Strong-side or Weak-side pocket carry?

This is a discussion on Strong-side or Weak-side pocket carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those that pocket carry: Sometimes I can only pocket carry, while other times I can also open carry a full-size firearm. I am trying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strong-side or Weak-side pocket carry?

Strong-side or Weak-side pocket carry?

For those that pocket carry:

Sometimes I can only pocket carry, while other times I can also open carry a full-size firearm.

I am trying to decide whether to pocket carry on my strong-side or weak-side.

If I am carrying both firearms, it seems odd to have both on the strong-side, and therefore seems logical to place the pocket carry firearm in the weak-side pocket.

On days that I am just pocket carrying, I would prefer to have the firearm accessible by the strong side.

I am also trying to be consistent so that I don't reach for the wrong pocket out of reflex.

Suggestions are welcome.

2. Remove Ads

I have dealt with the same issue. When I started to carry it was just an LCP in my strongside pocket. A few months ago I started carrying an SR9c at another 4 or 5 o'clock while still carrying th LCP. I want my dominant hand to be the one reaching for a pistol. Plus I have become so accustomed to having my LCP and holster in my right pocket that I feel oddly "naked" when its not there.

I'm sure some will wince at this but I only pocket carry weakside (every day), regardless of whether or not I'm carrying a primary as well. One reason being just what you described - repetition. And I have other reasons. Yes, I will lose valuable time on the transfer to my strong hand. Practice is essential.

Not a suggestion, just my experience.

One thing I'd like to add is that part of the beauty in pocket carry is to take just a smidge of that draw reflex out of the equation comparing to drawing from a waistband. You may the ability to have your hand on the pistol if things are feeling spicy ready to draw without anyone knowing.

Not to put words in your mouth but if being attacked from behind with no warning is something you're concerned about, have you thought about pocket carrying 2 pistols - one in each pocket?
    Last edited by 3rik; December 14th, 2010 at 03:27 AM. Reason: hypothetical afterthought
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I tend to pocket carry on my weak side only when I also have another gun on my strong side (IWB or OWB). If I'm pocket carrying only, I carry it strong side. This way, I always have a gun on my strong side. Nothing difficult to remember about that.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Smith 642 rt front pocket, Smith 442 Lt front pocket... speed strips in left rear pocket.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I am amazed at the answers. I guess I understand that if you have a firearm IMB/OWB on strong side, pocket carry on same side is just not very possible and if you want pocket carry, you are only left with weak side. It just seems that it is essentially useless---I guess practice may help but the seconds lost, particularly where personal defense is probably not more than a few seconds, make weak side carry almost useless.
    As an added note, I find that crossdraw OWB/IWB are more comfortable and more efficient than "high on the waist" strong side for primary firearm. I cannot get over that awkward lifting of clothes and awkward reaching for firearm way up on my waist essentially with the same hand that is looking for the firearm. The crossdraw method still allows me to pocket carry strong side with mouse gun since my primary is not in the way. I guess this all comes down to the old saying "to each his own".

It depends on the dress situation for me. Dressed with no primary will find my DB380 on strong side rear. Dressed with a primary will lend to weak side rear or a thigh pocket in cargo pants.
    There ya go........

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I pocket carry on my strong side and IWB carry on my weak side with extreme forward cant for a cross draw. I feel it conceals easier and sits more comfortably when I bend or sit. This is one situation where I think being left handed is a virtue. IMHO a BG would watch your right hand more.

If only pocket carry, it's strong side. If as a backup, it's weakside.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey GunGeezer: Best of both worlds as long as you find crossdraw something you can live with; in my case it is preferred and this makes for a perfect match.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I am amazed at the answers. I guess I understand that if you have a firearm IMB/OWB on strong side, pocket carry on same side is just not very possible and if you want pocket carry, you are only left with weak side. It just seems that it is essentially useless---I guess practice may help but the seconds lost, particularly where personal defense is probably not more than a few seconds, make weak side carry almost useless.
    As an added note, I find that crossdraw OWB/IWB are more comfortable and more efficient than "high on the waist" strong side for primary firearm. I cannot get over that awkward lifting of clothes and awkward reaching for firearm way up on my waist essentially with the same hand that is looking for the firearm. The crossdraw method still allows me to pocket carry strong side with mouse gun since my primary is not in the way. I guess this all comes down to the old saying "to each his own".
    Carrying and shooting weak side requires training, the same as strong side carry, maybe more. Everyone who carries needs to train with their weak hand. Many shootings result in a wound to the strong hand, very early in the encounter.

The flaw I see with your carry method is with both guns available to your strong hand only, you become defenseless if your strong hand is taken out. If you were to carry your BUG crossdraw and your primary in your pocket, it would leave the crossdraw available to your weak hand, if needed. I'm simply making an observation and not criticizing you carrying crossdraw. As you said "to each his own."
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Carrying and shooting weak side requires training, the same as strong side carry, maybe more. Everyone who carries needs to train with their weak hand. Many shootings result in a wound to the strong hand, very early in the encounter.

The flaw I see with your carry method is with both guns available to your strong hand only, you become defenseless if your strong hand is taken out. If you were to carry your BUG crossdraw and your primary in your pocket, it would leave the crossdraw available to your weak hand, if needed. I'm simply making an observation and not criticizing you carrying crossdraw. As you said "to each his own."
    ^^^ Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!!!^^^ I see my second firearm as a secondary access, not a backup. I train with it in my left hand. I have two hands, and two guns. A bad guy cuts your right hand or has you pinned against a wall or on the ground with your right arm under you, you can access your second gun with your second hand. Say a BG jumps out from behind a car and grabs your right arm and twists it behind you with your face planted in the side of a van. Two guns on your right side are doing you absolutely no good at this point. It's all about options and accessibility. In the last scenario, pull from your pocket and stick it in their gut and pull. Since it is a revolver, you don't have to worry about it getting pushed out of battery. BGs come at you from both directions, simply pull your second weapon with your free hand and you can fight your way out of dodge on both fronts. I just see absolutely no advantage of having two weapons on the same side compared to one available on each side. But that's just my own to me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey GunGeezer: Best of both worlds as long as you find crossdraw something you can live with; in my case it is preferred and this makes for a perfect match.
    I do like cross draw. It also helps as my ostioarthritis makes it much harder to reach to my strong side with any power in my grip. I would also like to carry in the small of my back but I can't reach that far back.

My EDC is strong side pocket. My spare mag is in my weakside pocket via Desantis mag holster. This is my configuration whether or not I have a larger pistol on my Strongside IWB via Crossbreed Supertuck.

I think the spare magazine in my weakside pocket is the primary reason I don't deviate from my EDC configuration. It might be different if I had a spare magazine on my belt (hip), but that isn't feasible with the business attire I am usually wearing.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I always carry my S&W 442 on strong side regardless if it's being carried as a backup gun or as my main gun. I do this because I can shoot better with my strong hand and draw my weapon quicker from my strong side. In the event that I am ever involved in an armed encounter, my life is in danger and I run out of ammo for my main carry or the gun malfunctions, I would just drop the main carry gun to the ground and immediately draw my backup gun from my pocket to keep shooting at the attacker. Seriously fellas, who would be concerned about re-holstering a firearm carefully to prevent it from getting a scratch in the middle of a life threatening encounter? If my life is in danger I would even throw the damn empty gun at the attacker in order to repel the attack and save my life. The main intention is to SURVIVE. After I survive the attack, I can take the gun to a gunsmith to get in refinished or I just buy a new gun as a congratulatory present to myself for surviving such incident.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links