Drinking while Carrying

This is a discussion on Drinking while Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m How many of you here who say never to alcohol and guns, drive home after having a drink with your dinner? ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Drinking while Carrying

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    How many of you here who say never to alcohol and guns, drive home after having a drink with your dinner? Or one beer with friends?

Michael
    Not I.

2. Remove Ads

It is very hard to separate the anti-alcohol crowd here from the no booze and guns together idea.

They are prohibitionists at heart and would ban alcohol consumption for everyone if they could. It has nothing to do with having/carrying or using a firearm for self defense. They cannot link the one with the other through any rational or documented case and they therefore revert to hocus pocus arguments.

If you are an adult you must behave like an adult whether you consume adult beverages or not. If you cannot continue to behave like an adult if you consume such beverages then stay away from them and please leave the rest of us alone.

My right to protect myself does not stop because I have consumed an adult beverage.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    It is very hard to separate the anti-alcohol crowd here from the no booze and guns together idea.

They are prohibitionists at heart and would ban alcohol consumption for everyone if they could. It has nothing to do with having/carrying or using a firearm for self defense. They cannot link the one with the other through any rational or documented case and they therefore revert to hocus pocus arguments.

If you are an adult you must behave like an adult whether you consume adult beverages or not. If you cannot continue to behave like an adult if you consume such beverages then stay away from them and please leave the rest of us alone.

My right to protect myself does not stop because I have consumed an adult beverage.

Ken
    I can see there are some conflicts here. I don't drink much, but don't see a problem with those that do. I don't do drugs, but think some of them should be legal that aren't currently. What I DO have a problem with is people behaving irresponsibly, especially when it is likely to reflect badly on another group that I am a member of.

Here in VA you can carry (even in a bar) but if you take one drink you commited a class 1, I think it is a good rule over all, I do not drink and carry that is me, everone knows who they are and what thier limits are or should be. If it feels bad or wrong, or if you feel like you are pushing your luck re think and be safe.

They use the same logic that the anti-gun folks use. That no one can control themselves. That no one can drink one drink and stop and no one can have a gun without murdering someone. Now if a person realizes that they have a problem and choose to limit themselves I respect them for it. I do worry when reading subjects such as this that the what is reasonable for me should also apply to others idea. If you choose to have a drink and then drive home or carry a weapon it does not bother me.

Michael

I wont drink at all while carrying off my property.
    On my property I distinguish between having a drink or 2 and DRINKING. I am usually always armed on my property. That includes Friday or Saturday nights around the fire out back having a drink or 2. But if I will be Drinking (meaning several+) I will disarm and have the pistol in it's normal (if not carrying at home) hiding place. Much like what has been said in the pages above, I am an adult and responsible so I treat myself that way.
    Are others armed and drinking at my home? I am not always sure, but when I am sure and feel that they are about to have 1 too many for my liking I remedy the situation.

Sled

I never drink when I carry outside the home.

Quote Originally Posted by janq View Post
    p.s.
    As an adult i am able to turn down offers of what ever by people. This is my choice and ability.
    I would tell such friend no thanks i'm not up for a drink right now, but hey pour some for me in a container that i can seal for the drive home and i'll let you know how it is later/tomorrow once i try after my drive home.
    We folk aged 21 and older can get alcohol any time anywhere when ever we want. This should not be an item of any regard.

Myself i do not drink and carry.
    If i plan/expect to drink, then i do not carry...nor drive.
    If i plan to carry, or drive, then i do not choose to drink.
    I go to bars and other places that serve alcohol & liquor very often including tonight to see a movie that serves beer, wine and champagne too.
    I choose to buy popcorn alone and walked right on past the alcohol offerings...as i was my own designated driver, and i was carrying a firearm too.
    Big boy rules.
    ditto !!

Simple for me... If I am packing, then I am NOT drinking...period.

ThumperACC

This can go on forever. Mainly because some people want to do stupid things and don't like other people telling them that they can't. I taught school for two decades and I lived with this every day. Not just pupils but parents too. I also spent 30 years in the USMC on active duty, ditto for experiences with people.

