Massad Ayoob - Page 3

Massad Ayoob

This is a discussion on Massad Ayoob within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; His book "In the Gravest Extreme" is a very valuable resource...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Massad Ayoob

His book "In the Gravest Extreme" is a very valuable resource

VIP Member
    Well I guess that I have to spoil the smooch fest, but I think he is a bit overrated and is totally out to make a buck. I do think he has a ton of experience and knowledge, but I wont bow down like many others. If I were to listen to him, I would carry a different gun every month as he is pitching a different one in the latest gun rags all the time. He will forget more then I will ever know, but I think he has sold out from sponsors and manufacturers with the many reviews I have read.

This is meant as no disrespect as I feel I have given him props, but I would venture to guess that he is making way more money now then he used to.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Well I guess that I have to spoil the smooch fest, but I think he is a bit overrated and is totally out to make a buck. I do think he has a ton of experience and knowledge, but I wont bow down like many others. If I were to listen to him, I would carry a different gun every month as he is pitching a different one in the latest gun rags all the time. He will forget more then I will ever know, but I think he has sold out from sponsors and manufacturers with the many reviews I have read.

This is meant as no disrespect as I feel I have given him props, but I would venture to guess that he is making way more money now then he used to.
    As long as he has made his money honestly and legally, good for him. Bunker

Yep, he writes for a gun mag... and he reviews guns all the time... and likes most of them I'm sure... Heck, I'd find something good to say about any gun put in my hand, too... Some might be better than others, but as long as it puts lead downrange and gives you a chance against some BG, I'm all for it. And, If someone wants to pay me to say so... I'll gladly take the money.

If a course can be taught by someone who has BTDT (some folks can't teach), it certainly beats a course being taught by someone who; since they can't do it (or haven't done it), teach it. If Mas is as good a teacher as he is a writer, I'd be happy to take one of his courses, and proud to meet him, as well.

Now, I would not travel at great expense to meet him and to go to one of his classes... and pay the fee on top of that... But the next time I hear he's in Iowa, I might scare up some scratch and go see him.

In the meantime, I've read In The Gravest Extreme several times, and I believe the mindset illustrated in the book is the best possible for the general public while carrying a weapon for self defense.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Cool, cant wait till he gets close to NYS.... would love to take a week off of work and learn something new. Cannot wait for the books to arrive... i got them off of amazon.com Bunker
    Bunker, keep an eye out on the Massad Ayoob Group (MAG) website. There should be a MAG-40 (intro level) class scheduled for Harrisburg, PA next year, probably in the September timeframe. Harrisburg Hunters & Anglers is where I have taken both my Ayoob classes, and it is a great facility with some wonderful folks.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Bunker, keep an eye out on the Massad Ayoob Group (MAG) website. There should be a MAG-40 (intro level) class scheduled for Harrisburg, PA next year, probably in the September timeframe. Harrisburg Hunters & Anglers is where I have taken both my Ayoob classes, and it is a great facility with some wonderful folks.
    thanks, its not too far from me. Bunker

The first time I met Mas (pronounced "Mass") was at the airport. He'd lost a piece of luggage and we went up to wait in line to get it. I was nervous--this was Massad Freakin' Ayoob--what do you say??? Well, in that booming, deep voice of his, he says "Daniel, this may be the first time in human history that an airline has taken an Arab hostage...." I knew we'd get along fine at that point.

In the course of talking to him about our upcoming class on the phone, he asked that we have a carry piece for him as his would be in his luggage and unavailable for the trip to the hotel. I asked what caliber he'd like (.45 ACP, please), gave him a choice of a 1911, HK, or GLOCK (HK as he planned to carry mexican), then a choice of black, green, or tan (black). "What the hell do you have there? AN ARMORY???"

On the way to drop him off after 5 days with us, and a really good class, we're pulling into a strip mall west of Chicago where he would meet up with Gail. He'd been looking for gunshops the whole way (we didn't stop laughing for 30 seconds in the 5 hour trip out, but no gun shops). I looked over the strip mall and said "Mas--I see a Vic's Secret and a Lands End store. I'd say your odds of finding a gun shop here are pretty slim". To wit he replied "Yeah--and if they did have one, they'd only sell HKs..."

