Drinking while Carrying

This is a discussion on Drinking while Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't carry and drink. If I'm carrying and decide to go into a bar, I will secure my firearm first. Period....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking while Carrying

I don't carry and drink. If I'm carrying and decide to go into a bar, I will secure my firearm first. Period.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

2. Remove Ads

Janq don't get me wrong, Driving while intoxicated is a serious thing not to be taken lightly! I ere on the side of cation every time. After one drink I could not even feel a thing. Not happy, not dizzy, not anything. But yet I waited 2 hours before re-arming and 3 hours before driving home.
    I agree with everything you were saying.

Every other Friday when I hit Lone Star for a Steak I will have 1 small glass of Draft Beer with my meal. That is about the extent of my drinking. Except for my 3 pots of Coffee a day.--------Larry

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    IMHO, I think one to two drinks would not hurt, however did any of you ever take an NRA course where they stated Booze and Guns do not mix, that is just my opinion.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    IMHO, I think one to two drinks would not hurt, however did any of you ever take an NRA course where they stated Booze and Guns do not mix, that is just my opinion.
    I think that mostly pertains to gettin hammered and shooting cans and stuff with your buddies. I think its all about responsibility. If i go out to dinner or have a beer at a buddies house, im always armed. But, my firearm is always concealed and i wont be taking it out to play around with it.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Janq has it right. The part of the brain affected first, and the most, by alcohol is the part most needed for self defensel and for making correctly the split second decisions that being armed can require. And it's affected whether you think so (or "feel it") or not. It's been proven over and over and over.

Drinking and carrying, driving a car or boat, operating heavy machinery or power tools, or any other activity requiring the cerebral cortex are mutually exclusive IMO. The "legal limit" is not a threshold of effect, it's a convenience for law enforcement - makes it easy to get a conviction. Legal limits aren't even uniform across the country, and they have in some cases been adjusted down in recent years.

One other thought, how many times have we read stories on here about folks who get themselves killed doing something relatively innocent (like sitting on a friends back patio with a hose nozzle babbling at the lights and pretending to water the lawn) just because they were drunk and unable to respond as others thought they should? To get drunk is to put your welfare into the hands of any random member of society you encounter. Some people choose to do that, some don't.

Anyway, I made the choice to not drink alcoholic beverages 30+ years ago and haven't regretted it even once since. Not drinking lead to participation in other activities that turned out to be a whole lot more fun than drinking. And that's still the situation. I can't think of anything I'd enjoy doing more, or that I'd do better, with a drink than with out one. Not one thing. So why drink? I can't think of a single rational reason to do so. YMMV

Trust me on this, it's OK to not drink.

Fitch

On New Years Eve = Drinking and Driving is a family traditions.

Just kidding stay sober, safe and alert.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

If you ever think that something has the possibility of impairing your judgment while carrying, then I'd say don't do it. In your own castle, I'd say things should be more simple. Out in public, raises your risks. Minimizing your risks is actually part of concealed carry, not the other way around. Play things smart, and you should never be in doubt. Either way, you should live life and continue to enjoy those things that make you happy since you're still somewhat free to do so. Carrying a weapon should still change your life dramatically and in many ways. It's our responsibility to remain focused on the most important aspects of that and why we've chosen to do those things we have. Life is all about choices actually. Most answers to your questions lie within you.

Cool

In my opinion it is best not to drink and carry. That said if you do and have to use deadly force make sure it is a good shoot.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    I gave up drinking several years ago and I canít imagine carrying while drunk but Iím sure Iíve done it in the past. Age does give you perspective, and Iím pretty sure itís a bad idea.
    ďMonsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.Ē
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Should make a game of it. Drink until you see 3 of everything, then try to hit the "real" one... no friends, or pets, please.

Srsly though, while I agree that booze and guns don't mix, 1 drink (or approximately 1 per hour) should be a non issue as long as you keep 2 things in mind;

1) you are armed, and will be held to a higher standard should god forbid you have to use it, and
    2) one easily leads to 2 and 3 and if you are of the personality type that doesn't stop at 1, maybe you should disarm.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    I have a very simple solution... I never drink when carrying. Say what you want to, it's still the best way to avoid all kinds of problems. :wink"
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I gave up drinking several years ago and I can’t imagine carrying while drunk but I’m sure I’ve done it in the past. Age does give you perspective, and I’m pretty sure it’s a bad idea.
    Just so we are clear, I am talking about a drink or two... I should hope that carrying while drunk should be a no brainer for every person that carries...law or no law, that is common sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    Just so we are clear, I am talking about a drink or two... I should hope that carrying while drunk should be a no brainer for every person that carries...law or no law, that is common sense...
    Exactly. Common sense. I know where you were coming from.

VIP Member
    There is a legal definition of intoxication for concealed carry:

SUBCHAPTER H. LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN

Sec. 411.171. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:

(1) "Action" means single action, revolver, or semi-automatic action.

(2) "Chemically dependent person" means a person who frequently or repeatedly becomes intoxicated by excessive indulgence in alcohol or uses controlled substances or dangerous drugs so as to acquire a fixed habit and an involuntary tendency to become intoxicated or use those substances as often as the opportunity is presented.

(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

(4) "Convicted" means an adjudication of guilt or, except as provided in Section 411.1711, an order of deferred adjudication entered against a person by a court of competent jurisdiction whether or not the imposition of the sentence is subsequently probated and the person is discharged from community supervision. The term does not include an adjudication of guilt or an order of deferred adjudication that has been subsequently:

(A) expunged;

(B) pardoned under the authority of a state or federal official; or

(C) otherwise vacated, set aside, annulled, invalidated, voided, or sealed under any state or federal law.

(4-a) "Federal judge" means:

(A) a judge of a United States court of appeals;

(B) a judge of a United States district court;

(C) a judge of a United States bankruptcy court; or

(D) a magistrate judge of a United States district court.

(4-b) "State judge" means:

(A) the judge of an appellate court, a district court, or a county court at law of this state;

(B) an associate judge appointed under Chapter 201, Family Code; or

(C) a justice of the peace.

(5) "Handgun" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.01, Penal Code.

(6) "Intoxicated" has the meaning assigned by Section 49.01, Penal Code.

(7) "Qualified handgun instructor" means a person who is certified to instruct in the use of handguns by the department.
    Here's the section from 49.01:

PENAL CODE

TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS

CHAPTER 49. INTOXICATION AND ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE OFFENSES

Sec. 49.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(1) "Alcohol concentration" means the number of grams of alcohol per:

(A) 210 liters of breath;

(B) 100 milliliters of blood; or

(C) 67 milliliters of urine.

(2) "Intoxicated" means:

(A) not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or

(B) having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.
    Now if you have a drink or two at home and then later shoot an intruder during a home invasion, you should be fine. In Texas, if you have to use deadly force and are justified, you are immune from civil suits...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links