Pulled over by the Santa Fe Police...

This is a discussion on Pulled over by the Santa Fe Police... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a little story that happened to me about 11AM this morning. While driving down a side street, I was pulled over by the ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulled over by the Santa Fe Police...

I have a little story that happened to me about 11AM this morning.

While driving down a side street, I was pulled over by the police in Santa Fe, Texas this morning. He said my tail light was burnt. He asked to see my ID, so I gave him both my Louisiana Driver's License and my Louisiana Concealed Handgun License. He immediately asked me if I had a gun with me. I told him it was in the console of my car. I just got this handgun yesterday. Its a used Firestorm .380, exactly the same thing as a Bersa Thunder. So, the officer helps himself to it; he takes it out of my console, unloads it, then asked if I had any more firearms. Officer then tells me he'll be back in a few minutes and went to his car with my DL, CHL, and my gun. In the meantime, another officer shows up, and just stands next to my car and watches me. Never says anything; just watches me. The first officer is in his car with my handgun, unloaded it, check it out, took the slide off, put it back, playing with it, etc. He stayed in his car about 15 or 20 minutes. Then he finally comes back to me, handed me my gun, DL, and CHL and says, "Ok, I just had to check to see if it was stolen or not. Everything checks out. Thanks. Have a good day and be careful." I told him, "have a nice day" and just drove off. No incidents, no argument, no disagreement, no trouble at all.

The entire time I was TRUSTING the officer to do his job right. He was professional and courteous. A very pleasant experience.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Good for you on the stop. I don't think he had to take it apart and unless the serial numbers were located inside the gun somewhere which I seriously doubt. I'm happy for you.
    SCGunLover1

Good job Dave, glad you didn't get jacked up.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Funny how things sometimes just seem to work out like that isn't it?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Checking to see if your weapon was stolen seems to be a waste of time to me. You had ID and a CCW permit, so why the gun search? Why unload it or take it apart?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Glad the officer didn't shoot himself or someone else while messing around with your weapon. Glad it worked out so well. Now fix that blasted tail light.

On a side note, am I the only one who finds themselves being a little more observant of light bulbs, speed limits, etc since I carry? Not doing anything to draw attention if I can help it.

Other than the unloading it and taking it to the car, what's up with that?, sounds like it went well.

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    On a side note, am I the only one who finds themselves being a little more observant of light bulbs, speed limits, etc since I carry? Not doing anything to draw attention if I can help it.
    I've always taken care of the bulbs etc, however I do find myself watching my speed much closer, and I never give anyone the "California Howdy" anymore.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

I find that five minutes a week to check lighting devices saves a lot of hassle.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    He stayed in his car about 15 or 20 minutes.

I would have been seriously upset about this part. 15-20 minutes of my life waiting for the officer to finish his fishing expedition. I would have told him so.

Do what you gotta do, but do it in 5 minutes or less. A twenty minute traffic stop for a tail light out is unprofessional.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

I would have been seriously upset about this part. 15-20 minutes of my life waiting for the officer to finish his fishing expedition. I would have told him so.

Do what you gotta do, but do it in 5 minutes or less. A twenty minute traffic stop for a tail light out is unprofessional.
    He probably just wanted to get a closer look at the gun. Who knows, he could've been thinking about buying one. That's the only reason I can think of for the slide to be off the gun.

Biker

What? He didn't run the VIN to see if you stole the car? Didn't make you empty your pockets?

I'd like to know how many permit holders have been found in possession of a stolen handgun via traffic stops. Not many I'd guess.

Still, good of you to handle the situation well. Sounds like everyone was just doing their job.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

[QUOTE=BikerRN;1837740]He probably just wanted to get a closer look at the gun. Who knows, he could've been thinking about buying one. That's the only reason I can think of for the slide to be off the gun.]

IF he wants to buy one, He can go shopping & not messin with mine, HE'S A Richard Noggin
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

My first question is, how do you know he took the slide off if he was back behind you in his car? I'm assuming his car was behind yours as in a normal traffic stop, and you did say he was in his car and took the slide off. Maybe he held it up in view of the front windshield. Just the first thing that came to mind.

I agree 15-20 minutes is a bit long. I guess it takes that long to run a serial number on a gun in Texas to find out if it's stolen or not.

Besides that, glad all went well for you. So you're obviously not in Cajun Country eh?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Hand guns being checked to see if they are stolen or not seems to be common in a number of threads on this site an others, this leads me to think this is "Standard Procedure"? If you have ever purchased a gun from a private party there is a chance it could be or have been reported stolen.

I now of people buying from private partys and no fire arm transfer paper work was done (legal seller and buyer) Over the years I have also been aware of a wife or 2 selling off her soon to be ex-husband's gun's, (how did he take it did he report them stolen?)

Because of that the following web site can help determine if a gun has been reported stolen https://www.stolenweapon.com/Stolen-Gun-Home.html I am sure there are other sites simular and none are any good if no one uses them to report a stolen gun (after filing a police report) but might be helpfull.

sorry if this is to off topic.

It's too bad that LA is a must inform state. IMO, that's absolutely ridiculous that an officer has to run the serial number through to check to see if the weapon is stolen. I know it would be an absolute waste of 15-20 minutes of everyone's time if the officer ever checked my guns since they were all purchased new.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links