To BUG or not to BUG? - Page 3

To BUG or not to BUG?

This is a discussion on To BUG or not to BUG? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks like a variety of Mantis....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To BUG or not to BUG?

Looks like a variety of Mantis.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I don't carry a BUG and don't think I ever will. I'm a one gun kinda guy. A G26 with a G19 spare mag is my EDC. It's what I practise with and am most comfortable. I can and do practise weak hand drills with my EDC. It took plenty of practise to become "one" with the G26. So unless I am willing to carry a BUG every day and go through the effort required for that to become natural to me, it just won't happen. I do know my own limitations!

I do carry my knife in my weak hand front pocket and a Wor-Tac Saf-T-Wrench (impact weapon) strong side rear pocket for the up close and personal moments! I strongly believe in unconventional weapons as back up to your EDC.
    Question Everything!

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I'll start from the bottom. I always have my LCP. And except for situations where I simply can't carry a bigger gun, I have one. Possibly even two. Pretty much the reasons why I do this are listed above. I certainly don't think I'll need the extra ammo per se (extra mag for each), but it's all about having the extra option instead.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I'm with BugDude on this one. I carry two pistols, but choose not to look at it as a 'BUG'; but rather as another option.

For reasons of my own, I've chosen a 442 as my other option. There have been times, where the '2nd option' becomes the 1st, depending on the scenario...

The Glock 36 is doable; though not in a traditional BUG role, as in ankle or pocket carry, or similar. It may have to be something else.

I have carried my 442 in my strong side pocket, while a G23 rode in a 5.11 holster shirt; thus making my 442 the 1st option of the day. There are so many different options and ways to effectually carry 2 pistols. The trick is to be able to deploy them into practical use.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

If I could carry, I would carry my 4" XD9 and either a LCP or LCR. Why? I could be going somewhere that a full-size pistol isn't viable, and I have had a rim rip off during training. Is that likely to happen with premium defensive ammo? No, but it shouldn't have happens with the ammo I was shooting either. Stuff happens, so I'd rather be prepared in case I need it. Assuming WI ever gets a CCW bill, that is.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Everyone is welcome to carry however they desire.

I have a question: How often have we heard of a honest, law abiding citizen (not an LEO) who actually needed more than 2-3 rounds to defend themselves? Kleck and others claim that over 90% of the time that a handgun is used for self defense, ZERO shots are fired.

The only case I've heard was some years ago down south where a citizen came to the aid of an LEO that had been shot at a courthouse.

Now I realize that some of us may have to live or travel into really, really bad areas but most of us can avoid those war zones.

Again, don't tell me what might happen, tell me where "civilians" with CCW permits have actually needed more than 2-3 shots.

FWIW, I do not carry a backup, and I do not carry extra ammo. I figure 5 rounds is enough for me and for 99.9999% of the situations.

Ken

One I can recall is a student of Tom Givens (Rangemaster), who needed a reload in a 1911 taking on three armed perps.

I agree with Ken. Although I can appreciate an active fantasy life as much as the next guy, the reality of defensive shooting is probably not what we read a lot about on these forums. Sure, it is merely possible that you could be confronted with the local chapter of Hell's Angels who have a personal vendetta for you, and you will need your primary, BUG, and of course your tactical AR15 with extra mags. I would suggest, however, that the prudent person does not concern himself with what is merely possible. Anything is merely possible.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

That's the good part, if you don't want to carry extra, you don't have to. Suit your self.

Well, if 5 rounds makes you comfy, good. I won't be the one that has to deal with it if you needed more. Two armed muggers, you miss one and hit the other twice because it's dark and you're shaking and moving trying to back away. Ah well, five rounds is enough.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Someone said to always carry two, both of the same caliber - I often carry my 1911 on the strong side and my 625 on the weak side. Some would say thats a lot of weight but I've gotten so use to them I almost forget they are there. I figure 15 rounds ought to be enough and if the 1911 fails I'll still be able get at em with my other big thumper:)
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I see no need for a bug...at least for my lifestyle. Just a civilian here, not an operator.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Talking

This is America. Carry one or carry none. Carry two, good on you. Carry three not for me. Carry four then add one more. Enough.

OK I have had way to much coffee today.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I don't carry a BUG most of the time. I think one important thing to consider is the situation. If you carry a BUG because you think you are headed into a problem, then you may need to head a different way. If you have to head that direction (say work related), then BUG.

Sometimes I BUG when I don't fully know where I'll be (for example travel). When I travel, I sometimes have three guns (primary, bug, car).

A BUG is simply a good thing to consider, if the situation warrents. I've spoken to peaple who feel that those who don't carry a BUG (or the right size caliber) are as nieve as the unarmned. As long as you carry, you have reached a fair threshold of personal responsibility. The rest is personal choice.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

All you need to do is carry one good quality gun and place your shots in the kill zone and you are good to go. Instead of fooling around with two or three guns! what for I don't know and really don't care. I know what works for me and that is what I will stick too....Enjoy!
    I trained everyday and will be ready for the day that I have to defend myself or my family!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links