Poll - Would Listing No Gun Sign Laws at Handgunlaw.us for Each State Be Useful?

Poll - Would Listing No Gun Sign Laws at Handgunlaw.us for Each State Be Useful?

This is a discussion on Poll - Would Listing No Gun Sign Laws at Handgunlaw.us for Each State Be Useful? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I look at a lot of boards and have seen many questions on No Guns Signs and what is the law. I am considering adding ...

View Poll Results: Would listing the laws on No Gun Signs for each state be useful at Handgunlaw.us

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

77 86.52%
  • No

1 1.12%
  • Yes & I Would Help if Possible.

11 12.36%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Would Listing No Gun Sign Laws at Handgunlaw.us for Each State Be Useful?

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

I look at a lot of boards and have seen many questions on No Guns Signs and what is the law. I am considering adding this info to each states page at www.handgunlaw.us. But would this info be useful and/or needed? It could be 6 to 8 months before I could get all the data assembled and then added. Also wondering if I could get some assistance.

I should add that some state pages already have that info like Texas, Kansas & South Carolina. I would make a section on each states page for such laws. It would most likely have the laws on Trespassing for each state also as that law would be considered with any signage on No Firearms.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Senior Moderator
    I think it could be helpful, but some states, like Ohio, do not have a specific sign. There is a suggested one, on the Ohio Attorney General's website, but nothing in the law saying that one needs to be used.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

buckeyeLCPL, That is the main reason I was thinking about it. These laws are vague in some states and well spelled out in others. I just keep seeing that question on may boards and will spend the time doing it if it is needed.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Yes would be very helpful. Here in North Carolina there are no specifications on signage, even a crayoned on gun with a red circle and slash would qualify and any no guns sign has the force of law.

14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
    (c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    Here is a link to the suggested sign, so that I can claim I am being helpful: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/f...arry-Sign.aspx

Also, since carry in a place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises is currently illegal in Ohio, such places have this sign: http://www.com.ohio.gov/liqr/docs/LIQR_firearm.pdf
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yes, unequivocally yes. I'm an over the road truck driver and would find that very useful. I would think all of us who travel regularly would find it very useful also.

I know I ran into that problem in Canton, Ohio with a non-standard sign. After seeing the same sign practically everywhere else in Ohio (the recommended one), I assumed that their sign had no force of law. If I'd been detected, I would have learned differently very quickly I'm sure.

On a side note, I found it amazing that my firearm stayed holstered and didn't magically jump out and start randomly shooting in different directions on it's own. I thought that's what happened when firearms were introduced to a no gun zone.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Gary, absolutely yes. This may keep someone from being arrested

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    As good as Handgunlaw is, this would only make it better.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    As good as Handgunlaw is, this would only make it better.
    Well said OldVet, well said!

Gary, if there is anything I can do from KY, please let me know!

Bill
    --- Sig 245, P6, 224
    --- Kahr PM9

billpocz, I have already started collecting this information. Being retired gives me time to research but mainly when I see something posted. I will most likely make a post asking for help with this info after the first of the year if I go ahead with it. Thinking about just posting my word file which has my info for some states and and the state name listed with no info and asking people to fill in the blanks. The sub section if added will also have a disclaimer. Something like.

"Handgunlaw.us highly recommends that you not enter a place that is posted "No Firearms" no matter what the states law reads/means on signage. We recommend you print out the No Guns = No Money Cards and give one to the owner of the establishment that has the signage." As responsible gun owners and upholders of the 2nd Amendment we should also honor the rights of property owners to control their own property even if we disagree with them."

This wording for the disclaimer is not set in stone. It would be something like that. I can't count how many times I have seen posted, "Signs have no law behind them they can just ask you to leave,' or "Concealed Means Concealed."

I would make the No Guns = No Money Cards a link to an image of these cards that is printable. http://paopencarry.org/no-guns-no-money-cards has a nice download for a all around Card. There are others out there. Still thinking about what would work best. Ideas are welcome.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

I voted yes, and as my lame attempt to help, I offer the following quote from the Iowa Department of Public Safety's FAQ PDF on the new weapns carry law in Iowa:

QUESTION: Can the owner of private property (to include businesses/employers) regulate the carrying of weapons on their private
    property?
    ANSWER: The topic of firearms restrictions on private property and in the workplace is not addressed in Iowa firearms law.
    Here's the link to the PDF in it's entirety:
    http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf

The quote certainly leaves a lot of open territory, I think... Signage is not regulated. If there's a sign, I would think (IANAL, just ask MitchellCT), it would be tresspass at the minimum to enter with a weapon.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I'm originally from Ohio, so I took a look at their signage. If you will notice, the wording says "unless otherwise authorized by law ~ ~". Does this mean that if you have a CCW permit you will be authorized to carry there? That alone is confusing.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

I voted yes and I would help if needed.

In Nebraska there is no uniform sign for places to display. Any sign that clearly has it written out or symbollically represented to mean no concealed weapons/pistols/firearms etc. is legal in Nebraska. As someone wrote above, even a sign in crayon would be considered legal here in Nebraska.

Thats a great idea and I would be willing to help.

Senior Moderator
    Could be very helpful, and I do not see a downside.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links