Retired Wisconsin DA Condemns Concealed Carry - Fights Legislation to bring CCW to WI

Retired Wisconsin DA Condemns Concealed Carry - Fights Legislation to bring CCW to WI

This is a discussion on Retired Wisconsin DA Condemns Concealed Carry - Fights Legislation to bring CCW to WI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A retired DA prosecutor has written an editorial this week in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel newspaper, criticizing plans to pass CCW Permit legislation in Wisonsin ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retired Wisconsin DA Condemns Concealed Carry - Fights Legislation to bring CCW to WI

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

A retired DA prosecutor has written an editorial this week in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel newspaper, criticizing plans to pass CCW Permit legislation in Wisonsin next year ( 2011 ).

Nancy Ettenheim starts her editorial by explaining that she is not Anti-gun, and that " we own four long guns. Happily, we never fire them. They sit, unloaded, minding their own business. "

She then goes on to say that all CCW permit systems are extremely flawed in nature, and do not really work well. She says that such systems are ineffective in screening people, due to a garbage in, garbage out process.

Finally, she concludes her article by simply saying this:

" Let's keep those concealed weapons where they belong - in the underwear drawer. "

Isn't that bizarre? It really is quite an amazing editorial to read. Check out the entire editorial here on this webpage:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/112569759.html

Do you think that everyone opposed to creating a CCW Permit system in Wisconsin is this confused and ill-informed? How did someone like this ever manage to become a prosecutor?

VIP Member
    What can you say. The woman is an educated idiot. No system is perfect and able to catch everyone who shouldn't be allowed to do something. You have potential drunk drivers getting drivers license, you get potential rogue cops making it through the academy and onto the streets, you even get shyster lawyers passing the bar examine and becoming DA's. Maybe it's time for Ms. Ettenheim to pull her head out of the sand (or where ever it is stuck) and start living in the real world.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

CCL systems are flawed ?!? Her reasoning and logic are flawed.

The underware drawer......really ???

Your right archer.....an educated idiot
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Like most anti's, and she IS an anti, they spend all their energies controlling and demeaning Mr. Everyday Citizen, but no time working on what to do with Mr. Criminal.
    Her ideas DO NOT make the victim safer and, as usual, have no effect upon the criminal element in our society.
    WI will become a 'shall issue' state in 2011...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I guess I wonder how Wisconsin thinks they are smarter than 48 other states in this regard. I live next to this great state and know they have the same issues of the other 48 only they are less equipped to deal with them. On the other hand, the statistics still back up the fact that those with permits are much more responsible and more law abiding than those without. Also, when CCW comes in violent crime does go down. That is a proven issue. Finally, I really enjoyed the grocery store remark she gave..... how did someone that dumb make it through law school?? I thought lawyers did research before they presented their points. Now I wonder how that plays out with all the people mugged in a Walmart parking lot. Interesting point in my own town, the Walmart has had double digit muggings this year. The Gander Mountain on the other side of the parking lot has had none....... duh, do you think there might be some connection?
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Who wants to bet that as an ex DA she retains some form of concealed (or perhaps even open) carry license. A constable appointment or something.

That woman is retarded. I noticed that at the end of the editorial her email is listed. Maybe we should all drop her a line.

Another Crusader Rabbit anti.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I still haven't figured out how an "educated" person can not understand...

The right to keep and bear arms, SHALL NOT be INFRINGED.

" Let's keep those concealed weapons where they belong - in the underwear drawer. "

If I were to keep my weapon in the underwear drawer I would be in violation of law here in Maine. There is a statement in gun stores warning buyers not to leave guns where children could get a hold of them. Besides this IDIOTS closing statement, I would never keep a gun in a location where a dirt bag could get it before me! I use a safe!
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Yeah, she's an ideio. The "no guns for citizens" mentality is one the criminals NEVER obey. Lets HOPE and PRAY the citizens of IL and WI are allowed their rights in 2011. What a shame. I would never live in such a ass-backwards state. (and I was born and raised in Il. Gad we got out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    CCL systems are flawed ?!? Her reasoning and logic are flawed.

The underware drawer......really ???

Your right archer.....an educated idiot

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Like most anti's, and she IS an anti, they spend all their energies controlling and demeaning Mr. Everyday Citizen, but no time working on what to do with Mr. Criminal.
    Her ideas DO NOT make the victim safer and, as usual, have no effect upon the criminal element in our society.
    WI will become a 'shall issue' state in 2011...

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^And ^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My reply to her personally would be

"Nancy, I'm trying to see things from your perspective, but I can't seem to get my head that far up my *&$ (butt)"
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaineGlock View Post

If I were to keep my weapon in the underwear drawer I would be in violation of law here in Maine. There is a statement in gun stores warning buyers not to leave guns where children could get a hold of them. Besides this IDIOTS closing statement, I would never keep a gun in a location where a dirt bag could get it before me! I use a safe!
    That really struck me as being outrageous too.

And she and her husband have 4 long guns that she says that they never take out and never shoot? And that is supposed to mean that she is somehow "one of us"??

Sounds like some other "coppers" that we hear about. And, she was the HEAD copper for her Judicail Circuit..........does anyone see a trend with this?

Hey, she's pretty smart....at least partly. I do carry my firearms very close to my underware or my drawers.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links