Confronted in parking lot by a Drug Addict..

This is a discussion on Confronted in parking lot by a Drug Addict.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I go to a Doctors office every morning to pick up some papers to deliver, every day I am told by a particular African American ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Confronted in parking lot by a Drug Addict..

Confronted in parking lot by a Drug Addict..

I go to a Doctors office every morning to pick up some papers to deliver, every day I am told by a particular African American male whom seems like he's under the influence of drugs to, "Meet me out in the parking lot.." I simply shrug my shoulders at him and respond, "That will be the last mistake you'll ever make..". Gladly this individual has not forced me, because I do currently have I CWP and carry a .45 that I normally keep in the glove compartment. The establishment doesn't implicate anywhere that firearms are not allowed inside and I would like to be better protected from this thug scum.

I guess my question is, if I was ever approached in a hostile demeanor by this individual what would be the steps I should take in dealing with the situation without putting a hole in his kneecap?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Very good questions for a SC lawyer who specializes in firearms law. IANAL so will not opine further.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Understandable, thanks for the swift response. I am currently looking into the specifics as we speak. As I am a new carrier, I wouldn't want to make a regrettable mistake..

Make a police report...a paper trail may be your best friend for future encounters.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

IANAL either, but I don't think you can brandish a firearm or shoot someone if they are annoying you. It would be up to a jury to decide whether you were justifiably in fear for your life.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Does the office not know about this guy? Why have they not called the police to remove him?

if he hangs out in the parking lot everyday he has to be doing the same to others too. you would think the doctors office would be calling the police to have him removed

IANAL either, but I don't think you can brandish a firearm or shoot someone if they are annoying you. It would be up to a jury to decide whether you were justifiably in fear for your life.

I am sorry I didn't specify, I was merely stating in the instance that he did approach me with the intent to inflict physical harm, could I then brandish my firearm with the intent to protect myself? More specifically, if he issued another verbal threat such as the previous ones he's made like, " You're a deadman once you go out in the parking lot. " and then decides to charge me, could I drop him then? I'm obviously not going to kill the individual, just disable him long enough for the authorities to arrive and put him in jail were this person clearly belongs.

if he hangs out in the parking lot everyday he has to be doing the same to others too. you would think the doctors office would be calling the police to have him removed
    He is an employee at this Doctors office, I believe he is a receptionist's assistant, because he usually hangs out at the receptionist area and gives me bad looks and threatens me when I sign off drop-offs.. I believe he carries drop-offs to the back but the specifics of his employment are unknown to me.. I just know that I am constantly insulted by this individual nearly every day.. I think he's just thrown off by the fact that when he say's he's gonna' "beat me up" in the parking lot I immediately walk outside to said parking lot and walk slowly and normally to my car. I think he knows something's up which is good.

Pepper spray. Also, threats of this nature should be reported to the doctor's office and the police.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You need to get some documented complaints made to the appropriate people in the office. Additional record of complaint to the police wouldn't hurt either. Don't make any more comments such as "that will be the last mistake you ever make" to this guy, (at least not in the presence of witnesses). The guy may be just some flake but CYA with documentation that you have been threatened just in case he really does make a move. Be prepared.

You should also report this to your employer. I would consider taking every possible precaution by making official reports to his employer, your employer, the police, collecting witnesses, etc. if this has been an ongoing threat. A non-lethal defense such as OC spray -- if you are physically attacked -- would be a better option to defend to the DA than wounding the guy in the kneecap. Keep in mind, every bullet has a lawyer attached to it. And file a report every time he threatens you.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by OnThreeZ06 View Post
    [/U]I'm obviously not going to kill the individual, just disable him long enough for the authorities to arrive and put him in jail were this person clearly belongs.
    OK....as a new carrier, I HIGHLY recommend you get some training. Seriously. What I just quoted from you above is really ignorant of self-defense and unfortunately, is common for new carriers. You need to change your mindset--quickly. If he is a threat to your life, deadly force by you is needed.

You DON'T shoot to wound....you don't shoot the knife/gun/club out of their hand. You shoot to defend your life...you shoot to stop the threat. You aim for center of mass...and if he/she/it bleeds out as a result....well, that happens.

If you are approached in the future...tell him no thanks. Use a command voice...not screaming hysterically....Follow it up with "back away...leave me alone"

If he has a weapon and demonstrates hostile intent (continues to come toward you, says he's going to kill you, etc), then the time for talking is over....there's no wait until he's beating you rule before you can engage.

So....that said:

1 - make a police report/report to the doctor's office what is happening
    2 - get some serious training--check out the training forum here
    3 - in the mean time, do A LOT of reading here...and read up on your state's laws on use of deadly force (there is a reason why it ISN'T called use of disabling force)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Pepper spray. Also, threats of this nature should be reported to the doctor's office and the police.
    +1 on the Pepper spray and definitely notify the Doctor's office and the police about his behavior.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    OK....as a new carrier, I HIGHLY recommend you get some training. Seriously. What I just quoted from you above is really ignorant of self-defense and unfortunately, is common for new carriers. You need to change your mindset--quickly. If he is a threat to your life, deadly force by you is needed.

You DON'T shoot to wound....you don't shoot the knife/gun/club out of their hand. You shoot to defend your life...you shoot to stop the threat. You aim for center of mass...and if he/she/it bleeds out as a result....well, that happens.

If you are approached in the future...tell him no thanks. Use a command voice...not screaming hysterically....Follow it up with "back away...leave me alone"

If he has a weapon and demonstrates hostile intent (continues to come toward you, says he's going to kill you, etc), then the time for talking is over....there's no wait until he's beating you rule before you can engage.

So....that said:

1 - make a police report/report to the doctor's office what is happening
    2 - get some serious training--check out the training forum here
    3 - in the mean time, do A LOT of reading here...and read up on your state's laws on use of deadly force (there is a reason why it ISN'T called use of disabling force)
    Big +1

Get some training dude and not all confrontations need to be solved with a handgun. Get some OC and self defense training if you haven't already. We don't need to read about you after shooting some unarmed guy threatening to beat you up.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links