Coming Home

This is a discussion on Coming Home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After 5 years out of the country, my family and I will be returning to Texas in June. I am looking forward to conceal carry ...

Thread: Coming Home

VIP Member

Coming Home

After 5 years out of the country, my family and I will be returning to Texas in June. I am looking forward to conceal carry again. One upside is that I will be able to carry at my workplace as my workplace will be my home!

A downside is that my permit expired a year ago and I won't be able to renew my permit within the 1 year allowable period. So that means that I'll have to take the course again and then wait for the new permit. I guess it's good that I'll get a refresher course in all the applicable laws.

It's been really great reading all the super posts on this forum and submitting a few of my own. I look forward to continuing to share my thoughts and experiences both here and back in the US.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome home. Where a dinner salad consists mostly of lettuce and you can find a hamburger just about everywhere you go.

Welcome back stateside....
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Welcome home to the States.

Out of curiosity, what are gun laws in Israel like? Do they allow concealed carry, can most law abiding citizens possess firearms etc?

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Welcome back the the states.....hope things go smooth for you getting your permit back
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Welcome back home. Hope your move goes smoothly and you get your permit back quickly. Hope you are moving to a good part of the state, not one too close to the border if you know what I mean.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Happy trails come June, back in the US of A
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Welcome home...hope that permit wait is a short one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Welcome home!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Safe travels and welcome home.

VIP Member
    Gun laws in Israel are a mixed bag. There is no such thing as a concealed carry permit - if you get a permit, you can carry open or concealed mostly anywhere. People who have permits usually open carry. To get a permit, you have to be an Israeli citizen for at least 3 years and meet the requirements - for example, if you are a jeweler or carry large sums of cash as part of your business. You can also carry if you are a licensed bus driver or in the transportation business. If you live in certain areas of the country (what is commonly called "over the green line") you can usually obtain a permit. These are areas that are considered "occupied territory" by the rest of the world.

I missed out getting a permit because we moved from one of those areas just as I became eligible to apply for a permit. What's strange is that when I joined the volunteer police force, I spent about 10 minutes at a range and fired 10 shots from an M1, so now I can carry an M1 when on patrol. But I have to check out the weapon before the patrol and return it at the end of the patrol. If i were to remain active as a volunteer for 5 years, I think I'd be eligible to carry.

Overall, there are very few shooting incidents in Israel. Despite what the media would have you think, this is a normal, calm country where you can find The Gap, McDonalds (kosher!) and some of the most high tech of high tech companies. It's common to see people carrying guns and it's no big thing. You see soldiers carrying all the time, mostly unloaded weapons. I was at several weddings where I was dancing right next to several guys open carrying. No one blinks twice. But it's comforting to know that if the "S" does hit the fan, there will be people who can respond. I'm sure the Florida school board incident from 12/15 would have ended much sooner if it had taken place in Israel.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Links