To BUG or not to BUG?

This is a discussion on To BUG or not to BUG? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ken45 Everyone is welcome to carry however they desire. I have a question: How often have we heard of a honest, law ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: To BUG or not to BUG?

Quote Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
    Everyone is welcome to carry however they desire.

I have a question: How often have we heard of a honest, law abiding citizen (not an LEO) who actually needed more than 2-3 rounds to defend themselves? Kleck and others claim that over 90% of the time that a handgun is used for self defense, ZERO shots are fired.

The only case I've heard was some years ago down south where a citizen came to the aid of an LEO that had been shot at a courthouse.

Now I realize that some of us may have to live or travel into really, really bad areas but most of us can avoid those war zones.

Again, don't tell me what might happen, tell me where "civilians" with CCW permits have actually needed more than 2-3 shots.

FWIW, I do not carry a backup, and I do not carry extra ammo. I figure 5 rounds is enough for me and for 99.9999% of the situations.

Ken
    Lance Thomas
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    How come no one ever metions carryinng a BUG to give to your companion when something goes down? Two shooters are better than one.
    i disagree, to an extent, with this. unless the 2 of you train together tactically, or you both trained in identical squad tactice (LEO, same branch of military) you might do each other more harm than good. if it came down to an SD situation with me and someone else, i'd rather have them run, take cover, lay flat on the ground, etc. than try to "help" me.

Well...

Truth be told, I've been waiting for my Don Hume JIT to arrive (UPS says tomorrow!) to try the same thing myself.

Basically, I plan on having my G21sf in an OWB strongside holster, with my G30 in crossdraw (the JIT) and a spare G21 magazine behind that.

The thinking here is that I can access the BUG in the car easily or while sitting all without shifting/telegraphing. I can also access the BUG with my weakside hand using a "cavalry" draw. Additionally, the spare mag can be used by either weapon, and I'll have a total of two firearms and 40 rounds of .45acp to use if the SHTF.

I won't feel "undergunned".

I say go for it. Now if I can just get the Wife to not roll her eyes...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I read an article recenlty in "Guns & Ammo" about a guy that carries a Kimber Custom TLE II with a 5" barrel as primary weapon on strong side (IWB), a Kimber Super Carry Pro with a 4" barrel as secondary weapon on weak side (IWB), a Kimber Super Carry Ultra with a 3" barrel as his last ditch handgun (ankle carry) and a double mag carrier on weak side (OWB in front of of his secondary weapon). I know, this is WAY over the top in my opinion and highly uncomfortable, but the point is that you can carry as many guns as you want as long as you have the right holsters and belt.

Therefore, you can conceal that Glock 36 on weak side or your can get a sub-compact 1911 that will take the same magazines as the other and of the same platform.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links