CCW Mistaken for Criminal

This is a discussion on CCW Mistaken for Criminal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow! I didn't think my original post would cause so much discussion. I suppose that's good. I agree with MadMike. I don't think you can ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CCW Mistaken for Criminal

Wow! I didn't think my original post would cause so much discussion. I suppose that's good. I agree with MadMike. I don't think you can draw hard lines for every situation. There are certainly instances where the BG's ID is positive (armed robber in bank/store).

Certainly training is key to handling a situation before and after an encounter, and being a good witness is sometimes the best thing. BUT, there are some limited situations where I would choose to intervene. My question is about the OTHER permit holder who mistakes YOU for a BG. I'm sure that nobody here would ever act hastily But there are some who are not trained as well as they should be and don't practice with verbal comands and a phone in their hands. How do you, who just drew down on the BG, keep your back covered from a leo wanna be who just can't wait to be the hero. I know some will think that I must want to be the hero to even suggest putting myself in this situation, but there are times when we would all draw our weapons.

If all this is too far beyond our normal tactical training....(i hope not) then think of the situation in regards to self defense or in defense of your family: You encounter a BG and handle the situation as best you know. You either fire or not....whatever. You are standing there in public with a gun in your hands. I NEVER want to see a ccw badge, but what's stopping the guy coming around the corner from seeing you with a gun and drawing his own, or even a witness could mistakenly think you assalted the BG...............I know we don't want to "get involved" too hastily if we come upon such a situation, but what about the one who does want to get his name in the paper?

Well, I've rambled on long enough. Thanks for the comments.

2. Remove Ads

skunkworks,

That's the great thing about this Forum, you never quite know where a thread will go.

Well, that and the fact that you'll often get very different takes on just about everything, but people here don't usually feel we all have to think the same way.

I've great respect for those who post on this Forum, and I don't mean just those who think along the same lines I do either. My thoughts on different subjects can change, sometimes just by finding out why others feel differently.

Many times, it turns out that our differences are really just "matters of degrees," and not actually fundamental differences.

I've said it before, we don't all walk in "lock-step," but we do walk together.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Still same answer. Hollering Permit To Carry. announce to all. Several of us in my area have talked about it. When 3 of us have bumped into each other at Walmart while the women were shopping. 3 wives & my Mom make for 7 in the store that we know of, sure could be more that we don't. We all agree that "when the gun comes out the shouting starts." Permit to Carry, call the police give my discription. If addressing a BG. When the gun comes out Permit to Carry Put that (knife, gun, club ...down.) Call the police CHL, Give my description... works for Joe citizen or any other legally armed citizen.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks
    Wow! I didn't think my original post would cause so much discussion. I suppose that's good. I agree with MadMike. I don't think you can draw hard lines for every situation. There are certainly instances where the BG's ID is positive (armed robber in bank/store).
    Well, again, that depends. Say you walk into a gas station and see two guys behind the counter. One is pointing a gun at the other, who has his hands up and is begging for his life. Is the one with the gun the perp or the clerk?

I think it is hasty to say that we should never, ever get involved in the defense of another. There's got to be an analysis of the situation before we know what's the right thing to do: Is my family safe? Am I clear on who is the bad guy? Do the conditions and my skills contribute to a good shoot? Are there other viable options?

All this requires a lot of thought beforehand, I think. The time to decide whether you will shoot to defend your (clearly innocent) buddy is NOT at 2 a.m. when he's sleeping on your couch and J. Random Home Invader and his four friends have just busted down the front door.

If I'm involved in an intervention or incident of any type, my fiancee grabs the kid and disappears if possible, she calls 911 and tells the situation, being very careful to give MY description as a good guy. The whole time I'm being extremely verbal, "I don't want to hurt you" being the stated mantra,...Don't move, I dont want to hurt you", "get your hands up, I dont want to hurt you" "grab the weapon's barrel with your other hand, I dont want to hurt you" this way everyone hears me say I don't want to hurt you, When the police do show up I'm yelling "dont shoot, watch him" over and over again untill they start giving me directions. I fully expect to be proned out, restrained and questioned, and I fully expect for them to not be gentel about it.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

DC Founder
    I think you are correct, Mike. The pendulum does in fact swing and not very predictably. I admit my reaction to a scenario may somewhat swing with my mood, but more so, it swings with the details. That says to me that there are no hard and fast rules as you suggested. Generally, I will carry to protect myself and my family, but there are some scenarios that would see me intervening. It's all in the details.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    That says to me that there are no hard and fast rules as you suggested. Generally, I will carry to protect myself and my family, but there are some scenarios that would see me intervening. It's all in the details.....
    I couldn't agree more - each situation requires it's own response.

Holdcard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links