The argument that when you carry you are the only person involved is false, just as is the argument that how you drive only involves you. If and when you draw and fire a weapon, there will be other people present, many of whom have done nothing to hurt you. The chances are statistically sound that , even under the best of circumstances, you are likely to hit one or more of them in the course of trying to get the BG. Why would anyone want to increase the chance of tragedy by impairing their abilities?

I have been drinking for over 50 years and can hold my liquor pretty well. I outlasted most of my buddies when on liberty. I drink. I carry. I don’t drink and carry. I base this on experience not morality. I have wrecked two cars , each after two drinks. I have nearly shot off my foot with a .380 in my living room after two drinks. You don't have to be drunk to be stupid , just loose. Two drinks will get most of us loose.

When somebody tells me they can drink and not have it affect them, I know I am talking to somebody who not aware of what they look like and talk like after two drinks. They are also not too far away from an AA meeting. Knowing how drink affects you and not knowing is one of the first indicators of possible substance abuse. After my second incident with an automobile, I went into serious reflection and recognized what alcohol does to my senses, Probably has saved me from ever being an alcoholic or having to go to AA.

I still party (lightly) occasionally, but I know that the payoff is that I shouldn't do anything requiring a clear head and good reactions. Somebody else drives and I am not packing heat.

Drinking is a voluntary thing, you don't have to drink. Pick the activities that go together. This isn't an infringement of your rights. This is just exercising good sense.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

My philosophy is this, I like to drink but I do my drinking at home and I stay there so CUI is not an issue for me. I am of the opinion that one should always be armed so I would never recommend somebody go unarmed due to having some drinks but as others have said it is just a matter of exercising good judgement, if you go out with the intent of getting slaughtered at the party, bar or club then it's probably a good idea to leave your weapon and your vehicle at home. Here in UT we have laws about CUI and I believe the limits are in line with DUI.
    "Change that you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun"
    WWW.MOLONLABEGUNFORUM.COM

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I have been drinking for over 50 years and can hold my liquor pretty well. I outlasted most of my buddies when on liberty. I drink. I carry. I don’t drink and carry. I base this on experience not morality. I have wrecked two cars , each after two drinks. I have nearly shot off my foot with a .380 in my living room after two drinks. You don't have to be drunk to be stupid , just loose. Two drinks will get most of us loose.
    Apparently you don't handle your alcohol very well if you have had two wrecks and nearly shot yourself after two drinks. I would agree that you don't need to do anything but sit in the easy chair while drinking.

And as far as not having to be drunk or loose or whatever to be stupid, your absolutely right. Folks who are stone cold sober and are just generally stupid or uncoordinated or whatever have negligent discharges all the time, they have auto accidents all the time, simply because they are stupid or uncoordinated or simply don't pay attention to what they are doing. Whats the saying, you can't fix stupid. So does that mean that those people should not be allowed to drive or handle guns or other dangerous things because they lack the ability to function with any degree of proficiency when sober? If everyone can agree with that I will gladly leave my gun at home when I have a beer with dinner.

BTW, who is going to decide which people aren't coordinated enough to have guns or drive even when sober?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

"Apparently you don't handle your alcohol very well if you have had two wrecks and nearly shot yourself after two drinks. I would agree that you don't need to do anything but sit in the easy chair while drinking. "

Point is that I now do know better. Also I am sorry I am the only one that has a system affected by alcohol. I may have to go over to a human forum, instead of talking among the supermen.

I am pro-gun and even like a drink now and then, so I am not a anti- anything. But if anybody ever shoots me or mine by "accident" during a shootout, LEO or civilian, and they find alcohol on their breath, I will see that they are prosecuted to the limit. They made a voluntary choice and chose to be impaired and hurt us. If that is the attitude of an NRA member and holder of a HCP, what do you think is going to be the attitude of an anti-gun victim?
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

So if they shoot you or yours by "accident" and don't have alcohol on their breath does that mean that your not going to see they are prosecuted to the full exent of the law? Are you going to tell the DA, that hey they just made a bad shot by accident, no hard feelings I don't want to pursue anything because they are sober?

Give me a break, if someone shoots a family member or yourself because of a bad shot aimed at someone else, your going to go after them whether there is alcohol or not. Bad argument to make against alcohol no matter who you are.

There is nothing "supermen" about being responsible. Like I said before, some folks aren't responsible even stone cold sober, and some folks don't become instantly stupid after a beer.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links