Talk with Pastor - Page 3

Talk with Pastor

This is a discussion on Talk with Pastor within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 Greetings, Michael...how's life been for you? Merry Christmas and certainly have a Happy New Year. Ken Hi, Ken. We are doing ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Talk with Pastor

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Greetings, Michael...how's life been for you?
    Merry Christmas and certainly have a Happy New Year.

Ken
    Hi, Ken. We are doing well. Very busy. Moved July 1 to SW FL. Great church.
    Hope you and yours are well, as well. Merry Christmas. Happy New Year.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    When the new pastor arrived I asked on the QT about his feeling about guns; he was a mild gun guy and then I asked about guns in church. He knew that KS had CC and that I hung out with a guy who was a hunter and that had taught me to deer hunt --- he asked if I had my permit and I said yes I did and that I had and might just be armed in church! He said he would like that.
    Can we trade pastors .... ?? Ours seems to think "he is" the right hand of God. The most arrogant righteous self-serving person I've ever seen ...... so you can guess, him & I don't see eye to eye. I told him one day (which I meant) that I don't think he had any better connection to God than any other person.... because God loved ALL of his people. He's been ticked since.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I go to a fairly small church...probably 70 or so people each sunday. There are two of us who carry...one is a police officer, the other is me. The pastor knows we both carry, and he's glad we do.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I don't think he had any better connection to God than any other person.... because God loved ALL of his people. He's been ticked since.
    You got that part right. Find a better place to worship.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    You got that part right. Find a better place to worship.
    Yea, find a place where they worship God...not the pastor.

Gideon, what makes you think you need permission in Missouri? You don't.

A great thread. A few unrelated comments:

Boycotting a business is different than boycotting a church. Given the choice between church and SD, some will chose church. Someone who is deeply faithful may care more about their faith than their life. Unfortunately this also affects others around them, not just themselves, so this can be a very difficult thing.

If I was a pastor and someone asked if they could carry in my church, I would only require that they carry legally and perhaps discreetly. Other than that, no requirements on my part.

In my church the policy is that carrying is "not appropriate". However, I'm not aware of anyone that has asked permission from their leader and been denied.

In Utah carrying in churches is allowed unless:
    1. "No guns" signs are posted
    2. "No guns" is requested verbally
    3. The church has posted on the state-wide registry

The penalty for "knowingly" violating a church's "no gun" rule is that you can be cited for an infraction. If you don't "know", you can't be cited.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Why do you need a gun when your in the house of God? Shouldn't an all powerful omnipotent God take care of those who worship him?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Why do you need a gun when your in the house of God? Shouldn't an all powerful omnipotent God take care of those who worship him?
    Google Wedgwood Baptist church shooting Fort Worth.

But that is not the point you're trying to make is it?

Is that a real question? Or are you simply pointing out what you think to be ironic? Both?
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    Is that a real question? Or are you simply pointing out what you think to be ironic? Both?
    As a real question it's way off topic and yes, it is ironic isn't it?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

As a real question it's way off topic and yes, it is ironic isn't it?
    It depends on which religion one practices, but it's not ironic at all for either Christians or Jews.

I'm not a 'church' guy, I suppose I'm agnostic. Yet I don't know any 'real' Christians (I used to be a bible thumper that would annoy you all) who believe that God will physically protect you, or that it's His job to think of the stuff you forget, or choose not to do. Even the Apostles were armed, and they were in smelling distance of Jesus on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Well as a senior pastor, you can check my signature and guess where I stand. What kind of response you receive frankly will depend upon where you are in the country, the denomination of church you attend, and the background of your pastor. More "baptistic"? Probably more gun friendly. More pentecostal? Likely less so. In the NE or West Coast? Probably more likely to find resistance than throughout the south or Midwest. Here in AZ church carry is legal without permission; for that matter, Constitutional Carry says anyone who can own a handgun and is 21 or older can conceal it (other than in an establishment that serves alcohol on the premises...that requires CCW).

Most of the pastors I know are fine with people carrying. I know I am, and we regularly have 4 or 5 armed men in a congregation of 170 or so including me. The congregation knows I am a firearms enthusiast, and regularly take anyone in church who wants to learn out shooting or hunting. We do ask that those who are armed let us know, just so we can include them in planning should anything happen in our midst. Plus, if you want to carry I want you as part of our informal security plan!

My advice to anyone who wants to carry in church is to talk with their leadership, neither demanding nor hat in hand. Go and give honest information, then live for Christ and not for people.

Also, for the record, I do NOT believe that we can treat our church like a place of business. I agree that I will not patronize a business with a "no guns allowed" sign, but the consumer mentality is not what God wants for Christians. We are a community not a business or a dispenser of products. If that is our attitude we have stepped FAR away from the model of church that I read about in Scripture. Sure, if I were new in town and looking for a place to call home it would be an issue. Otherwise, hopping from church to church because of what the church offers you is not the way to go. Instead, be the change agent to balance your congregation and bring healthy change where it is needed. Dive in instead of abandoning ship and make a difference where you are.
    so glad i joined these forums, as a new christian i've been in somewhat of a struggle with owning firearms and carrying. looking forward to reading your site!
    .45ACP 1911 Colt Commander XSE

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Most pastors are realizing that chuch related volience is on the rise and see the need. My pastor is not a gun guy at all but knows there is a need and supports peoples rights and decision to carry. Also, just because you have cops in your church, don't assume they are packing. We had at one time 5 deputies at my church and NONE of them carried to church. Yes, I did say none. They are not allowed either to participate on the security team by orders from the Sherriff.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links