Great Loop Boat "Carry"

Great Loop Boat "Carry"

This is a discussion on Great Loop Boat "Carry" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iíve tried to search this and came up empty. In fact, I wasnít even sure what search terms to use. I think I understand the ...

Thread: Great Loop Boat "Carry"

Great Loop Boat "Carry"

Iíve tried to search this and came up empty. In fact, I wasnít even sure what search terms to use.
    I think I understand the rules about transporting firearms in the trunk when traveling through no-gun states. What I canít find is what to do if you donít have a trunk. Iím asking about a boat, but I suppose some pickup truck ďrulesĒ might apply.
    How do I travel by boat, for example, through New York? I am doing advance planning for a long trip next year (Americaís Great Loop -- the eastern portion of North America including the Atlantic and Gulf Intracoastal Waterways, the Great Lakes, the Canadian Heritage Canals, and the inland rivers of America).
    I know Iíll need ďextraĒ research when in Canadian waters. Any advice from our neighbors up north would be welcome. I donít know if this is the right question Ė but what is the equivalent of a trunk on a boat?

I live in FL and have a FL CWP.

Steve, the transport of firearms on a boat trip like you are planning can get very complicated. Check out some sites for live aboarders/full timers. I know you'll need to satisfy: state, local, federal, LE agencies, Customs, Marine Patrol, Coast Guard etc, etc.
    Best of luck.
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

Your Florida CWP is recognized from Florida to Virginia. Noth of there, I am not too sure. definitely NOT in NY state or canada. Those 2 are the most anti-gun there is.
    I was a resident of NY state until I moved to Fl. i had a permit there, which I gave up when I moved.
    I have a Fl permit. I went to upstate last October to visit my Sister, but had to leave my weapons at home.
    My friend did the loop in 2006. He said the same thing about too many issues from the northern states and also went un armed.

I envy your trip. I was a boater for many years.
    Let me say that every boater I knew carried something.
    I think legally, you are in trouble in NY, and surrounding areas.
    You could be boarded by the Coast Guard who might want a look around.
    Choose wisely.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't expecting some magic solution (but nothing wrong with hoping). It almost seems like if I brought a gun I'd need to hide it so deeply I might as well not even have it. And I'd hate to be caught obviously trying to avoid the law. But, no need to give up yet. I'll keep thinking (and try not to get too frustrated since I'm only trying to do what all of us here are -- stay safe).

NJ......... Bad news!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I’ve tried to search this and came up empty. In fact, I wasn’t even sure what search terms to use.
    I think I understand the rules about transporting firearms in the trunk when traveling through no-gun states. What I can’t find is what to do if you don’t have a trunk. I’m asking about a boat, but I suppose some pickup truck “rules” might apply.
    How do I travel by boat, for example, through New York? I am doing advance planning for a long trip next year (America’s Great Loop -- the eastern portion of North America including the Atlantic and Gulf Intracoastal Waterways, the Great Lakes, the Canadian Heritage Canals, and the inland rivers of America).
    I know I’ll need “extra” research when in Canadian waters. Any advice from our neighbors up north would be welcome. I don’t know if this is the right question – but what is the equivalent of a trunk on a boat?

I live in FL and have a FL CWP.
    If it was me, I'd skip it - I mean the gun. But if it was going to be, I would contact every single official office with anything to do with guns anywhere I was going and ask. Then ask for of ID of who you are talking to - or full name, in case some other official you encounter has a different position. Better yet, I'd get in writing from every office and carry all those documents with me.

But I'd weigh carefully the realistic risk of not having a gun against an extremely difficult position if I ended up wrong about any of the many laws and jurisdictions that govern the situation.
    You're not talking about Parking Tickets with this stuff.

I'm afraid you are right. The harder part is I can't even guarantee where I'll be along the way at every point. Boats break down -- obviously at the worst possible time. Bad weather hits -- again, at the worst possible time.

Sponsored Links