Animal threats - Page 2

Animal threats

This is a discussion on Animal threats within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Coyotes have gotten so bad around here there is actually a bounty on them. I have small kids and small domestic animals and don't need ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Animal threats

Coyotes have gotten so bad around here there is actually a bounty on them. I have small kids and small domestic animals and don't need coyotes or any other wild animals in my yard. I've seen a few skunks at night, but man those things are quick. I've already had the red tail hawks swooping down at my large cat (can you imagine a hawk trying to carry off a 13 pound cat?) and now we've got a small cat. The big one's been buzzed enough times she knows how to traverse the yard without leaving herself wide open. I watched a hawk dive on a squirrel one day, snatch it up, and take it about 100 feet high and drop it. After the hit, it circled and came back and got it and flew off. Nice kill strategy.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Coyotes...with two or 4 legs...should be shot on site.OMOYMV
    I would make an exception for the 2 legged cougars, as they provide joy and valuable experience for today's young bucks!!
    When asked if the fans that ran on the field naked were men or women, Yogi replied "I don't know, they had bags over their heads."

I assume the bear was a "blacK"

Here in the Seattle area they are becoming a REAL PROBLEM, not only in the rural areas, but in the URBAN. Blacks seek out "food" sources. Keep your home clear of them. ( garbage cans, pet food outside, bird feeders etc.)
    Generally speaking, they do not "attack" but they can & will.
    Best advise, if you spot one roaming & If you or someone else is not in immediate danger call 911.

Puffer
    Last edited by puffer; December 18th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.

California for a time, don't know if they still do, had a significant problem with Coy-dogs. These were interbred coyote/dog combinations that occurred in the wild, not by breeders. I don't know if other parts of the country have or have had the same problem. The interbreeding led to coyotes that no longer had their fear of humans and were much more apt to approach humans and their dwellings. It even resulted in things like babies being snatched out of ourdoor playpens. The combination of attributes of the two animals, within one, created a significantly more dangerous creature.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    California for a time, don't know if they still do, had a significant problem with Coy-dogs. These were interbred coyote/dog combinations that occurred in the wild, not by breeders. I don't know if other parts of the country have or have had the same problem. The interbreeding led to coyotes that no longer had their fear of humans and were much more apt to approach humans and their dwellings. It even resulted in things like babies being snatched out of ourdoor playpens. The combination of attributes of the two animals, within one, created a significantly more dangerous creature.
    To tell the truth I believe that is what I'm dealing with more so than " pure coyotes". Some of these fellas have absolutely no fear of people or dogs. I've got a English Mastiff that's the size of 3 or 4 coyotes put together and they don't fear him.

As of late, our Big Cats ( Cougars) have in our outlying rural areas, have been causing a "stir". So far no Humans have been "accosted", but between, the "scares of seeing them & the fact that MANY small dogs have been "taken" (to a cougar, a small yippy dog = "a fast food takeout" , our WAFW officers are not "amused".
    BTW, where the "cats" roam, the coyotes provide a good meal.

Puffer

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    kccad, I agree whole heartidly
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Amongst other things of course, two separate bear encounters while fishing are what started me carrying. One was quite threatening. We had been fishing a hole in the river to no avail and scrambled back up to the truck parked at the top of an embankment, parked in a small edge of a hairpin corner. Two curious cubs approached a group of 3 of us, including one dog in an extremely remote area. They were followed by an approximately 400 lb. Mother who looked increasingly serious the closer she got to us. Fortunately we jumped in the truck and lurched forward to pull out of the hairpin corner we nearly got trapped in and the large truck scared them all off. By the time we were all in the truck our distance to the cubs was nearly 25-30 feet with the Mother right behind them. She didn't seem to want to approach us in the beginning but her dumb young cubs didn't know the difference and she wasn't about to let anything happen to 'em.

We had 3 pistols between the 3 of us. In 3 separate bags. In the truck. Fail.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I have a buddy who set up a trail cam on a coyote den last spring. Says he had pics of the pack dragging in over 70 fawns. I'm going to guess some were duplicate pics, possibly, I haven't had time to quiz him about the time stamps on the pics. Either way, that's a big influence on the whitetail population...

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My biggest concern with coyotes is rabies. Here recently a rabid otter, of all things, bit a kid. Rabid animals turn up more frequently than one would imagine here in S. FL. Anything and everything is subject to rabies, so wild animals that don't shy away should be watched closely. Other than that, I don't concern myself with them. And the coyotes can have the cat next door.
    Here, the chances of a coyote being rapid are almost zilch. There has been about 1 rabid coyote found in the entire state since 1967. Here, rabies are mostly in skunks and bats. In the last several years, there have been only 3 people in the USA with rabies, and they got it from animals while overseas.

My concern would be .... pets and smaller children. They may see them as 'lunch' and easy prey.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    There have been cases of Rabies in the U.S. and it is something to be concerned about in quite a few states now. We've had a little outbreak down here of positive rabies in November/December time frame and that's highly unusual for this time of year.

Here's a link to the known cases.

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/dis...reports/us.pdf
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I always carry while walking/jogging around my neighborhood. I usually walk at about 10p or 11p, as there are less people and less cars. However, I've had one scary incident.

I was about half way through my walk when I came to an intersection in my subdivision and immediately heard the sound of dogs barking and coming toward me. My immediate reaction was to reach for my gun. As my hand reached it, I realized there were two relatively small dogs on a leash with their owner behind them. Fortunately I saw the figure of the man before pulling my G26. Not sure if the guy noticed my hand reaching to my side.

Second one was similar and happened yesterday. I was visiting my parents and as I walked back out to my car I heard a very angry dog bark across the street. As I knew there was plenty of distance, I didn't reach for my gun but instead noticed the dog looking at me while he was in the backyard. No idea if there was one of those hidden fences, if he was chained, or what, but he didn't like the way I looked.

Either way, I learned very quickly that I'm pretty good at identifying the threat before even pulling the gun. Nice assurance that I'll hopefully make the right decision if I ever come into a situation where my life truly is in danger.

Jersey is crawling with bear and coyote. You see them frequently even in the suburbs.
    With our new governor we finally had a bear hunt this fall. (I think hunters took nearly 600...officials were hoping for 800).
    Black bear are generally not dangerous, unless it's a momma with her cubs...or if they set up shop under your front porch and feed on neighborhood pets.
    This was the case with 380lb bear just last spring in Wayne NJ.
    http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-bear-k...,7606745.story
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I have a couple of 70+ year old cougars that used to wave at me when I forgot to close the bathroom blind. Had to install one way film. Could not take their laughter. Tough neighborhood.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    We have gone out a couple times this winter to call coyotes and we have seen a huge increase in numbers. With in two hours we saw 18 total 9 in one pack. That many in a pack in light time hours will make you nervous especially if you have livestock. Our next outing we were out for an hour and a half and saw 12 yotes 5 being the largest pack. It may be a long winter dealing with them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links