Ccw at work

Ccw at work

This is a discussion on Ccw at work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, merry christmas all, I am a technician for bmw and my employer asked me to not carry at work. I am a ccw permit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ccw at work

Ccw at work

Hello, merry christmas all, I am a technician for bmw and my employer asked me to not carry at work. I am a ccw permit holder, and the employe handbook states fighting is prohibited on the premise, as well as, weapons. Im in south florida can they legally stop me from carrying on the premise.

RKM
    I know in PA they can. Private property owners have the right to ask you not to. If you don't comply, they can press charges. Actually, they can press charges without any warning. If your job is worth the risk, go for it. I'm not sure about Florida though. Might be worth check a local forum about specific Florida laws.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    With some exceptions, the general rule in Florida is that an employer can't prohibit employees from having handguns in personal vehicles on the employer's parking lot. But yes, he can prohibit employees from carrying handguns otherwise.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by nick315 View Post
    Hello, merry christmas all, I am a technician for bmw and my employer asked me to not carry at work. I am a ccw permit holder, and the employe handbook states fighting is prohibited on the premise, as well as, weapons. Im in south florida can they legally stop me from carrying on the premise.
    One word: Yes!
    Lets take a scenerio: You continue to carry. You boss comes up to you and says " I told you not to carry on the premisis. You'r fired, and leave the premisis right now"
    At that point, you are commiting "armed trespass", a felony.

Now, Ask yourself this question " Whats more important to me--Having A job or carrying my gun?"

I was the asst. Environment, Health, and Safety officer for an Orlando company who's parent company was based up north. Their rules even prevented having a gun on company property (parking lot). We did not get into searching cars, although the attorney said we could if a company rule was violated or we suspect somebody of theft. Then the state passed the law allowing guns in locked cars. Violation of the weapons/fiearm rules was cause for immediate termination.
    I went a bit farther and installed a gun safe in the car as well as locking it.

If I were you, I would not carry and apoligise to whoever asked you not to carry. Jobs are too hard to come by.

VIP Member
    As I read FL law, they can not stop you from storing your gun in your vehicle on company property (parking lot). Other than the parking lot, it is private property and they can forbid you to carry. If you do so after being told not to, you can be fired with no recourse.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I too have read conflicting statements about a similar situation in Ky.

Going to Ky's web site via Handgun Law I get.

"Carrying of a concealed weapon, or ammunition, or both in a location specified in the above Bulleted item (in vehicles) By a license holder shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to disciplinary measures by the employer."

Then two paragraphs later.

237.106 "Right of employees and other persons to possess firearms in vehicles-- Employer liable for denying right-- Exceptions.

No person including, but not limited to an employer, who is the owner, lessee, or occupant of real property shall prohibit ant person who is legally entitled to possess a firearm from possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or ammunition component in a vehicle on the property."

How is a employee to take this?

Hide the weapon in your vehicle, tell no one, continue to work unarmed...I believe it's your only choice.
    Finding jobs in Florida is like finding an honest politician in D.C.
    Sir Loin likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Yes they can. You will have to leave your firearm in your car; that are you allowed to do not matter what they say.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

With jobs as hard to come by as they are, I've found that I comply even if I don't like it. My employer prohibits them on the property, even in locked cars. I park off of the property, leave the "friends" in the car, and walk over to the building. I don't like it, but I have a job, and right now that's critical as we're already down by one job in the family.

Keep it safe, and sane!

Why would you want to carry while working on cars anyway? I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be.

VIP Member
    What's legal is for them to fire you.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks guys its not that I wanted to push my luck I ordered a kimber pepper blaster I just like to know thats all

Quote Originally Posted by nick315 View Post
    Thanks guys its not that I wanted to push my luck I ordered a kimber pepper blaster I just like to know thats all
    You do know that most employers would consider that pepper spray as a weapon don't you.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I am blessed! Although I am a freelance (self-employed) maintenance mechanic my anchor company not only allows CWC, they encourage it. I suspect there is at the least 5 out of 25 people in the shop CCing at any given time.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Why would you want to carry while working on cars anyway? I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be.
    It is all a matter of what holster and position you carry at. I carry a full size Baby Eagle .40 (3# loaded) at 3:30 - 4:30 tucked IWB, all day, every day since Fall 2007.

I am a field service technician for a concrete paving company. I work on/repair everything from pickups, to 45' slipform pavers, to heavy equipment, to concrete batch plants. Crawling under, bending over, rolling around, hanging upside down, name it and I have probably been in that position.

To the OP - If company policy forbids it, and you either got made or opened your mouth that you carry, and have been requested that you don't (count your blessings that you received a warning instead of instant dismissal) then you are screwed and need to either stop or find another job. As stated earlier it is no longer a matter of just losing your job, now you face potential criminal charges if you continue and get caught.

Get a quality gun safe for your vehicle and leave it in there or stop carrying on work days.

BTW - My employer had a "No Weapons" policy, but in the last printed/issued employee handbook it was omitted, and during a discussion about the "No Weapons" policy at the last company meeting even a fixed blade knife was considered a tool unless it was used with intent. I am a mechanic. All I have with me at work are tools. Some of them are specifically designed for very specific uses.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links