CCW Mistaken for Criminal

This is a discussion on CCW Mistaken for Criminal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About the only "positive" BG ID's that can be made in a crisis are: 1) Unidentified person with a threatening weapon pointed at you and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW Mistaken for Criminal

About the only "positive" BG ID's that can be made in a crisis are:

1) Unidentified person with a threatening weapon pointed at you and who has not IDed themself as a LEO

2) ID10T walking and randomly shooting with a weapon of some sort.

Just about anything else can be hard to discern for a CCW holder or a LEO.

Weapons out not pointed at me my first thoughts are to get my family to cover.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    If you are not an LEO, you do not have a duty to protect others...
    And if you are an LEO, you don't have a legal duty to protect others either, true?

Yes it could happen, but not to just CWP holders. There has been two cases within a year or so where one police officer shoots a plain clothes officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia Chillia
    And if you are an LEO, you don't have a legal duty to protect others either, true?
    Most likely the only thing that a prosocuting attorney would view more negativly that impersonating an officer is actually beliveing that you had the authority to act as one.

Dont forget, that having a CCW does not automaticaly give us thet authority to use lethal force. and if we choose to we should be prepared to be treated just the same as somone who doesn't have a CCW until all the fact have been squared away!

I agree with Falcon 1, because your CCW is meant to provide you and yours only. Thus, if you see something going down call police. However, others may have differing opinions I just don't feel like being sued by the person I was trying to help.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Question Depends

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia Chillia
    On your departments SOPs.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Lead Moderator
    I agree w/ Falcon1 as well. As to the CCW badge, it is easy for someone to claim you said you were a LE. I know some of the apprehensions I have made(even though I identified myself as Loss Prevention) have mistaken me for LE.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Regarding the badge: I saw it in an issue of Gun World and couldn't stop laughing. I thought it fit this post perfectly. I see now that I was correct.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Good job. You got us all thinking about it.

Warren v DC 1981

"fundamental principle of American law is that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any one individual." SCOTUS

This has been upheld on EVERY CHALLENGE TO this caselaw. You have a duty to the public at large, not the individual. This is why you can't sue the cops for not stopping the mugger from beating the crap out of you as you dialed 911 or sue the EMT's because your daughter choked to death before they could get there. This is the essense of why I choose to carry a firearm: I am the only one responsible for my safety and well being. I also choose to come to the aid of strangers. I'd rather be broke than know that someone is dead because I failed to act and could have prevented their death. I carry not for myself, but for those that need help. YMMV.

I have a state issued license to carry a concealed pistol. That is all I need.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

This is starting to get funny!

The subject of "intervention" keeps coming up and the Forum at large swings like the proverbial pendulum.

Give me a break.

All it takes is one scenario in which intervention goes wrong, and everyone (just about) jumps on the "For me and mine, ALONE" bandwagon.

Start another thread with a tale of some poor soul getting the life slowly beaten out of them while people ignore their pleas for help, and suddenly everyone is ready to charge in on a white horse to the rescue, shouting, "Evil prevails when good men do nothing!"

And often, it's the same people posting in both threads.

Isn't it about time to admit that "hard and fast" rules about "tactical situations" simply DO NOT EXIST?

Remember the poll thread I started about intervention? All said and done, just about everyone came up with a "qualifier" in which they would "get involved," something I personally found to be rather gratifying. (That THREAD)

You can "what if" any situation to the point where any action would be wrong. On the Forum, you can do that safely. In "real life," you'd better not.

Life is fluid. Be careful of depending on "fixed responses."

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Amen Mike
    One thing I have learned in the last 49 years is never say never.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Scenario: You get involved in a situation where you end up covering a BG with your gun. You need help. You yell "POLICE CALL 911". This is a simple phrase meant to alert bystanders that you need help, but can be misconstrued as you IDing yourself as an LEO. OTOH, it gives the BG and others present food for thought that you might be an LEO, so they'd better behave. Is yelling "POLICE CALL 911" good or bad?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

The range where I shoot is an outdoor range so we have a lot of things we can do that are not possible at many big city indoor ranges. There are several of us that work on scenarios set up by different ones in the group then the players have to respond. Not all of them are shoots. We do the virbal work too. Many are resolved w/o drawing (Get a few strange looks on occasion.) The one thing we all train on is the repeated verbal instruction to any public person around. "Call the police. I have a CHL. Give them a discription of the permit holder, wearing blue shirt. Need an ambulance for one down. Remind them I have permit & give them my discription."(this line is repeated often) We are hollering this all the time. If possible as the shooter I want to be on the telephone as soon as possible giving all that info myself. We actually practice getting the phone out & talking on it. (Just don't dial 911) We know that in a shoot you are not going to rise to the occasion but be reduced to your daily level of constant training. This includes what you do after the noise stops. Therefore we practice the virbal part too. We have all agreed that it has been very valuable.
    We have just talked about adding & practicing what happens when the PD arrives.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

I carry concealled to protect my family and myself only!!!!!!! It would take a unique and special situation for me to draw and help anybody else. If the threat was not at me directly, I would seek cover and try to be a good witness while calling the 911. I see no need to be RAMBO and solve the worlds disputes. My job is to get my family home in one piece.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links