................................Amen.

As always, I'll chime in on the other side. I could care less if they know. And even less what they think about it. I have an aunt that I think the world of. Her late husband was a hunter and kept a pistol or two around. She gave them all away to family when he died. I love her dearly, she knows I carry, I know she does not like it, we both know it does not matter to me. She's way outnumbered at the reunions.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Personally, I find any interaction with someone that is "always right", to be less than desirable.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

There is a large number of country-club gun owners out there, who love their Perazzi and Krieghoff double guns and proudly wear their 100-straight patches and buttons, but the thought of a defensive handgun possessed by any other than cops gives them the shivers. When Hanoi Jane Fonda was married to Ted Turner, I saw pictures of her busting clays... big whoop. She's still a guns-for-me, none-for-you type. Ditto Lowell Weicker, of Watergate hearing fame and later the self-proclaimed Emperor of Connecticut. Country-club gun owner. For those types, the 2nd Amendment is about duck hunting and little else.

We do our 2nd Amendment rights a major disservice when we defend "our" shooting sport or activity, but not the other guy's. Look at how Jim Zumbo's career came to a grinding halt when he spoke out against "black rifles" for hunting...
    Aceoky, blitzburgh and Yetiman like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Reminds me of my Father in law. He is a hunter, member of the NRA, retired military. He even has a handgun for home defense. Of course, he keeps it in a drawer unloaded and responds to noises without it. He doesn't understand why I would carry a gun.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

We all have that family member that likes to nudge the 2nd , I don't even go there anymore because it wont change a thing.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Always carry, never tell.

Last time my father brought up CCW at a family reunion... the following year we where greeted with a sign telling us to leave any guns in our car .... I will swear on the holy bible to this story.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

The only ones who don't know I carry are the blind, and the ignorant souls parading around in condition white.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Just remember just because someone hunts or likes to bust clays it does not mean they have any concept of self defense or carrying a weapon for that purpose. To them a firearm is a method to pursue a sport or game and while they may take it seriously it is not anything close to defending yourself with a firearm.

Just an opinion
    My dad is this way.

He hunts, and has several rifles, shotguns, and handguns. But he thinks that carrying is just asking for trouble.

Just because someone is pro-gun, does not mean they are pro-carry.

My mom is just plain nervous around guns. She's not anti-; she's owned a couple over the years, she's just skittish.

My sisters, on the other hand, know I carry, and couldn't care less. They certainly don't mind.

Heck if I know where I got the itch from...

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post

Just an opinion
    This is so true. I know a couple of people that are avid hunters that are anti carry of handguns. I guess they see nothing wrong with shooting a defenseless animal from an ambush setting 200 yards away with a high powered scope but something entirely wrong with defending yourself and your family from a person with ill intent. I'll never understand that.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

My parents and sisters aren't anti, but one of my sisters doesn't entirely get it. She's made a couple sly comments, nothing overt or really bad. She knows I carry and her husband and kids hunt, etc. Her husband has been asking me about handguns as he's interested in selling his large revolver and getting a mid-sized auto. This Thanksgiving we were all at my parents house and she was talking about buying a car from Craig's list. I said, "Haven't you read or heard about all of the Craig's List robberies, murders, etc?" She said, "No. What are you talking about?" A bunch of people chimed in and gave examples, one well known case in that area of a man that lives within a mile of her house (he was murdered, robbed, and car stolen). I said, "They know you're going to be in a certain place at a certain time with x thousands of dollars cash on you...how do you even know there is an actual car for sale?" She got this "oh crap" look on her face. Then she said, "Didn't you get your cat from someone on Craig's list?" I said, "Yep, but I didn't have any money in my pocket....but I did have this" and I revealed my XD40sc IWB. Then I said, "if that's not enough, I had this too" and revealed the grip of my 442 in my left pocket. I said, "There's crazy people everywhere...and they count on a certain percentage of the population being oblivious to their intentions. I'm not in that percentage. Her husband was sitting beside of her trying not to giggle too much, but I could tell he was wanting to jump up and say, "YES!!!" She said, "Why are you carrying those here?" I said, "Have you looked around our old neighborhood? Homeless guy in the woods, alcoholic drug addict/dealer neighbor that killed his brother, crazy person that set her mom's house on fire with her mom in it....do you think any of those people give a rat's behind that it's Thanksgiving? All they see is more opportunities. She said, "Oh." Maybe she will somewhat more get it now.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links