Drinking while Carrying - Page 4

Drinking while Carrying

This is a discussion on Drinking while Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Under FL law, I am allowed to drink while carrying. (Common sense insists I don't.) The same level (.08) as DUI applies to CC limits, ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Drinking while Carrying

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Under FL law, I am allowed to drink while carrying. (Common sense insists I don't.) The same level (.08) as DUI applies to CC limits, and it is illegal to "use" a firearm while intoxicated--"use" being defined as "in hand," not on the person--except in the exemption of legitimate self defense.

I don't care to test the law or its interpretation, so--for me--it's one or another, not both. Personally, drunk or not, you have a legitimate right to self defense under any circumstances.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Administrator
    I heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    How many threads do we need on drinking and carrying?

Cool

Would you want your law-enforcement officers to have just one or two drinks while on duty ? I am sorry boys and girls but this should be a no brainer. Alcohol....no guns. Guns....no alcohol. K.I.S.S. Just my $.02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Administrator
    Let's rephrase that question. If your elderly Mom was at home alone and called 911 to report a home invasion and her front door just crashed in would you want the closest officers just around the corner NOT TO BOTHER RESPONDING because they just went off duty and had a beer with their supper?

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Would you want your law-enforcement officers to have just one or two drinks while on duty ? I am sorry boys and girls but this should be a no brainer. Alcohol....no guns. Guns....no alcohol. K.I.S.S. Just my $.02.
    Ya see...there's always more than one way to ask a question.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Let's rephrase that question. If your elderly Mom was at home and called 911 to report a home invasion and her front door just crashed in would you want the closest officer just around the corner NOT TO BOTHER RESPONDING because he just went off duty and had a beer with his supper?

Exigent Circumstances......... You are saying the officer was "off duty" as in his shift had ended and he is now home listening to his "police scanner" and hears the call and responds. My original question was do you want your on duty law-enforcement officers to have just one or two drinks... and your answer to that question QK is............
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Would you hire anyone who drinks on the job? I wouldn't.

Michael

If a person is not under the influence there should be no problem. If a cop is drinking on the job fire him. If a cop has had a few after work and is not impaired its none of my business if he has a gun.

Michael

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Slowly drifting off into the sunset here. The OP's question was self-defense after having a drink while CC'ing. nothing to do whatsoever with LEOs--on or off duty.

About face! Forward ... March!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Slowly drifting off into the sunset here. The OP's question was self-defense after having a drink while CC'ing. nothing to do whatsoever with LEOs--on or off duty.

About face! Forward ... March!

Thanks I needed that.

Michael

There is a huge difference between having a glass of wine,a beer,or a mixed drink,or getting plastered while armed.I saw a guy mowing his yard on a riding mower with an open carry gun and a beer in his hand,and it is totally legal.If you stayed home and had a few beers watching the game and somebody kicks your door in,the last thing on your mind should be "Am I Too Drunk To Shoot",STOP THE THREAT
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

3D
    In a deadly threat situation, what degree of impairment is OK with you? For me it's zero.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    If the name of the game is 100% all-the-time self-defense, then I guess you'd never drink (or walk within 20 feet of people you dont know) or do anything at all to compromise your edge .

Whether you're carrying a gun or not.

So....if SD is that important to you 24/7, you'd carry 24/7 and never drink.

But you cant carry 24/7 (in most states). And a gun isnt the solution to every SD situation.
    We all make decisions...compromises....every day on what's ok, what's safe, if our location/business/errand/fun is riskier than others....

To me...who makes those decisions all the time....they're not necessarily based around my firearm.

It's a balance in life. Each makes their own choices.
    I agree, SD is always a compromise, if it wasn't we would all be holed up in cement bunkers, with land mines and barbed wire. We would get all our food delivered, and hire a securirty team to screen the delivery driver. Meanwhile we would provide cover with our assault rifles.

Most of us cannot, or do not want to go to that extreme so we strap on a hand gun we can conceal, take a deep breath and step outside.

Administrator
    So...I have to answer your question while you dodge my question by just saying - "Exigent Circumstances" So I can take that to mean that if a group of LEOs were sitting in a restaurant 2 doors down from your Moms home and they all just had a beer with their dinner & a distress call came onto the radio regarding a home invasion at Moms house....you would just want them to sit there - ignore the call - not respond and order another slice of apple pie for dessert because they all had a beer.

Alcohol....no guns. Guns....no alcohol. - No exceptions right?

If your elderly Mom was at home and called 911 to report a home invasion and her front door just crashed in would you want the closest officer just around the corner NOT TO BOTHER RESPONDING because he just went off duty and had a beer with his supper?

And YOUR answer...Yes or No?

Exigent Circumstances......... You are saying the officer was "off duty" as in his shift had ended and he is now home listening to his "police scanner" and hears the call and responds. My original question was do you want your on duty law-enforcement officers to have just one or two drinks... and your answer to that question QK is............

I think that applies to any employer's thoughts....for a number of reasons.

Impairment is impairment....only you know how it affects you. If self-defense is your top priority in all situations, then it has nothing to do with guns really.

It's the law that emphasizes guns (& cars) in such situations. The reality however, is state of mind, not machinery.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Let's rephrase that question. If your elderly Mom was at home alone and called 911 to report a home invasion and her front door just crashed in would you want the closest officers just around the corner NOT TO BOTHER RESPONDING because they just went off duty and had a beer with their supper?

I see your point, however if there was a dead person at the end of that encounter, that officer most certainly would be held accountable for that drink. It would be *considered* in the final outcome of a police review board and also by dead person's relatives itching for a civil suit. Whether it was a deciding factor in the end is unknown but it would be added to overall evidence in that situation.

(No good deed goes unpunished)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links