Leave it in the car or at home

This is a discussion on Leave it in the car or at home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wife and I are going on a pub crawl tonight. It's tradition because it is where we met. I am not drinking because I'm driving ...

Thread: Leave it in the car or at home

Leave it in the car or at home

Wife and I are going on a pub crawl tonight. It's tradition because it is where we met. I am not drinking because I'm driving so should I leave the gun in the car or at home?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Pubs? Considered a bar or tavern? No CC if so, whether drinking or not. If this is taking place in Orlando, I'd say at least keep it in the car.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If I go somewhere I can't carry, it's normally in the car when I get in.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

If you're going to leave a gun in the car for a short period of time, please lock it up with someone like the Center of Mass safe.

Locked up in the car is my vote.

kpw
    They ain't perfect but the COM safes are a lot better than your glovebox. I use one every time I have to leave it in the car.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I say leave your carry gun in your car properly secured and just take your EDC pocket knife to the pub. Not that something is going to happen inside the pub, but you never know if someone might try to jump you on the way to the car in the parking lot.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    My understanding of FL law, is that if there is an attached restaurant area (ie. Applebee's, Outback, TGI Friday's), and you don't enter the bar area, your legal to carry. Not knowing the type of places your going to, if they don't fit the description above, leave it locked in the car.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Leave it in the car. Some prefer gun safes to secure their weapons in the car and I see nothing wrong with that idea. Personally, I prefer secreted compartments that can be used for weapons or other small items of value.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

If you're not allowed to carry inside due to state law, then leave it in the car. If you were going to be drinking, I'd say leave it at home, but since you are DD and not drinking, I would have my gun with me when out for a night on the town.

I would also be very leery and careful not to get drawn into any encounters because of your intoxicated companions. You do not want to get dragged into any situations because your companions full of liquid courage start to become stupid and gin up trouble.

If they can't enjoy themselves without starting trouble, you should cut the night short and go home early with your wife.

Remember the Rule of Stupids! You'll be walking a very fine line being in the presence of stupid people, in stupid places, doing stupid things. Not a good mix for having a gun near by.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sorry you are in Florida... here, you'ld just wear the gun anywhere you go unless it's posted by the owner.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    Wife and I are going on a pub crawl tonight. It's tradition because it is where we met. I am not drinking because I'm driving so should I leave the gun in the car or at home?
    I never like leaving a gun in a car. I myself would rather leave it locked up safely in the safe at home.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    If you're going to leave a gun in the car for a short period of time, please lock it up with someone like the Center of Mass safe.
    I do need to get one of those. Do you owna and use one?
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    I do need to get one of those. Do you owna and use one?
    - I bought one of them for each car that I own. I like the combination version better than the key version. I really only use it if I can't legally carry (post office, federal buildings). It comes with a steel cable that you can anchor to your seat frame or something else. It's not going to stop someone that steals your car, but it will deter the average smash and grab thief. The Center of Mass safe is rebranded several times.

Secure-It Combination Lock Handgun Storage Safe
    GunVault NanoVault 300

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Locked up in the car is my vote.
    That also gets my vote.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Links