Ohio Notify LEO - Page 2

Ohio Notify LEO

This is a discussion on Ohio Notify LEO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most leos in Ohio are ok with ccw. Just be sure that the first words out of your mouth are officer I have a ccw ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ohio Notify LEO

Most leos in Ohio are ok with ccw. Just be sure that the first words out of your mouth are officer I have a ccw permit and I am armed. Don't wait 30 seconds into the conversation. If you are not
    carrying you don't have to notify. They also have the right to take your weapon while they have you stopped but they have to return it when they are done with you. Most will not take it but want to know where it is. Most of them realize that we are not the ones they have to worry about.

FWIW, on Ohio carry license also shows up in Michigan when they run your plates.

As for the passenger interrupting the cop, they are required by law to do so. Perhaps the best way is for the driver to inform and tell them that the passenger also has to inform, and then let the passenger do so.

A few cops can be trouble makers but 99% are fine.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
    FWIW, on Ohio carry license also shows up in Michigan when they run your plates.
    Are you saying Michigan LEO have access to LEADS?

Well I was pulled over in northern Michigan. I immediately informed (as is also required in Michigan) and the deputy's response was "yeah, I know" so I assume that they must be linked with the Ohio database in some way.

I would guess that states that have it on their cruiser screens pick up the same notification when they pull a license plate from out of state that has the same notification field.

Ken

A little off topic here but still in regards to Ohio...
    I travel to Cleveland often from my home in NYS to visit my son. I have my NY permit and non-resident Utah and Florida permits so I can carry in Ohio. I get a little confused by being able to carry in a restaurant. I believe the law does not allow me to carry in the establishment if they serve beer/alcohol. Do I understand this correctly? If so, can I legally leave my gun in my car while I am eating?
    Note: We have 6 kids and they live in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Washington,DC, New York City and Ontario Canada. I can carry to 3 of the places they live but not all.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    A little off topic here but still in regards to Ohio...
    I travel to Cleveland often from my home in NYS to visit my son. I have my NY permit and non-resident Utah and Florida permits so I can carry in Ohio. I get a little confused by being able to carry in a restaurant. I believe the law does not allow me to carry in the establishment if they serve beer/alcohol. Do I understand this correctly? If so, can I legally leave my gun in my car while I am eating?
    Yes, you are correct. We are trying to get the restaurant issue fixed and thought we had a chance at the end of the year but one outgoing politician killed it :(

But you are correct, you cannot carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol.

And yes, you can leave you firearm in the car. The only places it might be illegal is where a private parking lot is posted. Those are fairly rare.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by wilbmeister View Post
    I get a little confused by being able to carry in a restaurant. I believe the law does not allow me to carry in the establishment if they serve beer/alcohol. Do I understand this correctly? If so, can I legally leave my gun in my car while I am eating?
    Correct. No carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. Yes, you can leave it in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    My policy is I tell every LEO I come in contact with that I'm carrying. I figure it will put the officers mind at ease a little bit if I'm up front about carrying and that he doesn't have to wonder about anything walking back up to my car after running a background check.

Florida is NOT a MUST inform state. However, in my discussions with several LEOs of different agencies at last weekends local gun show (they were working security, off duty) they said if you are carrying, they want to know, and most said they would ask where it is. Then they would say 'Please don't reach {where it is]".
    At the present time, Fl does not list your CWP on a drivers license or vehicle check. But, we don' know what the future will bring.

Note: I have been carrying for 40+ years. I have never been stopped while carrying. However I wil inform if the weapon is on my person. (I have a gun safe in the vehicle)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links