H.R. 990 - National Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on H.R. 990 - National Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; By Tom Kampert AZOD Staff Writer (Links provided at end) As I’ve mentioned before, H.R.990, Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement Act, has been tied up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H.R. 990 - National Concealed Carry

DC Founder

By Tom Kampert AZOD Staff Writer

(Links provided at end)

As I’ve mentioned before, H.R.990, Secure Access to Firearms Enhancement Act, has been tied up in committee since May of last year. The Bill is much like the one recently passed that gives Law Enforcement officers, current or retired, the right to carry concealed weapons nation wide, regardless of state laws to the contrary. H.R. 990 would give that same right to law abiding citizens as well.

Getting H.R. 990 passed and signed into law is actually MORE important right now than the demise of the Assault Weapons Ban. Unfortunately, few people actually know such legislation exists. I only found out about it thanks to Congressman Trent Franks who mentioned his support in a correspondence I received from him.

Ever since learning about H.R. 990 I’ve been working to make sure that it is not allowed to become just another dormant piece of legislation that ultimately dies in committee. I’ve contacted the NRA-ILA, the L.E.A.A, members of Congress and sent letters to 13 major Police Departments here in Arizona requesting their support. But, it’s not enough.

It’s not enough because one person, who keeps “bothering” the powers that be, is only a nuisance and easily ignored. What we need is a massive campaign of letter writing and phone calls to get this legislation moving. Contact you local Police Chief and remind him that many gun owners supported H.R.218 (National Concealed Carry for Police Only) and that it’s time to return the favor. Contact your Congressman and ask him to sign on as a co-sponsor. Contact the NRA and let them know that this legislation is of extreme importance to you. Contact the Law Enforcement Alliance of America (L.E.A.A.) and remind them of their promise to support national concealed carry legislation for law abiding citizens.

If you’re reading this and don’t live in Arizona…..GREAT! Do the same in your state. After all, this legislation is about NATIONAL CARRY RIGHTS.

Have a great day…and remember, the 2nd Amendment ISN”T about hunting…..AZOD

http://www.nraila.org

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.990:
    http://www.theorator.com/government/house.html

Senior Moderator
    This is the first I heard of this.

I will write my rep after I check the status
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

JD
    Administrator
    This thread isfrom almost 3 years ago...

Searching on the status now.

http://congress.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/...temp/~bd3abk::

It was introduced on 2/27/2003

Latest Major Action: 5/5/2003 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h108-990
    This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. This bill never became law.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah I just found out it died in committee in Feb 2003

I didn't even look at th OP date until just now
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Still worth writing your reps. It doesn't stand a chance with the current House leadership- but there is no reason that someone shouldn't carry the bill and let us use it against those that would kill it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

You guys may want to browse through this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...&highlight=226

HR990 is H.R. 861 and H.R. 226 in this session of congress.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

I'd prefer this bill not ever even see the light of day.

As I have said before on here, the states should handle it just as they do now. If the Federal Government ever gains control of granting us the ability to carry a gun then we are sure to loose that ability not far down the road. What the government gives, the government can take away at a moments notice.

Keep things the way they are.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

State backing/involvement

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I'd prefer this bill not ever even see the light of day.

As I have said before on here, the states should handle it just as they do now. If the Federal Government ever gains control of granting us the ability to carry a gun then we are sure to loose that ability not far down the road. What the government gives, the government can take away at a moments notice.

Keep things the way they are.
    While it's very appealing to think about having a national carry law and all the benefits that you might hope would come from that, I am inclined to agree with Mike. We've all seen how a different political party can come to power and run rampant.

However, not being that governmentally savvy, is there anyway that we could get something like this that would simplify the disparity between all the state laws we have now, without giving up the states rights. Thus if a national law were to be repealed, we would fall back to the position we have today.

Maybe that's a political unreality/pipedream. Anyone out there knowledgeable enough to pass judgement?
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I'd prefer this bill not ever even see the light of day. What the government gives, the government can take away at a moments notice.
    Yup. Decentralization of that power is a good thing. The recent track record is proof, if nothing else is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    We still dont have a national ID card or drivers licence .. take a moment and think about that . While i agree your ccw should be good nationwide i strongly feel it needs to be done as drivers licences are thro an interstate compact .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I Agree Here...

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    We still dont have a national ID card or drivers licence .. take a moment and think about that . While i agree your ccw should be good nationwide i strongly feel it needs to be done as drivers licences are thro an interstate compact .
    This makes sense...the same position as a driver's license...but not a national card!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It'd be nice, but I think I'd prefer a National reciprocity bill... Permit still issued by the states... with forced recognition nation wide via the Feds..

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspades View Post
    It'd be nice, but I think I'd prefer a National reciprocity bill... Permit still issued by the states... with forced recognition nation wide via the Feds..
    Yep, same here. It would have to be done carefully, though, with no federal stipulations on licensing requirements, so the states would still have that power. Individual state off-limits areas would have to remain, as well. Anything less would just be regulated out of existance federally.

Why should we fight for the federal government to further regulate something in which it has no mandate to be meddling?

How can the pro-2A community argue out of one side of their mouth that the NFA of '34 and the GCA of '68 are unconstitutional and should be repealed, and then out of the other side argue for the federal government to dictate rules to the states for CCW/CFP that shouldn't even be required in the first place?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links