Drinking while Carrying

This is a discussion on Drinking while Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tonight, while at a friends house, I was told i should try this new kind of rum he had. Normally, I DO NOT drink while ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking while Carrying

Drinking while Carrying

Tonight, while at a friends house, I was told i should try this new kind of rum he had. Normally, I DO NOT drink while I am armed.

This is my thought;
    In Texas, there is no 'legal limit' for blood alcohol level as far as concealed carry is concerned. But, if someone were to break in shooting or whatever scenario you want to imagine were to actually happen...and I was to draw and shoot and a suit was filed against me, I feel like the fact that "you had been drinking that night" could be used to seriously undermine the judges perception of your judgement in the situation.
    All is to say that I went to the car and locked it up and went in and had one small drink. After and hour or two I went out and geared back up.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Break into your home? In TX?
    So you have a few...someone broke into your home...you ended their career...now what? I say, TX will probably give you some kind of reward. I know that you'll become a spokes person for Uncle Ted.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It is your call to make.

You are correct that there is no legal limit of intoxication for concealed carry. It is if you are intoxicated. For some people that might be .01, for some it might be .1, it depends on the individual.

Tomorrow night I will be carrying all night. I will most likely have a beer or two or three, whatever, I will be in my home, most likely in the back yard around the fire pit. If someone breaks in or some other scenario happens that requires I use my gun to protect myself, my family or my friends that are at my house, having had a beer is not going to enter into the formula.

Granted, I will be at my home, but then again, when I go out to dinner or whatever the way the Texas statutes read doesn't stop me from having a beer with dinner at times.

It is your call, you know what gets you intoxicated better than anyone else.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

When I carry I do not drink or go to places that serve. Therefore no issues with a suit from some idiot who got in with the "Wrong bunch of Folks" and went TU as a result according to his mother and daddy has not been seen in the last xx years. I also do not do stupid things at stupid times in stupid places out in public. Nuff said, I don't go to buy smokes or fill up my car at 3AM in the worst side of town already known for serious issues. You want to do that, go get what you deserve!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Although i am not a heavy drinker by any means...I know that it tends to take quite a few before I start feeling it.
    I have decided to set that 'fence' for myself for now. As life goes on things are bound to change but I am where I am for now...

If the name of the game is 100% all-the-time self-defense, then I guess you'd never drink (or walk within 20 feet of people you dont know) or do anything at all to compromise your edge .

Whether you're carrying a gun or not.

So....if SD is that important to you 24/7, you'd carry 24/7 and never drink.

But you cant carry 24/7 (in most states). And a gun isnt the solution to every SD situation.

We all make decisions...compromises....every day on what's ok, what's safe, if our location/business/errand/fun is riskier than others....

To me...who makes those decisions all the time....they're not necessarily based around my firearm.

It's a balance in life. Each makes their own choices.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

When it comes to alcohol the concept of 'feeling it' is analogous to being underfed (feeling hungry) or or more commonly for Americans being under hydrated (feeling thirsty).

By the time you can consciously 'feel' an effect of alcohol intake/drunkeness, hunger or thirst/dehydration; You are both feet in and knee deep with issue.
    This is human biology and medical science folks, that toward alcohol intake as related to _impairment_ has been studied umpteen times using all manner of testing method and yet always the result comes back same.

Alcohol is a depressant and it is wide ranging toward the brain alone, never mind that of the body.

Alcohol affects various centers in the brain, both higher and lower order. The centers are not equally affected by the same BAC -- the higher-order centers are more sensitive than the lower-order centers. As the BAC increases, more and more centers of the brain are affected.

The order in which alcohol affects the various brain centers is as follows:

1. Cerebral cortex
    2. Limbic system
    3. Cerebellum
    4. Hypothalamus and pituitary gland
    5. Medulla (brain stem)

Source - http://health.howstuffworks.com/well...l/alcohol6.htm
    Don't know what a "Cerebral Cortex" is or does?
    Okay...

Cerebral cortex: A thin mantle of gray matter about the size of a formal dinner napkin covering the surface of each cerebral hemisphere. The cerebral cortex is crumpled and folded, forming numerous convolutions (gyri) and crevices (sulci). It is made up of six layers of nerve cells and the nerve pathways that connect them.

The cerebral cortex is responsible for the processes of thought, perception and memory and serves as the seat of advanced motor function, social abilities, language, and problem solving.

