How often do you clean your carry piece?

This is a discussion on How often do you clean your carry piece? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My primary carry piece is a Springfield Armory 1911A1 GI45. I've put maybe 200 rounds through it so far, and I feel comfortable with carrying ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often do you clean your carry piece?

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

My primary carry piece is a Springfield Armory 1911A1 GI45. I've put maybe 200 rounds through it so far, and I feel comfortable with carrying it. I was wondering how often I should clean it after carrying it around so often. I live in a low humid area, so rust shouldn't be a problem. Should I change out the ammo every once in a while, and put fresh oil on all metal parts, or should I just clean it after every range trip (Which I do anyway).

Whenever I shoot it. Normal carrying it shouldn't matter much. It is the internal parts that matter most. If it gets wet (rain, snow, mud) I'd clean it.

I have a single shot 20 ga I haven't cleaned since I was 13 (I'm 25) and there is not a bit of rust or anything on it. Every couple of years I ran a wet patch down the barrel once and put some lube on the action, worked it 4-5 times, and left it.

I wouldn't worry about changing ammo too much. I usually shoot my carry ammo every month or two.

How rude of me!! Welcome to Combat Carry.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I live in a summer high humidity/winter very low humidity area.
    I prefer stainless in the summer. Just wipe it down.
    When I shoot it, I run a patch down the pipe, lube a few points if a semi, then wipe and return to holster.
    In the winter, I'll carry my blued lil' colt mustang. I really want to keep that pistol its original beautiful blueing. I'll put a patch thru the tube, lube, and wipe with tender loving care

I have a Glock 27 and run about 100 rounds a week through it. I clean it thoroughly after every range trip. In fact just got back and just finished cleaning it. I also carry it everyday.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

oil doctors tires politics ,and when do i clean my gun.
    your asking one of the do not ask questions .

but here's what i do, i'm not saying it's the only way , i don't care how anyone else does it , and don't care if it's right . but it fits me and my style of doing things . it's a mix of what i've been taught picked up or found out on my own .

by the way i carry a springfield 1911A1 mil spec

after a trip to the range, 500 rounds or less dissasemble and clean . lube reinstall fire off a clip , wipe down and holster it . it's somewhat clean and i know it works after having put it back together .

monthly: fire off the carry ammo replenish said ammo wipe down and go .

after 1000 rounds dissasemble firing pin and extracter clean lube reassemble fire off a clip refill wipe down and go .

2 weekends ago i hauled hay wearing my pistol and a cover shirt on a 97F day, yes it was hot duh, and we sweated , so i cleaned hay out of her lubed her wiped her down fired of a mag reloaded reholstered her .

last weekend stray tom took some fire holstered it good to go .

she's a tool keep your tool in good working order ,as needed . any way i see it as raising kids , a little of what i read or was told or showed mixed it up out came the way i do it . and you can't tell me i'm doing it wrong and i wouldn't try to tell you .

lol

good luck and good choice
    elance

It's low humidity here both winter and summer (Alaska), so I suppose the only way I'd have to worry about cleaning it is if, I get snow or rain on it. Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

While deployed, I made it a point to inspect my service piece daily. Ensures a clear bore.

Cleaning was done when inspection required it.
    Team WTFDTSG?

***** happens, it becomes the past. Live with it, learn from it and get on with it.

A dirty weapon is a Mortal Sin.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Spyder welcome aboard
    I carry a Glock. It gets cleaned after every range trip. I wipe down the outside before putting it away for the night. I also shoot up my carry ammo every six months.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Welcome from Missouri. I clean my weapons on the same day after going to the range. I like my weapons to look like new.

One a week just to clean out the fuzz and any other grit that might have appeared

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Naturally every time I shoot it + I have a calander in my reloading room that is marked for every two weeks. My carry weapon(Kimber CDP) is disassembled,wiped down with a a little WD-40 on a rag(old t-shirts) and re greased with a tiny ammount of Tetra-Gun on a Q-tip. During this down time I check for proper function also.

My P-3AT that is dropped into my pocket once or twice a week or so is given this same goin' over. I feel that any firearm that is carried in the pocket is subject to more lint,dirt,and other foreign objects than a one that is carried high on the belt.

This "system" has worked for me. --------

Clean every time I shoot them. When I get home & put every thing away i clean every thing shot. Sometimes that is quit a few. When Mom & the wife go, I can easily have 5 to clean & sometimes more. There have been a few time I have cleaned everyones carry weapon & let the others go until tomorrow. NOT OFTEN. I actually heard of one gentleman that cleans his carry weapon before leaving the range.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Welcome aboard Spyderdude!. I clean mine after every range session and inspect a minimum of once per week to insure everything is in working order. I always end my range sessions with shooting a full clip of my carry ammo as a minimum so I am refreshing carry ammo on a regular basis. This has worked well for me in 15 years of CCW.
    I see you are in Alaska. Spent 3 years in Fairbanks and 1 in Galena. Still have friends in the Fairbanks area. Safe Shooting and God Bless!.
    USAF Retired

Well, I personally don't carry any of my firearms in my pockets, mainly because none of them are suitable for pocket carry. I use proper holsters for every one of them, except my Hi-Point 9mm, which is my plinking gun. Speaking of taking care of weapons, I have to probably re-oil my Samurai Swords (Yes I also have swords too LOL!)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links