Love that man.
    Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I, too, recommend especially the classroom work on the judicious use of deadly force. On this particular topic, Mas did go into much more depth than I had in law school since criminal law classes typically focus on the nature of crimes, evidence and prosecution, not on the legal use of deadly force. In answer to a question posed above, while In the Gravest Extreme has been in print quite a while, Mas does keep up with current case law and covers those in class. Since he was a journalism major in college, he is very articulate, knows his subject matter cold and can interject some humor when called for. Long class days fly by with his excellent manner of delivery. There are plenty of schools that will teach you to shoot. The classroom portion of LF1 (or the new equivalent) will teach you to think and put CCW into a total legal context that will help anyone who carries to appreciate the ramifications of so doing. As a bonus, if you take his course, pass the written test (which you will) and are involved in an incident, he will appear as a witness in your defense.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Ayoob is a member here with the Forum Name Mas Ayoob though he only has about 5 or 6 past posts.

He will jump on to defend his honor & his good name if anybody attempts to defame his character or type any untrue falsehoods about him.

I have seen it happen in the past.
    So if we want to hear from Mas we have to kick sand in his face?

I think I'll pass on that one!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Ayoob is a member here with the Forum Name Mas Ayoob though he only has about 5 or 6 past posts.

He will jump on to defend his honor & his good name if anybody attempts to defame his character or type any untrue falsehoods about him.

I have seen it happen in the past.
    As well he should.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Cool, cant wait till he gets close to NYS.... would love to take a week off of work and learn something new. Cannot wait for the books to arrive... i got them off of amazon.com Bunker
    keep an eye on this web page if Wallingford CT is close enough to you, a lot of NY and NJ guys attend.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Ayoob is the preeminent authority on the judicious use of lethal force. To date, there hasn't been a single attorney or judge who has taken his 40 hour LFI class who won't readily admit they learned more about lethal force in his class than they did at law school.

His credentials are not only impeccable, but are envied in the world of lethal force instructors. Many of our forum members have taken his classes and will attest to his work and expertise as well as his world class shooting skills.

He is also the developer of the "Stress Fire" shooting technique which applies to handguns, shotguns and rifles and has written 3 books on the subject of stress fire alone.

He sits or has sat on many boards of directors for law enforcement instructors association and firearms instructors associations.

To paraphrase the old E.F. Hutton commercials... "When Ayoob speaks, people listen."
    He is also a member of this forum.

^^^^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Been reading mr. Ayoob's material and articles in many gun magazines for 20-some years.
    He seems to be every gun guru's go-to-guy for all matters in Self- defense.

That speaks volumes
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    In the course of talking to him about our upcoming class on the phone, he asked that we have a carry piece for him as his would be in his luggage and unavailable for the trip to the hotel. I asked what caliber he'd like (.45 ACP, please), gave him a choice of a 1911, HK, or GLOCK (HK as he planned to carry mexican), then a choice of black, green, or tan (black). "
    *swoons*

"I'll never clean my gun again!"

Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Mas Ayoob is VERY good for private citizen self-defense, and quite good for law enforcement. I fully credit his teachings, which I was able to relate to a grand jury, with my being no-billed, instead of my case being sent to a trial court. It was a law enforcement deadly force incident, a blade and bludgeon versus my GP100, in a time when it was more expected to respond with equivalent force, rather than reasonable force. (Be careful, much of the public STILL does not understand how truly dangerous a blade or bludgeon can be at close range.)

I attended a one-day LE seminar with Mas Ayoob and Ray Chapman in the mid-1980's, and attended the Snubby Summit, a thus-far one-time event, in December 2005, where Mas gave several short presentations.

A student of his Lethal Force training, here. Was reading the book In The Gravest Extreme before many folks had ever heard of the man, and I've handed out more copies to friends than I can recall. While some of the material feels a bit dated, perhaps, the goal today (as it has been) is to create a very high personal standard a person can live with, for seeking competency with firearms, knowing one's responsibilities and legal requirements, knowing the pros and cons of carrying a deadly weapon. Basically, for when to defend using lethal force if you follow the proscriptions that Mas promotes, you can be fairly sure of being well within the legal requirements for legitimate self-defense.

If you haven't yet acquired a copy of the book, do it. If you can afford to head to the multi-day lethal force training he offers, absolutely do it. If you are attempting to narrow down your training to a very short list of instructors covering a range of skills and topical areas, in my opinion Mas Ayoob's training on the use of deadly force should be on the list, no question about it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links