CCW Mistaken for Criminal

This is a discussion on CCW Mistaken for Criminal within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forgive me if this has been discussed already. I have been carrying since I obtained my Michigan CPL several months ago. I have been thinking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW Mistaken for Criminal

Forgive me if this has been discussed already. I have been carrying since I obtained my Michigan CPL several months ago. I have been thinking a lot about what might happen if I ever need to draw my weapon in defense of someone else and another CCW holder mistakes me as a threat and draws on me! I suppose this could happen in a self defense situation as well. I would hope that both the other permit holder and myself would have enough crisis/tactical training to know how to react, but there are lots more people packing these days, and some may be more anxious to draw than others. Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this? What about off-duty LEO's in a similiar situation? Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

VIP Member
    Your scenario highlights why my class instructor recommended that we not become involved in situations which were not a direct threat to us. One never knows what is going on when one is "outside" of the situation.

BTW, that will be a very difficult thing to do, I expect, when one perceives that the strong are preying on the weak. An old joke:

A man hears a desperate cry for help on a darkened, near-deserted city street and turns to see a very large man beating a small man severely. The man rushes in, grabs a trash-can lid, and cold-cocks the large man from behind, knocking him out. The smaller man staggers to his feet, looks at the man on the ground, and turns shakily to his rescuer. "Thanks," he says, "he was really giving me a beating. Here, take half of the hundred dollars I just stole from him."

My CCW instructor gave us this one as an example why not to put yourself into a situation unless you know all the facts: You're walking along and you see a man dressed up in a suit in the middle of an altercation with a bum. The bum draws a gun. You go rushing in to save the day with your pistol out. Little did you know that the man in a suit is dressed so nicely because he's a drug dealer and has lots of money for fancy clothes and the "bum" is really an undercover cop making an arrest. Now you've got a gun drawn on a cop becuase you jumped into a situation where you didn't know who the players really were. Moral of the story is stay out of it unless you know all the facts. It will probably save you a lot of trouble.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yeah I think just about the only time I would ever "clear nylon" on an outside situation was if a uniformed LEO was threatened and disarmed/was in an extremely bad place. I know too many cops and have too much respect for 'em to just turn my back on one.

But, you never know what you can run into. Almost as much as a firearm, your cell phone and a call to police dispatch can be one of the most effective weapons we posses in the fight against crime.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    These kinds of mistakes are why some LEO's have been/are against CCW, and they have a point. It's also why they tell you in CCW class that your license does NOT make you an LEO or anything approaching it.

You do the "Good Samaritan" thing with a gun at your own risk.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Here's the answer........
    Attached Images
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

No badges except for Cop wannabees. My CCW is for myself or family. All other situations get a cell phone call.

badge

In my home state of Ohio They reccomend against any kind of badge
    saying you could be mistaken for impersonating an officer

-1 on badge. Still waiting on my plastic to get here, but non LEOs haveing any kind of badge spells bad news.

I think that was done in jest.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    Here's the answer........
    I would rather just get shot than carry a CCW badge....

Lightbulb Not an LEO??

If you are not an LEO, you do not have a duty to protect others.

I carry a gun to protect me and mine--and I would feel bad if something happened to you while I watched, but I feel this way--you need to protect you.

My only exceptions are lone LEOs disarmed, and children.

Go to www.stoppingpower.net to the editoral page. Read the excellent editoral 'Dangers of Intervention'.

With permission of author, I give a copy of this editoral to all of my firearms students.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Assistant Administrator
    This question is predictably a popular one - which we all are concerned about - in fact I posted similarly last year.

It has to be realized that ID'ing a bad guy is hellish hard for us and the cops too - which means anyone seen with a gun out could be a BG.

It most certainly means that peripheral involvement is often very dangerous and why for the most part we need to keep this final option in order to provide close protection of self and loved ones - in extremis.

I think the badge was (hopefully) shown in jest because they are NOT IMO in the least ''clever'' or wise to use.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It can be tough deciding not to intervene when we "think" we know what's happening.

A friend, who's a retired LEO, once told me he walked into a situation that could have gotten VERY bad in a hurry if he hadn't recognized one of the individuals. My friend was returning home one evening and decided to take a short cut through the "bad" part of town. As he drove past a parking lot, he saw a man struggling with a woman between two cars. The woman broke away and the man began chasing her between the parked autos, with the woman yelling at the top of her lungs.

The "obvious" deduction would be the woman was being attacked by the man. However, the LEO recognized the woman, and suspected things weren't what they seemed.

As he pulled his car into the parking lot, another man came from the side of a building and ran towards the woman. The first man had just caught up with them when the second man swung at the first man, knocking him to the ground. At this point, the LEO got out of his car, pulled his gun and took control of the situation.

Initially, the woman said the man had attacked her, but a search of the individuals revealed the second man had the first man's wallet, which contained several hundred dollars. The LEO called for back-up and all three individuals were taken to the police station. On further investigation, it was discovered the woman had approached the first man in the parking lot saying she had run out of gas (due to a faulty gas gauge) and asked the man if he could take her to a gas station to buy a few gallons of fuel. She even had a small gas can with her. On their return, the woman gave the man a thank you "hug" and in the process, stole his wallet. The man suspected something, a struggle ensued and the man who came to the woman's "rescue" was her boyfriend/pimp. Luckily for the victim, my friend had recognized the woman as a known hooker and con artist and the second man as a petty thief and burglar.

Things are not always what they first seem.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

In Colorado "Impersonating a Law Enforcement Officer" is a felony ... the "CCW Badge" is just a little too close to that line for me to be comfy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links