NC Civilians Disarmed by Governor Again!!

NC Civilians Disarmed by Governor Again!!

This is a discussion on NC Civilians Disarmed by Governor Again!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; North Carolina Governor Bev Perdue placed the state under a State of Emergency on Christmas Day, this time because of snow. For those in NC ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NC Civilians Disarmed by Governor Again!!

3D [OP]

Angry NC Civilians Disarmed by Governor Again!!

North Carolina Governor Bev Perdue placed the state under a State of Emergency on Christmas Day, this time because of snow. For those in NC who may not know:

“NCGS § 14-288.7 clearly and unambiguously forbids the possession of any firearm off one's premises during any declared State of Emergency, with exceptions only for law enforcement and military in the course of their duties. Under NC law, whenever a State of Emergency is declared, no citizen may possess any gun outside of their home."

Man does this suck!!!

[EDIT: Is this true for any state in which a State of Emergency is proclaimed?]
    Last edited by 3D; December 27th, 2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: add question
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

These types of laws have to be shot down one by one.
    They are clearly unconstitutional.

3D [OP]
    Then there is pending litigation over exactly this issue, Bateman et al v. Perdue et al, in which Grass Roots North Carolina is a plaintiff.

In living under the shadow of selective prosecution, North Carolina gun owners now exist at the convenience and on the good graces of Queen Beverly, who has taken our right to bear arms, and turned it into a privilege.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Angry

"... the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". What part of that do you not understand Ms. Perdue ?

gdhs_2099_13118064.jpeg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

That is so ridiculous. We got 61 inches (5 feet!) of snow in the past 6 days.....no emergency here. I too would want to be armed during a state of emergency.

VIP Member
    Princess perdue loves to declare a state of emergency in hopes of getting federal money it does not matter if concealed carry is banned or not if there is some way of getting a handout she will use it. Hopefully with a new legislature this will be repealed and since the roadblock to the castle doctrine has lost her seat maybe it will pass also with enough votes to override a veto.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    That is so ridiculous. We got 61 inches (5 feet!) of snow in the past 6 days.....no emergency here. I too would want to be armed during a state of emergency.
    In my part of the state we got 4 inches. I measured it. Some emergency!

After Katrina and all the gun grabbing some States made it Illegal to disarm law abiding citisens.Texas happens to be one of them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Are we still under a state of emergency?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

I am not pleased with the law, the nanny in Raleigh, or the fact that some twit 4 hours drive from here has the presumption to tell us what constitutes an emergency. She is one cow who desperately needs to be put out to pasture! We need to repeal the idiot law rather than suffer along until it is declared unconstitutional.

Common sense, something apparently nonexistent in politicians, indicates that if you do indeed have a state of emergency, you are the only one who can provide for your safety,
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I understand the "concept" of this (It's an emergency--Stay home!), I don't agree with the principle. Laws like this exist in many states. In the unreasonable world of cat-and-mouse legalities, if banning lawful carry is overturned, then the state may just as easily pass a law forbiding leaving private property "during a state of emergency" and accomplish the same.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Not a resident of NC so I have no idea. Is this an existing statute, or something pushed through by Governor Perdue? If it was not something she pushed through, then why blame her? Granted it is a statute that sucks, but until the legislature repeals it, there is nothing she can do to get around it, short of not eclaring a state of emergency.

JMO
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Googling reveals that the statute was passed in the aftermath of the civil rights riots of the '60s. HOWEVER, there have been a couple of bills proposed that would exempt firearms and ammunition from that law, but were defeated by the dems.

That truly does smoke the crap pipe.

Here in AZ we have joined Alaska and Vermont with total constitutional carry. We have the absolute RIGHT to carry a concealed weapon for self defense (yep, spelled out that way in the wording of the law). It doesn't matter if there is a state of emergency or not. We have always had open carry, and CCW for civilians since 1992 as I remember. As a cop, I never had a permit until a couple of years before I retired, then got my nation-wide permit under HR218.

The beauty of this law is that concealed carry is no longer a privilige regulated by the state or revocable by the state UNLESS you are convicted of a crime that would make you a prohibited posessor anyway, but a true right guaranteed by law and our State Constitution.

Yes, I will keep my CCW as it is kosher even in NYC and the PRK, but man....how awesome is this? We actually have a governor and a legislature that LISTENS to the voice and the will of the people.

I hope you all over yonder can get that stupidity knocked down and get your voices heard.

When is a gun more required but during a time of emergency?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links