Bush: Florida crime rate down to lowest level since '71 (CCW attributed!)

This is a discussion on Bush: Florida crime rate down to lowest level since '71 (CCW attributed!) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.palmbeachpost.com/state/c...ida_Crime.html TALLAHASSEE, Fla. Florida's crime rate dropped for the 14th straight year in 2005 to its lowest mark since 1971 because of tougher laws, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush: Florida crime rate down to lowest level since '71 (CCW attributed!)

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/state/c...ida_Crime.html

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. Florida's crime rate dropped for the 14th straight year in 2005 to its lowest mark since 1971 because of tougher laws, increased financial support from the Legislature and law-abiding citizens with guns, Gov. Jeb Bush said Tuesday.

"This report shows that staying tough on crime works," said Bush. "Law abiding citizens that have guns for protection actually probably are part of the reason we have a lower crime rate."

The crime rate, compiled by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, decreased 3.7 percent from 4,855 crimes per 100,000 people in 2004 to 4,677 crimes per 100,000 people last year. The total included 881 murders, 12,230 rapes and 75,204 vehicle thefts.

In 2005, the state's law enforcement agencies reported 838,063 crimes compared to 850,490 in 2004, a 1.5 percent decrease.

Last year Bush signed a bill that allows people who feel threatened on the street, in a bar, at a ball game or just about anywhere to "meet force with force" to defend themselves without fear of being prosecuted.

"You send a real powerful signal when you know the citizen has a good potential of being armed and doesn't have to back off anymore," said John Birch, president of the Illinois-based Concealed Carry, Inc.

Opponents, however, have said the idea would legalize shootouts in the streets.

A telephone message left for comment after hours with the The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence in Washington, D.C. was not immediately returned.

Bush said he was concerned about the number of murders in the Jacksonville and Orlando areas, where there have already been 120 homicides this year.

FDLE chief Jerry Bailey said he has assigned seven agents to help Jacksonville officials with the troubling increase in murders and is working with law enforcement in central Florida on forming a task force.

The number of violent crimes in 2005 increased statewide by 1.7 percent although the rate dropped 0.6 percent and nonviolent crime decreased by 4.2 percent. Violent crimes are murder, forcible sex offenses, robbery and aggravated assault.

Reports of domestic violence were up slightly and those incidents accounted for more than a fourth of the reported violent crimes and one-fifth of all murders, according to FDLE.

"The people that commit the majority of the crimes are habitual offenders," Bush said. "They're the ones that commit a crime after crime after crime."

For the second straight year, authorities made more than one million arrests. The 1,056,121 arrests in 2005 represented a 2.6 percent increase.

Drug arrests continued to increase, going from 150,334 to 160,649. Last year they increased nearly 10 percent.

JD
    Administrator
    Wow!!! It's a miricale! Criminals are more afraid of being shot than going to jail....who would of thought? And you mean to tell me that crime went down with all those darned guns around, say it aint so...LOL don't tell the lefties.

Case Study

This needs to be a fact that shows other states and municipalities that armed citizens work.

VIP Member
    Kelly. You beat me to the post! Thanks!
    Do notice this part:

A telephone message left for comment after hours with the The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence in Washington, D.C. was not immediately returned

I bet they are working like crazy to ome up with some sort of retort.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    Someone should phone England.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    The sort of news feedback I love to hear - yet despite the intrinsic logic you can be sure Brady et al will have answers - pathetic answers!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member

I just thought it needed to be posted again
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Lead Moderator
    Wish they would put up some signs like that in my state.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Way to go FLA.

I'll NEVER understand why more people can't grasp the concept of good people taking mesures to defend themselves with the rights that they are entitled to.

I'm really looking forward to the Brady Bunch response. It would be really refreshing if they would open thier minds just a little bit and admit that there might be something more to all this "guns for self defense non-sense". You know...besides just "staying alive" and all that good stuff, it actually appears as though criminals are more reluctant to victimize someone that is prepared and equipt to defend themselves.

I hate NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    I just thought it needed to be posted again
    I am hoping we will get a sign like that if/when Jenny signs on the dotted line for us.
    Woody!
    Go prepared or dont go.

Bless & support our troops.

Good news , but one line bothered me .

Last year Bush signed a bill that allows people who feel threatened on the street, in a bar, at a ball game — or just about anywhere — to "meet force with force" to defend themselves without fear of being prosecuted.

I would seriously fear prosecution if i ever had to use my firearm , and carry at a ball game is off limits as per Fl law . I guess it wouldnt be normal if there wasnt a little spin on it .
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

VIP Member
    Actually it goes to show you how misinformed the Media Bunnies are. You cannot carry in FL in bars or sports events that are not gun related, but yet these idiots keep repeating the line that VPC put in their press releases.
    Randy Cain.

The Brady group is just so unfair they are discriminating just because Florida looks like a handgun. We should all get signs for our states. Can we petition them form each state to get one. Maybe we should pretend to be one of them, or use the "I dare" you approach. Let them piddle their money away while helping us.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

VIP Member
    What I like is that (finally) a politician is publically saying essentially, guns are ok in the hands of citizen and they help reduce crime.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I wish Ohio's Gov. would wise up.

But for now it's:

1. Someone besides family/friend in trouble observe be a good witness.

2. Retreat

3. Shoot and prepare for a civil suit
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links