Signs on or around the house? - Page 2

Signs on or around the house?

This is a discussion on Signs on or around the house? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most break-ins occur when the occupants are not home and last only minutes. IMO, any gun-related sign will only encourage a meth freak to knock ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Signs on or around the house?

Most break-ins occur when the occupants are not home and last only minutes. IMO, any gun-related sign will only encourage a meth freak to knock at your door to see if you are home.

The element of surprise always works better than letting the enemy know what's in store if they pursue their evil deeds.
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    M

I preferred just plain old no trespassing signs. No not the ones that say, "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again." either..
    But they work so well on Jehova Witnesses and Door-to-Door annoyers!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    My dog trainer told me not to ever post beware of dog signs. She said lawyers will use that in a civil trial to "prove" that you knew your dog was vicious or whatever.
    We were told that by a State Trooper -- to be very careful how dog signs are posted, as the wording might become a court issue. We do have one sign "Warning - Guard Dog" , but we also have six foot fences and many large dogs visible, so I'm not sure of the outcome if someone were to read the sign, scale a fence and have a lot of dog bites (or if they shoot the dogs).
    We're also out in the country where the neighbors know what we do, and I guess most important is that we really don't have anything worth stealing. We're not important and wouldn't be a target of anybody. Our dogs are probably our most valuable possessions!
    Outside of the dog sign issue, no stickers, signs or anything else at all.
    [This post is specifically excluding my Busch beer signs with babes on them since they are not visible unless the shop door is open.]

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've even thought about getting some of those "no guns here" "gun-free zone" peacenik kinds of signs.

Two problems: (1) it might actually ENCOURAGE unwanted nocturnal visitors; (2) some idiot DA or lawyer for the family of a deceased scumbag might make some sort of shullbit "entrapment"/"attractive nuisance" argument. Not likely to go very far in this jurisdiction, but why invite trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy

I found chalk outlines, a little bit of ketchup and some flyers work best.
    Team WTFDTSG?

***** happens, it becomes the past. Live with it, learn from it and get on with it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    I just pop half an alka-seltzer tab into my dog's mouth and go to the door and shrug my shoulders at them through the window.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I'd like a sign reading "Trespassers will be persecuted."

Quote Originally Posted by farmerj
    I kinda see it as advertising how you want to get sued or robbed. Why do it.

Kinda like putting all those speed shop stickers on your vehicle. Your asking to get busted for speeding or some other traffic violation.

So why do it.
    It sure can help you get sued. A family I knew had a large dog around ten years ago. They put out the sign we have all seen "BEWARE OF DOG" thinking it would keep away BGs. As luck would have it some kid selling Kirby's drove into drive way, got out of the car and for who knows what reason was bite by the dog. A civil suit followed and during the trial his lawyer used the sign as proof they knew the dog was dangerous. They (insurance) had to pay medicals bills, loss wages and 5 thousand for pain and suffering. I guess it could have been worse.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Not having read the posts , its pretty standard in insurance that any dog gets ONE bite . That being said , the signage around my place that a bad guy can see is a muzzle flash .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    Not having read the posts , its pretty standard in insurance that any dog gets ONE bite .
    That very much depends on the location, the dog and the severity of the bite. My possible pit mix, Obie, (who is a gentle, affectionate dog and has never bitten...except food) wouldn't get a chance to bite in Denver. He'd be hauled off and summarily murdered as soon as "identified" because of Denver's breed-specific legislation. My Poodle x Shih-Tzu, Needles, who has fear bitten twice, would probably never even be reported. And the owner of the pack of small dogs in CA who chased down and bit a stranger multiple times (the bites required an ER visit for stitches, I think) will likely not face charges either. People don't perceive small dogs as dangerous.

Um. Oh. Off my soap box. now. Meh.

Olivia ... I posted "its pretty standard in insurance" Not denvers werid dog statutes , and btw i agree with you on Obie , i have an american bull terrior mix , and have a buddy who has raise them for 30 years or so . My point is , as a rule insurance will cover an unforseen event ( a dog bite or a bg shot ) but not a continuing series , Posting mean dog , or felons shot on sight just gives up your " insurance freebe " since its no longer unforseen . I was addressing civil end not any criminal or statutory ban question , heck if you shoot someone in washington dc your in over your eyebrows no matter why you shot , your a criminal for possession .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    In early 1990s I was at a Five State Peace Officers Meeting. The Speaker was a State Police Officer from a Anti Gun Northern State.
    He stated that their state police used NRA Stickers, Pro Gun Bumper Stickers, or state license tags (from southern or western states) to make pretext stops to search for guns and other contraband.
    He made no beans about it and said that some officers were eluding to the stickers as PC for the stop and their state courts were going along with it. He thought it was extremely funny that they were screwing with gun owners and folks from southern and western states.

I've alwasy known that criminals target cars with pro gun stickers, but I was amazed that police officers from the Northern States do such blantly illegal things, but I guess that's the difference in different parts of the country. I did ask the State Police Sergeant how he was going to get back to his state without posting bond. He ask what I ment. I told him he was in violation of our State Law against carrying weapons.
    And if he liked to screw with gun owners from Texas, we could equally screw with State Police from his state. I told him to take his gun off as long as he was in the jurisdiction I was Chief of Police of.
    He seemed highly pissed, but Xin Loi, I will never travel to his state.

Jungle Work
    Last edited by Jungle Work; July 12th, 2006 at 04:50 PM.

Five State Peace Officers Meeting
    NOW ****** stfu Rule 1 is We dont talk about 5 states ... , we dont discuss the top secret tactical goings on from 5 states , btw it wasnt me , nor my dispatcher , and we jointly dont know *** your talking about .

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    The State Police Officer was Yankee from a Nothern State and did not give the "Secret Hand Shake" before the meeting. So his speach was not covered by stfu Rule #1. In fact I don't believe he was covered by tygoff Rule #16.

Jungle Work

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links