This does not bode well...

This is a discussion on This does not bode well... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Vendor allegedly wounds would-be thief at Torrance (Calif) swap meet "...Police said four men used hammers to smash the jewelry cases of one dealer about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This does not bode well...

Vendor allegedly wounds would-be thief at Torrance (Calif) swap meet

"...Police said four men used hammers to smash the jewelry cases of one dealer about 3:30 p.m.

Budhan said she was working when she noticed a man smashing the glass display cases of a nearby jewelry salesman.

"The robber snatched up jewelry and began to run through the crowd when a vendor emerged and went after him.

"He pulled a gun and he just shot him," she said. "I didn't know he was going to pull the trigger. I ran. I took cover and ran."

The robber, hit in the back, staggered a few feet and collapsed. The shooter walked up and stood over him.

"He said, 'That's what you get. I hope you don't die,"' Budhan said. "He was waving the gun around like he was a sheriff or something."
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

That is one lucky vendor. Even if there is criminal and or civil action taken against him, it won't be as bad as it could have been. He could have easily hurt or killed an innocent bystander.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

This should be interesting. I look forward to hearing how it goes. Hope they don't charge him. Anyone know the laws in Cali about protection of property and apprehending someone in commission of a felony?
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I would say the vendor is in deep do-do. Shooting someone who is running away, in the back, for nothing more than theft and who was never in fear for his life is probably not a clean case of self-defense. It's going to cost that vendor all his jewelry and more and probably jail-time before he's through.

Not necessarily... I think that in some states apprehension of a fleeing felon warrants the use of deadly force. He could be in the clear for the actual shoot though unloading in a crowd like that might not have been a great idea.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It's all going to depend on CA law. Of that I have no idea.

And now, for the rest of the story...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Looks like anger got the best of him. He should have remembered that his insurance would have covered his losses. Chivvalry, I maybe wrong but I'm almost sure that only applies to police.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    Looks like anger got the best of him. He should have remembered that his insurance would have covered his losses. Chivvalry, I maybe wrong but I'm almost sure that only applies to police.
    I'm definitely not a lawyer and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night... but I'm pretty sure it's not just police that it applies to. Now, don't get me wrong, I could be completely wrong about California law but I'm pretty sure in NY and PA you can shoot a robber that has committed a felony even if he is fleeing (but I believe he has to be in possession of the goods). In fact, I further think that if the vendor had missed and hit a bystander he might even have been protected under law from criminal penalties.

I wouldn't recommend it though.

What if the robber had an armed accomplice watching his back?

This is just dumb. Use your guns to protect LIFE. Nothing else.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    I'm definitely not a lawyer and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night... but I'm pretty sure it's not just police that it applies to. Now, don't get me wrong, I could be completely wrong about California law but I'm pretty sure in NY and PA you can shoot a robber that has committed a felony even if he is fleeing (but I believe he has to be in possession of the goods). In fact, I further think that if the vendor had missed and hit a bystander he might even have been protected under law from criminal penalties.

I wouldn't recommend it though.
    Application to LE only or others is likely dependent on the particular state.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Even in those states where it is legal, it usually must be a FORCIBLE felony, and there often must be a greater danger to the public by allowing the fleeing felon to escape then there would be by using lethal force to stop him.

This seems like a capital D Dumb move to me, regardless of the legality. Shooting in a crowded area to recover some insured property is just... Dumb.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    This seems like a capital D Dumb move to me, regardless of the legality. Shooting in a crowded area to recover some insured property is just... Dumb.
    I concur 100%.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Its probably pretty safe to say without being a lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn, its California and they'll throw the book at the shooter.

Yep it is Dumb just Dumb~~
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

In California he will be nailed to the wall and rightly so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links