Expecting first child questions about daily carry methods

This is a discussion on Expecting first child questions about daily carry methods within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I are expecting in July. Currently I carry my g27 in a ctac usually but I also use a Miami classic when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expecting first child questions about daily carry methods

Expecting first child questions about daily carry methods

My wife and I are expecting in July. Currently I carry my g27 in a ctac usually but I also use a Miami classic when I can usually in colder months. My question is, with a baby and all that goes along with that, what kind of adjustments should I be looking forward to for carrying? Diaper bag is out as wife does not and will not get permit.

2. Remove Ads

Depending on where you carry, on your person, you may not have to make any adjustments.

Later on when the baby is a hip carrying kid you'll know the first time you get any skin caught between the firearm and the baby's butt. If/when that happens, simply move the holster forward or backwards a bit.

That is all I ever had to do after any of my kids were born.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

gun on the right side, kid on the left

Thats what I've done, but my kids are a big bigger, 6, and 2

Like Paco said, very little change, just remember to keep your strong side free. However after carrying the little one for a while you may feel that your strong and weak sides traded places. Also start practicing shooting one handed while turning your weak side away to shield the little one from the threat and muzzle blast.

Congrats mate!! We just had our first, she is 3 months now.

I carry AIWB and have not had to change a thing...about my EDC set up that is. My life? Well that's a whole nother story ;)
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

I do the same as others. I always carry my kids on my weak side. No sense in having them be uncomfortable or have them move around my rig.

Just another piece of friendly advice. If your gun is not on you, it should be in a safe. Kids are very curious and can do the most unexpected things. The last thing you would want is a tragedy that you would have to live with the rest of your life. I've taught my daughters not to touch my guns without permission, but I can't even trust them not to steal cookies at night.

Carry your BUG in the kids diaper.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Oddly enough, most parents find it natural to carry a child on the left side, due to proximity to the heart, which is comforting to the kiddo. My daughter is two now, but even when she was younger before I started carrying, I found it quite unnatural to carry her on the right, and I'm right handed. As for the diaper bag, what I can recommend is a backpack style that you can sling over a shoulder. That way there's no need to worry about carrying your young one, but you still keep your strong hand free.

Also, congratulations! Get that young one started on firearm safety as early as you can!

Oddly enough, most parents find it natural to carry a child on the left side, due to proximity to the heart, which is comforting to the kiddo. My daughter is two now, but even when she was younger before I started carrying, I found it quite unnatural to carry her on the right, and I'm right handed. As for the diaper bag, what I can recommend is a backpack style that you can sling over a shoulder. That way there's no need to worry about carrying your young one, but you still keep your strong hand free.

Also, congratulations! Get that young one started on firearm safety as early as you can!

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Just another piece of friendly advice. If your gun is not on you, it should be in a safe. Kids are very curious and can do the most unexpected things. The last thing you would want is a tragedy that you would have to live with the rest of your life. I've taught my daughters not to touch my guns without permission, but I can't even trust them not to steal cookies at night.
    Just wanted to second this post. My daughter reached for my gun yesterday while it was holstered in my waist. Again...she is 3 months
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    That diaper thing is already deadly enough. No need to make it more so.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Your biggest adjustment will be the 2 hour feedings and having the extra 'body' around to fuss and spoil over.
    Congrats Dude!

Don't worry too much about your carry habits......they won't change too much.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Your carry habits shouldn't change....mine haven't changed in 16 years....and I've got a 14 y/o and an 8 y/o. The only thing I've changed is holsters...I added leather holsters to my holster box. Why? Because I've learned to appreciate them--nothing to do with kids.

Seriously...

I will say, depending one your spouse (I say this based on your statement that she will not get her permit), SHE may be the one who might be afraid that your gun "might go off" if it is within 200 miles of the child. It's illogical, I know...but you might expect that. My only advice on this is to say "The gun has been around other kids at (the mall, stores, parks, etc)...hasn't been a problem." Like any other situation, keep it holstered and you won't have a problem.

On another note, as the child grows, have you looked at storage options? (like when the gun isn't in the holster) If you don't already have one, you may want to look into a safe (read: investment)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I have twins and I didn't change much as far as day to day carry. I cary IWB most always. My diaper bag is a Maxpedition Versapack that carries the things I might need quick, an old backpack in the car carries what I might need on a days trip, but don't need to have on me (spare clothes, extra socks, snacks, extra jackets). I have carried a BUG in the bag but I usually don't. The Versapack lets me do everything without having to put it down, but I still don't like to risk it. The BUG is a "kid resistant" S&W model 40.

I had to make most of my changes at home. I hardened their rooms by placing heavy wood bookshelves in strategic places. I added a fast-access safe to the bedside in addition to the big slow safes I already had. My advice is to forget putting stuff up high to secure it, I watched my boy climb on top of the fridge at 2 or so. They have Nerf dart guns and are learning gun safety in a fun way. My girl knows the difference between a clip and a magazine (better than some adults, no?) and both have passed a "leave a gun out and see if they touch it test". Both know that they can look at any gun in the house when they want to if they ask, and not like I'm ever on time anyway, but even if it makes us late(r) I still try to. I don't make a big deal out of carrying it daily and they don't care for now. Both know that they have their own rifles and pistols for when they're older (haven't picked out their shotguns yet...).

Let me also recommend a site called thecorneredcat dot com. Made for the ladies, but there is a LOT of useful info there on kids and their effect on the armed lifestyle. For example I never thought about how long I was head down and distracted putting them into car seats until I read an article there. I'm lucky that SWMBO is an enthusiastic shooter and more dangerous than most momma bears, seems like youre not as lucky but if you're trying to persuade the lady in your life thecorneredcat will help.

And as she just reminded me, "lucky" is relative when she adopts my favorite 1911 70 series and takes one of the ARs and changes all the stocks and furniture to OD because she likes it better than black. Haven't seen my Surefire with the strobe kit in a while either....
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    and I thought an OD pistol frame was ugly...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links