To BUG or not to BUG?

To BUG or not to BUG?

This is a discussion on To BUG or not to BUG? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That is the Question. (BE ADVISED. THIS IS LONG AND RAMBLING. MOSTLY IT IS JUST CLARIFYING MY THINKING ON THE SUBJECT. UNLESS YOU NEED A ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To BUG or not to BUG?

VIP Member

To BUG or not to BUG?

That is the Question.

(BE ADVISED. THIS IS LONG AND RAMBLING. MOSTLY IT IS JUST CLARIFYING MY THINKING ON THE SUBJECT. UNLESS YOU NEED A SLEEP AID, YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP THIS!)

I was recently given a put-up-or-shut-up challenge. My stance has always been that if a person wanted to carry two, three, or a dozen handguns that was their business. However, I do not think that it is feasible for me. I carry a full-size handgun and one, occasionally two, spare magazines for it. Along with all of the other required carry items of a modern American male. A BUG has always seemed too much of a stretch, balanced against the odds of actually needing one.

The Challenge.

A buddy of mine twisted my arm and made me admit that I had never actually tried to carry a BUG for more than a couple of hours around the house. So he challenged me to carry one for a month, or until I was fully convinced one way or the other, and could express my conviction to him in absolute terms.

The Theory of the BUG.

So I started giving back up guns a lot of though lately. I immediately started to think of WHAT I would use for a BUG. I have very large hands and find the small .380’s just too small to manipulate properly in a SD situation. Then I started thinking about a J-frame revolver. This would involve the time necessary to master a platform that I have struggled with. For some reason the small revolvers and I don’t get along as well as I would like. My next though was of a small, light 9mm (Kahr, KelTec, etc.).Then I began to think about how I would carry it. That brought about thoughts of holsters, and then…. I stopped.

The Solution – Maybe.

OK, let’s think this through for a minute. What is the purpose of a back up gun? It is to be used for the same purposes as my primary when that weapon is either empty, malfunctioning, or other wise inaccessible. That is, to stop a threat of death or great bodily harm to me or another. So, my thinking is that I should have exactly what I have in my choice of primary, i.e. 4.25” 1911 in .45ACP. Well, I don’t have another of those handy, and I don’t really want to spend the money to buy another right now. Even if I did, it is largish. What I do have though, is a Glock 36 in .45ACP. Hmmm ….

A G36 might be a little large for ankle carry. Not a problem. I already ruled that out as being to slow to access except from a seated position. It could be pocket carried only in a cargo pocket, but that is an option. Weak-side belt seemed to be the best location to carry it.

Now, can it be done with reasonable ease and comfort? We shall see.

Please feel free to comment, criticize, or suggest.

RR71
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

When I feel the need for a BUG, I carry a mirror of my primary (fullsize) off side belt.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

For me, no BUG. I absolutly think it has merit. I get it!! But, I don't want to carry everything but the kitchen sink.
    I stop at carrying my Glock 23 w/ 1 or 2 magazines & a CRKT M16 knife. At night, I carry a Surefire G2 flashlight. Along with my martial arts training, the BG is going to have quite the tussle on their hands.
    If it's my time to go then so be it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    When I feel the need for a BUG, I carry a mirror of my primary (fullsize) off side belt.
    Exactly my thinking. If I had another Colt I would have to at least give it a try. I don't, so it is the G36 instead.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Cool

P18163004.jpg

I do carry a BUG in the form of a Diamondback .380. It fits under my outer ballistic vest and is easy to access there. I use to carry a S&W 638 but my wife took that from me when she got her CCW. I have to admit I am thinking about getting a J-Frame airweight and going back to the .38 spl. as my on duty BUG.

Off duty the DB fits into a pocket inside a High Noon Pocket Grabber on the off side from my G-23 and that will most likely be it's place once replaced by the .38 spl. on duty.

P18162748.jpg
    P19170917.jpg

The thought of carrying two identical primaries like Guantes talked about has crossed my mind...... my G-23 strong side and my G-19 or G-36 off side.

