I need a concealed carry recommendation - Page 3

I need a concealed carry recommendation

This is a discussion on I need a concealed carry recommendation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, I'll get myself in some hot water here. You mention a nasty part of town. That translates "increased threat" in a risk assessment, therefore ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need a concealed carry recommendation

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Okay, I'll get myself in some hot water here. You mention a nasty part of town. That translates "increased threat" in a risk assessment, therefore I'd be hesitant to reduce caliber, reduce capacity, and I wouldn't want to go so deep in concealment as to hinder access to my weapon. One thing to consider would be the risk of being made and how likely that is or isn't. Once you know that I'd try to optimize what I have.

Having said all that, I'd try hard to go 9mm at a minimum unless the risk of being made drove me to conceal in such a way that the size/format was so small it had to be a .380. That's awfully small when you consider the size of some of the 9mm's like the kahr PM9. However, a small 9 can be hard to shoot well so you have to also factor in your ability to shoot the gun well for both the first and subsequent shots because in a nasty part of town the odds are that a true SD situation will go from merely presenting the gun to multiple rounds with little/lower odds of you only firing one round.

Sounds like a lot but you have to blend all of this together to come up with something that's the right balance of all these factors. I would only recommend a .380 if you can't find a way to cover all the key objectives with a 9mm or .38 +p. If you can get proper concealment, shootability, comfort, capacity, etc with a 9mm then great.

I have a Kahr P380 for dress pants without any cover garment. In that case pocket carry is the best I can do. For me a J frame is too bulky in dress pants. I've tried smart carry and don't like it. I won't use a tuckable type holster because i think it's very slow to access and becasue I think people can/might/will notice that little clip on your belt that has nothing on it. Most won't but someday someone will and I can't afford that. Your mileage may very. It's all got to fit your circumstances and choices.

Personally the PM9, P380, and J frames are all good options but if that part of your town is that nasty, I'd want a few more rounds and a gun that affords a full three finger group that I shoot well.

For me that means a Kahr P or K9, an MK9 or a Compact 1911 .45 ACP. I find glocks to be too thick.

So put all that together and read what RamRod wrote again and go from there.

Good Luck
    Gideon

all good advice guys. thanks! i guess my issue is being made. i think ill give the g26 some more work in terms of gear to carry her in. sounds like the most economical way to go. Happy holidays.

Sorry for the late posting. I now realize it isn't MA-approved. But my current CCW set-up is the Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace Laserguard, Rem GS .380 102gr rounds, in a Recluse-plus pocket holster.

That is what I am carrying here on the other end of I-90 in the Pacific Northwest.

boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johniac7078 View Post
    all good advice guys. thanks! i guess my issue is being made. i think ill give the g26 some more work in terms of gear to carry her in. sounds like the most economical way to go. Happy holidays.
    Excellent! I think that you already have a handgun that can be concealed easily given the right gear. Therefore, just explore other holster options available and you will be fine. Don't forget to consider in your investment a good mag holster since you will be working in a bad part of town.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by johniac7078 View Post
    Hi All: I conceal carry a G26. I love the firearm. It shoots well, reliable....you know all this already. BUT...I want to get something that is a bit easier to deep conceal. I jus took a job in a nasty part of the city and would like to go for deep concealment.

I am not a caliber snob, but I would like a minimum of a .380, PREFERABLY a minimum of a 9mm.

Please let me know.

One more thing.....I live in MA......so some guns may not be on the "approved" list.
    I use two old Colt revolvers from the early 60s: the classic Detective and it's alloy-bodied twin Colt Cobra .38. Neither was fired much when I bought and they are dreams to shoot, especially the Detective for defensive shooting, holds 6 rounds, incredibly accurate, and small enough to conceal well. The Cobra only weighs 15 or 16 oz at empty, also holds 6 and it's lighter gun so it has more jump but can be learned well.

As to the difficulty of finding Colt gunsmiths that you read sometimes? I've never had to use one, but there are more around than can work on Colt revolvers for most common ailments than people think. And revolvers in general are a hearty breed. And there's always Colt itself in a pinch. Costs for these guns: $400 - $500 average.

Anyway, can't go wrong with a snub!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links