Massad Ayoob

This is a discussion on Massad Ayoob within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mr. Ayoob writes a montly article in COMBAT HANDGUNS magazine....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Massad Ayoob

Mr. Ayoob writes a montly article in COMBAT HANDGUNS magazine.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Mr. Ayoob's books were the first of the gun related books in my collection. The first I got were "In The Gravest Extreme" and "The Truth About Self-Protection". They are still relevent information even to this day.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I think Mas still writes a column in "Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement" Magazine, and of course, he has columns in "American Handgunner" and "Guns" magazines. For quite a few years, there was been an annual Harris Publications magazine called "The Complete Book of Handguns" on the shelves, completely authored by Mas. I have not noticed a 2011 edition yet.

He has a blog, too. http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2010/12/

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Watched a couple of videos that Massad Ayoob has made, and then someone put them on the internet in 10 minute bits... very informative, even though video looks like it was from the 1980's. What do you think of him and his teachings? He seems like he knows his stuff. I see he offers a class for $800, and it is a five day class. I have never taken a class, except through Rocherster Personal Safety in order to apply for my nys ccw. What do you think of instructional classes? anyone gone to some especially good ones? thanks for the input. Bunker
    Get a hold of his more modern stuff. He is very up to date with laws in his teachings.

I have found him to be one of if not the single best instructors I have ever learned from and spoken to personally. I hold him in very high regard.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

him and Evan Marshal,,,,,,,,,da best I know.............................
    O. D. A. T.

About 6 months ago, there was a post on the forum to forward his book "In The Gravest Extreme" to members that requested it. I had a copy which I sent out, and I know it made it to several people on the list. Maybe whoever has it now can check the list and forward on to the next person. I will search for the thread and see if I can post it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by sig na fie View Post
    him and Evan Marshal,,,,,,,,,da best I know.............................
    Yep, started reading both Evan and Mas's material at about the same time, close to 30 years ago. Evan had a lot of articles published in the gun rags back then and before I would buy a magazine I always scanned the table of contents to see if either one of them had an article before I would buy it.

There were others too. John Farnham, Jeff Cooper, Chuck Taylor but an Ayoob or Marshall article seemed to be a requirement if I were to buy a magazine.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have taken LFI 1 (1992) & the LFI Emergency Rifle Course (1996), my wife took the LFI 1 course with me and then attended LFI 2 (1995), with Mas; all at the FAS training facility in WA. We also worked as Range Staff for several LFI classes that he taught up at FAS back in the 90s.

As an instructor, one of the things that I HIGHLY suggest to anyone who is considering carrying a weapon for self defense, is to read In the Gravest Extreme. I just re-read it a couple of years ago, and it is still a very worthwhile read for anyone who is going to carry a firearm.

Lots of really good training courses out there right now, but overall I think that his LFI 1 course (now it is the MAG 40 course) is one course that should be on anyone's must attend list.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Administrator
    What was Ayoobs first book? Was it "The Truth About Self Defense"

Also folks should know that there are quite a few Massad Ayoob vids posted on youtube. Just type "Massad Ayoob" into the youtube search block.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    What was Ayoobs first book? Was it "The Truth About Self Defense"

Also folks should know that there are quite a few Massad Ayoob vids posted on youtube. Just type "Massad Ayoob" into the youtube search block.
    The Truth About Self-Protection

A great chapter from the book is titled The Face of the Enemy in which he describes just the kind of people you are up against highlighted with poignant descriptions of candid interviews he did of violent felons in prison.

See Post #8 for my personal top 3 recommendations of his books for people who are new to CCW.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    My copy of The Truth About Self-Protection just arrived today. It looks like a good read. It's next on the list after I finish Self Defense Laws of All 50 States by Mitch Vilos. I've already read In The Gravest Extreme and The Gun Digest Book Of Combat Hangunnery along with the Chris Bird books The Concealed Handgun Manual and Thank God I Had A Gun.

Administrator
    The Truth About Self-Protection - Whoops! - Yep...that's it.

Thanks!

My books came in the mail yesterday... plan on reading them quickly. Bunker

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links