P26100833.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I think of it more as a "Secondary Access" weapon rather than a Back-Up gun. For me, the S&W 442 fits the bill perfectly. I can carry it in my left front pocket and shoot it with my left (weak) hand with no problem. I can also carry it in a jacket pocket in the winter and have my hand on it as I walk with my primary under the coat. It can also be fired from inside a coat pocket multiple times. As a secondary, I like the revolver because in close contact it can't be taken out of battery. Lets say I'm pinned against a wall or the ground on my right side...can't get to my XD40sc IWB right side. The revolver can be deployed weak handed in close contact and pushed into the agressor. I also like the reliability of the revolver in this role. The airweight is less noticable in my pocket than my keys. Carried in tandem with a high capacity semi-auto, it is the best of both worlds for me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Does a LCR on the hip with 20 additional rounds and a 12 guage in the trunk count...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

A little long but no problem. Talking a problem/question out helps. Thinking why do I want to carry a BUG. Main reason for me is not that I have run out of ammo (if 18+17 can't handle it I'm in bigger trouble than I need) but I've had a malfunction I can't resolve. With this in mind, I'm thinking same caliber and if the mags were interchangeable that would be even better. A pair of Glocks or something like Ruger SR9 and SR9C.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Two is one......one is none.

I like a .380 Kel Tec or LCP for that role. Weak side pocket carry is prefered mode of carry.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I carry a BUG for a variety of reasons.

(1) Back-up gun.
    (2) As a gun accessible to my weak side hand in case my primary hand is otherwise tied up or injured.
    (3) In case I have a malfunction or stoppage with my primary weapon.
    (4) As a way to arm an otherwise known good guy who is not carrying if needed.
    (5) lastly as a quicker way to a reload (in some circumstances).

There are probably several more reasons to carry a BUG, however those five seem to be logical and the dominating reasons most people offer. I think we all know and understand these reasons and logic. So the bottom line is are you willing to rise to that level of preparedness, or are you content with what you have with a single handgun and maybe a spare reload or two. Or no reloads.

Many people choose their wardrobe and fashion sense over protection and security. Still others find it too uncomfortable to maintain a higher level of preparedness. And for some, they simply crunch the numbers and figure the likelihood of them ever needing a second gun is slim. It is totally up to the individual to prioritize what is important in their life and live with that decision. In the end you have no one to blame but yourself for the decisions you make or any regrets if something truly bad happens.

There are plenty of times in which I only carry one gun and one or two reloads. However, I am a full time gun carrier. I'm not wishy-washy about only carrying a gun when I think I'll need one. If I'm out in public, I have at least one gun on me at all times (unless I'm at a place which prohibits it by law, which is very rare). Generally, I carry a BUG which is to say about 80% of the time. Sometimes three guns, but probably around 10% of the time.

Again, the reasons for a BUG is valid and undisputed. It's merely a matter of at what level of preparation do you feel comfortable.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

mkh
    How come no one ever metions carryinng a BUG to give to your companion when something goes down? Two shooters are better than one.

Again, the reasons for a BUG is valid and undisputed. It's merely a matter of at what level of preparation do you feel comfortable.
    Although I have, for reasons of my own in the past, carried a BUG. I truly think the common carrier should depend more on their skill with primary and/or spare magazines (ammo).....than stringing themselves out with different scenarios, and 'last-ditch' efforts. Keep it simple is my philosophy. You can only take one enemy at a time.....you'll be on your own, doing the best you can. A BUG might save you, but in essence.....deploying a BUG means you are already down a few points. A BUG has also saved many in times of despair. Never depend on a BUG....depend on your primary. Transitioning to your BUG when things haven't worked out as expected demands more practice and training than what the average CCer will ever do.

VIP Member
    When I think BUG I think "last ditch". More than likely I'll be in a fight for my life and for whatever reason my primary weapon isn't available. It probably will be a physical confrontation where I believe I'm about to be killed or seriously injured by the attacker.
    I carry my BUG on my off hand side, a S&W M&P 340 .357 and I carry it more often as I get older and less physically able.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Two of the main reasons I carried a BUG were for "Onion Field" scenarios and gun grabs. Admittedly, that was as cop.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    How come no one ever metions carryinng a BUG to give to your companion when something goes down? Two shooters are better than one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I carry a BUG for a variety of reasons.

(4) As a way to arm an otherwise known good guy who is not carrying if needed.

I just did, you must not have been reading closely.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links