Animal threats

Animal threats

This is a discussion on Animal threats within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I posted a thread earlier this week about a bear I saw (within 100 feet of me) as I was walking through the parking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Animal threats

Animal threats

OK, I posted a thread earlier this week about a bear I saw (within 100 feet of me) as I was walking through the parking lot at work. Yesterday, as I was getting in my truck and pulling out to go to work I saw a coyote across the street from my house. I stood there for about 10 minutes waiting to see if he would cross the street (plausible shot with my Ruger Police Service Six .357 Magnum), but it never crossed and I left for work. It was just slowly walking around in the field across the street which I thought was strange during daylight. A buddy of mine was being stalked by a bobcat a few weeks ago while he was leaning up against a tree hunting foxes (that was about 2 miles from my house). We typically think in terms of 2-legged threats, but lets not forget the 4-legged variety. Seems like I've been seeing more animals in town and the neighborhood with the snow on the ground.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

photo.jpg

BD, This varmit and I have (was) playing a game of cat and mouse for the last couple of years every time I would go into the woods, he would watch me and follow me at a distance. Ran up behind me a couple of times, getting as clse as 10 yards. Game over this year. 30 yard shot between the shoulder blades with my m66.

Critters around Ky are making a come back in a big way, thanks to good conservation efforts of hunters and land management. We now have black bears.

I dont worry to much about these normal ones running around...its that damn bigfoot thing they say is running around out there that concerns me. What caliber do ya use on that?

Coyotes...with two or 4 legs...should be shot on site.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    The only animal I had to shoot was a sick coon that hanging out around our old house and getting a little aggresive. My G22 solved the issue neatly. We've got a lot of black bears and coyotes around here. We get the occasional bear wandering into town a few times a year and had one walk alongside the house last year. I don't worry about them much. It's the occasional aggresive, stray dogs that people like to dump around here that concern me the most.

gman10mm, I've heard heavy & hardcast for them bigfoots is the way to go.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My biggest concern with coyotes is rabies. Here recently a rabid otter, of all things, bit a kid. Rabid animals turn up more frequently than one would imagine here in S. FL. Anything and everything is subject to rabies, so wild animals that don't shy away should be watched closely. Other than that, I don't concern myself with them. And the coyotes can have the cat next door.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We also get some critters in town, especially if you live near the edge of town. The pic was taken a couple years ago, the bushes they are eating are about twenty feet from my front door .
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    photo.jpg

BD, This varmit and I have (was) playing a game of cat and mouse for the last couple of years every time I would go into the woods, he would watch me and follow me at a distance. Ran up behind me a couple of times, getting as clse as 10 yards. Game over this year. 30 yard shot between the shoulder blades with my m66.
    Glockman, if you didn't keep bringing home those nice deer carcasses your canine buddy wouldn't have been so interested in you!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Coyotes...with two or 4 legs...should be shot on site.OMOYMV
    I have to agree completely. I have a constant supply of the 4 legged variety. I realized the other day that it has been at least 2yrs. since I have seen a rabbit or squirrel and I live in a pretty heavily wooded area. So yes we try to shoot every coyote we see.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    photo.jpg

Critters around Ky are making a come back in a big way, thanks to good conservation efforts of hunters and land management. We now have black bears.

I dont worry to much about these normal ones running around...its that damn bigfoot thing they say is running around out there that concerns me. What caliber do ya use on that?
    500 S&W - I hope you have ear plugs.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I've seen more bobcats this year than I seen in the last 10yrs put together ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

South Africa 2009 750.jpgSouth Africa 2009 707.jpgSouth Africa 2009 969.jpg

Fortunately, no need to worry about these, here, anyway. The first is a lioness charging a member of our party, while I was trying to get a pic. The second is a calf elephant that rammed my wife and I cause we were seperating her from mommy, and the third are two rhinos grazing that I photoed while walking across a field after an unlucky morning of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    We also get some critters in town, especially if you live near the edge of town. The pic was taken a couple years ago, the bushes they are eating are about twenty feet from my front door .
    That is cool. Not a good place for the kiddies to go sledding! Maybe if critters like this were more plenty around towns across the country, it would help keep the thugs indoors and off the streets.

Animal threats are something to be aware of no doubt. In town more so than out of town. Critters tend to move in closer due to the weather, or human encroachment into their territories. Sometimes the wild animals will tend to shy away from places with domesticated animals.....then there's your neighbor who stores bags of trash outside the home to lure them in closer. I've had my bouts with coyotes before, but never been stalked by one. The lone coyote will usually be seen during daylight hours.....the pack after dark. A freshly cut hayfield will bring them in from everywhere no matter the time of day. I don't concern myself much with the coyotes out in the country unless they are harassing the livestock. Rabies? I'm more concerned with the small fry.......possums, skunks, and coons. Statistically more of a threat to spread the disease to domesticated animals and humans.
    I rather like to see and observe wildlife. I'll see it more at home than I will walking through the woods for sure. Perceiving the threat or intentions of wildlife that's come rather close to you will come with experience and observation, and judging when the aggressive stage has begun. Many folks who live in town may become more alarmed at the sight of a wild animal because it's something they seldom deal with compared to folks in the country setting. Many times, man displaces natural habitat and puts them on the move. Animals adapt just like we do, and possibly a bit slower because they don't rely on anything except nature. We make nature adapt to us in ways. This is why nature keeps sending us messages that we don't actually rule anything on this earth.
    Been about six years since I've seen a black bear up on the hill behind the house. While I was rather intent on observing it, apparently the folks up the hill had also seen it and called the county animal control. They hunted it down and tranquilized it and relocated it from what I gathered on the news the following day. There were several caves on that 10 acre hillside (neighbor's land). I can't help but think of cubs doing without momma bear that day because somebody freaked out at the sight of a bear too close to home for their own comfort. Usually the wildlife approach closer for a reason.....most of the time we can blame ourselves. Wrecking their environment, or inviting them in with something they need and cannot find anywhere else.
    Hunting is good, and it serves a dual purpose. Population control and food. Wildlife conservation and land management will also help in preserving natural habitat....that's one of the most important things I'd like all of my tax dollars to go toward. Any aggressive animal should be dispatched, and each threat we'll personally identify. I'm not going to shoot a coyote just because it's a coyote, but I'd help my neighbor dispatch them if they had problems with an infestation. The less impact I have on nature, the more I can ask from it. I ask little, but I'm always amazed at what it brings me without asking.

I've dispatched quite a few 4-legged predators for killing or trying to kill my chickens, er, LIVESTOCK. I'll shoot anything that I catch messing with them, even if it's wearing a collar (if you love them, KEEP YOUR DOGS HOME!!) Believe it or not, in my lifetime we've only shot one raccoon that we strongly suspected had rabies. However, since we deal with small fry preds all the time that is one vax I don't let lapse for my dogs.

However, I've never had any personal problems with the wild life that was just being wild. I've met a coyote in the woods and it just kept on going. No problem for me, I only have problems if it comes for me or my critters. I know they're out there, I hear them sing at night. So long as they stay "out there" it's all good. Pretty much the same as Ram Rod was saying.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Thae problem around here is coyotes have no natural predators. They are thick around here now and our Fish and Wildlife Dept is encouraging hunters to shoot them, due to deprivation on deer during the fawning season and calves of livestock.

My yote was not really stalking me per say, but had mistaken me for something else, probably the scent free soap and raccoon urine on my boots as a cover scent. It always ran away when it recognized its mistake before I could shoot. This went on for a couple of seasons, but the law of averages caught up to him..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links