Source - http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...ticlekey=11490
    Now think on that for a moment. Contemplate what that means, exactly....Within context as relevant to being predated upon by a criminal, analyzing such a condition for _pre-warning_ and dealing with same within the moments of (reaction time measured by half second intervals!), trying to handle complex tools in a complex function fine motor control manner and trying to on the fly formulate the best plan of action so as to get within the attackers OODA loop while at the same time preventing him from getting within your own alcohol stupor induced same.

Now what's that about feelin' it?
    Think on that for a moment.

Drinking at home is one thing.
    If something untoward occurs as you are in your living room, garage or backyard slamming shots and chasing them with 40 oz beers...That is one thing.

But drinking _liquor_...Not being at home which means you have to thereafter drive a VEHICLE home (or walk it home after hours which could be equally treacherous) having imbibed product that is at least 30% alcohol by volume (some of the better rum is as high as 50%!)...VOLUME, meaning per serving regardless of what the serving size might be as a shot glass ounce or a drunkards cup.

Driving home while carrying a firearm for 'protection' after having imbibed a substance that is 30% or more alcohol content...What was the question again?

What difference does it matter what the law may or may not allow.
    Laws are in place to guide and constrain people who otherwise can't seem to act and think to do right on their own.

A person should not need a law book analysis to know the answer to this question in specific or general.
    Just use your noodle.

'Alcohol: The Effect '
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SYaFt5_d5M

- Janq

P.S.
    As an adult I am able to turn down offers of what ever by people. This is my choice and ability.
    I would tell such friend no thanks I'm not up for a drink right now, but hey pour some for me in a container that I can seal for the DRIVE home and I'll let you know how it is later/tomorrow once I try after my DRIVE HOME.
    We folk aged 21 and older can get alcohol any time anywhere when ever we want. This should not be an item of any regard.

Myself I do not drink and carry.
    If I plan/expect to drink, then I do not carry...Nor drive.
    If I plan to carry, or drive, then I do not choose to drink.
    I go to bars and other places that serve alcohol & liquor very often including tonight to see a movie that serves beer, wine and champagne too.
    I choose to buy popcorn alone and walked right on past the alcohol offerings...As I was my own designated driver, and I was carrying a firearm too.
    Big boy rules.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would drink while carrying
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Decision is made for me in Tennessee. If you drink any alcohol, you can't carry. I don't break the law.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

For me, I stay away from the booze and beer when carrying. If I have kids out and about, have somewhere I may need to go, whatever........no drinking. Now, I love good beer, whiskey, and tequilla.....but I'll only partake when at home or out with someone else who's driving and I'm unarmed. IF I had to drive or use my sidearm, I choose to have NO question about my soberity.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Decision is made for me in Tennessee. If you drink any alcohol, you can't carry. I don't break the law.
    +1 for me in VA. Statute states no consumption while CC. Nothing stated for open carry. (It stems from being able to OC in a restaurant that serves for consumption on premises) In july 2010, VA allowed CC in restaurants that serve but no consumption while carrying.

I don't look down on those that choose to consume 1, 2 or 3 while carrying. Everyone has their limits & comfort levels. I choose not to be hammered by the DA & lawyers in the event of a SD shooting.
    Serviving an attack is a hollow victory if I spend the rest of my life in jail away from my family.

i am going to a party/band at a bar tonight with my CCW... for me this means no drinking alcohol, and not just because i am carrying. If i ever get a DWI, i can lose my professional liscense for work... its just not worth it. Now if i am at my house, its a different story. Happy New Years! Bunker

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i have no issues with drinking and carrying...not being a drinker myself there is no relationship for me but i have nothign against someone who wants to have a beer with their dinner and carry a gun...being responsible about your drinking especially as it relates to driving is the key as far as i am concerned...set your limits carefully...

Sounds like you're ok from a legal standpoint (I'm no lawyer and not that familiar with TX law). Any DA that's feeling skippy could try to make something out of anything (i.e. you were drinking a red bull = "He was all hopped up on ginsing and caffeine which made him nervous and jittery and clouded his judgement"). It's a stretch, but I've seen worse stretches than that. I rarely drink anymore, and if I do it is in a controlled environment such as at my house or at a close friend's house (if I know the people that are going to be there). Even then, I maintain control of my consumption. Nothing wrong with a drink or two. IMO drinking in public is a recipe for trouble. Been there, done that, and sold t-shirts. Experience tells me nothing good comes from it, so I tend to just leave it alone. I'd rather carry than drink.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    +1 for us here in Nebraska. We don't get a choice to CC and drink.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links