Talk with Pastor

Talk with Pastor

This is a discussion on Talk with Pastor within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So for those of you who have spoken with your pastor about getting his permission to conceal carry in church, how did it turn out? ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Talk with Pastor

Talk with Pastor

So for those of you who have spoken with your pastor about getting his permission to conceal carry in church, how did it turn out? How did the conversation go?

I probably don't have the same idea of "pastor" as you do, but I am a preacher, and have spoken about the topic to many others. So many opinions, pretty much one for each!

The states I carry in either allow carry in worship services or they don't; I don't know of any state where the permission of a leader in the assembly is required, and I would not ask. I don't need for anyone to know I'm carrying, whether I'm in front of the congregation or among it.

The one exception I've made to that rule is a Sherriff who attends the congregation I work with the most. He knows I carry, and the only reason he does is because he asked, "and" because I don't want to either get in the way or get shot if a situation should actually arise. I doubt it ever would. The main reason I carry in church is to avoid leaving the gun unprotected in the car!

Remember, it is often better to ask forgiveness than permission (& don't try to apply that idea to the Lord's commandments!).

Senior Moderator
    We have a security team that totes. Since it is still illegal in Arkansas to tote in church, we are all cops of some sort and it is legal for us to do so.
    My Pastor totes. He can do that because there is a loop hole that allows him to carry in his place of buisness.
    The rest are certified officers and its not an issue we can pretty much tote anywhere.

Many of the Pastors here tote.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I just talked with mine a couple of weeks ago. He's all for it,as he as a CCW as well. We are trying to sort things out such as training,tactics and the like. I just have to carry carefully.I teach sunday school and have kids stuck on me like little velcro midgets.

In my state, permission from the Pastor is not required. I carry, and obviously am fine with others who carry concealed. I would not be in favor of open carry...legal or not...just because it is bound to make some people nervous....and usually, people who don't like something leave the church. If someone who has attended the church for a while asked me, I'd give my approval. If someone that I'd never seen before popped in the door and asked...I'd have to wonder a little about them. Normally, the first conversation with the Pastor isn't "can I carry?"

I am a worship pastor and have me CCDW (Kentucky). I do not carry at church, though I probably should. Have no strong conviction about it, but I do know that two of the musicians/tech folks on my team are always armed. Have never spoken to the senior pastor about it, though we have had "security" talks. Hopeing a more definite game plan is in place in the near future. The head of our greeting team is retired Sherriff. Don't know if he carries, but would not surprise me.

Thanks for all the replys. This would not be the first conversation I would have had with my pastor. I have been a member of this church going on nine years. If I am reading the law correctly it states that permission is needed from a senior authority within the church. I would rather not ask at all but was wondering how some others conversations had progressed.

It is legal in Florida and permission is not required. But, out of deferrence to his pastoral leadership, I did mention to my pastor that I conceal carry but would not do so in church unless he was okay with it. He was very agreeable. So I do!

I live in FL where I don't have to ask anyone to be prepared to defend myself in church. In MI, however, permission from the pastor is required to be armed in a church.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha..... no, I already knows how he feels.... he has more No Gun signs posted that Noah had animals on the Ark. It hasn't effected me much... I did tell him I'ld come back when he takes them down.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I don't know of any state where the permission of a leader in the assembly is required
    Wyoming is one of those states where permission is required to be legal. Don't know about that conversation though because I don't attend church any longer and have no intention of doing so any time in the future.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Our gun policy in the church I attend is "hit what you aim at." In any given service I know there are at least five that are armed. This spring I am going to do a CCW class for the cost of the book for up to 20 in the men's ministry - then we will have more. Other than the cost it will be the same as I do with any CCW group - by the book, safety first and how to stay out of jail. Then and only then will we do live fire.

Don't turn your place of worship into a free fire zone - take down the signs.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

MI is another state that requires permission from the Pastor in order to carry at church.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

this is an enlighting thread ...
    O. D. A. T.

PM
    When the new pastor arrived I asked on the QT about his feeling about guns; he was a mild gun guy and then I asked about guns in church. He knew that KS had CC and that I hung out with a guy who was a hunter and that had taught me to deer hunt --- he asked if I had my permit and I said yes I did and that I had and might just be armed in church! He said he would like that. After the pastor got shot in IL he also asked if I would watch his back when I was there and I said I already was. Told him I would want to some watching my six if I was in his position and he knew I had been; I am also ordained and current chosing not to serve a church. While I would like to know who all is carrying in a church I served in KS you ARE NOT required to ask the pastor or anyone else in authority in the congregation. The first 6 months to a year of KS CCW law churches where on the THOU SHALT NOT CARRY IN PLACES in the law but thanks to some liberal do-gooders the law got ammended (well the liberals cause the law to get ammended when they started encouraging citys to post no gun signage in parks and other outdoor venues!)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links