Daughter pulled over while carrying last Friday Afternoon

This is a discussion on Daughter pulled over while carrying last Friday Afternoon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our 21 year old daughter is a senior at Samford University in Birmingham, Al. The Sheriff in our county issued her a Concealed Weapon Permit ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daughter pulled over while carrying last Friday Afternoon

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar

Daughter pulled over while carrying last Friday Afternoon

Our 21 year old daughter is a senior at Samford University in Birmingham, Al.
    The Sheriff in our county issued her a Concealed Weapon Permit about 3 weeks before her 21st birthday. I bought her a Smith Airweight 442 and mounted a
    holster on the seat adjusting bar on the front of her drivers seat. When I first
    allowed her to start carrying, I stressed to her that if she ever got pulled over by the law to show him or her her permit and to inform the officer that she was carrying. Well last Friday after her last class of the day, she started on the hour long drive home from the south side of Birmingham (actually Homewood) to our humble abode in North Alabama. I guess she was in a hurry to see us or her boyfriend and wasn't paying attention to her speed....Anyway an Alabama State
    Trooper bulled he over on I65 in Blount County doing 87 in a 70 zone. Well Said
    Trooped approached her side of the vehicle and the first thing she handed him was her permit...He looked at her, then at her permit, then back at her...she looks about 15 years old. The he asked her where it was and she replied the it was holstered to the front of the seat she was setting on. His next words were
    "Please don't reach for it. To which she replied that the thought had never crossed her mind. He then asked for her license, registration and proof of insurance which she supplied. He then asked her to step out of the car and to
    come sit in the passenger side front of the cruiser for both their safety,to which she complied. After he issued her her Christmas Present, he told herhow much he appreciated her informing his of her concealed firearm. She just smiled at him and told him that she just did what her dad has always to do in that situation. Except for the ticket, I'm right proud that she had listened to me for one time. Maybe ol Daddy ain't so dumb afterall
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

2. Remove Ads

I hate to burst your bubble, but she was probably more interested in seeing her boyfriend

Glad she ran into a good cop. Hope the points and insurance isn't too painful.

Kinda hard to let 87mph slide. She handled it well!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Give her a "High 5" as she did what she need to do when stopped by any LEO. I've not had that occur yet in my 63 years but you never know. I have done the drill several times to insure that I get it right the first time. My daughter also has a speeding ticket or two also. They do slow down after they get married and make you a GrandPa!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Sounds like daddy knows....glad it went well.....just buy her lighter shoes for Christmas

i know a bunch of alabama state troopers personally, GREAT people.

Well, the ticket...she was going to get (17 over, yikes!), but he didn't cuff her, empty and dismantle her gun and hide it in the trunk.
    Sounds like a professional stop...she knows about guns, now she needs to learn about gas pedals.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Your daughter is wise to carry, especially in a place like Birmingham. I'm very familiar with that great city and I have a son who attends Birmingham Southern.

Good stop! Lead foot won't be cheap, but all went well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

This is a textbook stop.

Your daughter done good, except for the lead foot. If she didn't have that lead in her foot, there wouldn't have been a stop.

Biker

Hey, Dad and 21-year-old-daughter, very good just. Applauses all around.

Now slow down.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Another good officer.

Michael

Sounds like a good encounter besides the ticket. I work in Alabama and each department is trained differently. My department trained us to get the gun, run the serial number, unload, and hand it back to them still unloaded. We do allow them to load the gun before they drive away if needed. This might seem like overkill to some but I also work in a pretty high crime area so it is different in other areas. The main thing is to always announce that you are legally armed. Its not good when we see it before you tell us about it. Two thumbs up on teaching the kiddo right.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    As a parent you throw as much wisdom as possible at your kids. You never know which tidbits will stick.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by trev869 View Post
    Sounds like a good encounter besides the ticket. I work in Alabama and each department is trained differently. My department trained us to get the gun, run the serial number, unload, and hand it back to them still unloaded. We do allow them to load the gun before they drive away if needed. This might seem like overkill to some but I also work in a pretty high crime area so it is different in other areas. The main thing is to always announce that you are legally armed. Its not good when we see it before you tell us about it. Two thumbs up on teaching the kiddo right.
    WHY? What probable cause is there to run the serial number. Have you ever once found a stolen gun on someone that was legally carrying it? The fact that someone pulled over for a traffic stop is legally carrying a weapon is completely separate from the traffic stop. You gonna run the numbers on the DVD player sitting in the back seat also? Just because?

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing you or cops in general, my daughter is gonna be a cop. I just don't understand this thought process.

Back to the OP- Sorry your daughter got a ticket, but it sounds like the stop went well

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links