Rant - Plans for SC vacation hosed

This is a discussion on Rant - Plans for SC vacation hosed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Planning on taking a trip to SC with the wife sometime this spring. Wanted to do 1 or more IDPA matches while I was there ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rant - Plans for SC vacation hosed

Rant - Plans for SC vacation hosed

Planning on taking a trip to SC with the wife sometime this spring. Wanted to do 1 or more IDPA matches while I was there along with her "Treasure hunting". Just figured all I needed was a FL non-res permit. WRONG!!!

Stupid "Must be resident of state permit issued" thingy... and "Must own property in SC for SC non-res permit.

Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

That is correct. We do not recognize permits issued to non residents of the state of issue. We are not alone as Florida itself doesn't for that matter recognize them either. Sad but true. I wish it were different. Try as we might we cannot seem to get SLED to extend the list of reciprocity out very quickly. They take it as their duty to investigate whether or not the state has the same requirements that SC has for issuing them and doesn't seem to be in any hurry at all to do so. We almost had this fixed a couple years back but we got sandbagged by some of our own people who thought a compromise was in order. Well... it failed to do much but get the two states that were almost ready to be added anyway. And since then.... nothing. I am as frustrated as you are.

But keep in mind that our transport and possession rules are some of the most liberal in the country. Can be in glove box or console, loaded and unlocked. Free to transfer from car to rented room/rental and free to possess in rented room too. Can be in car in rest stops. Castle Doctrine state too.

This is all we got so far

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

I apologize and wish it were better.

Not your fault, unless you actually are the one making the rules, then YOU !!!

I may have to suck it up and not carry once I cross the line (odd that I can be on the other three sides without issue).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Agreed. This is where the lack of recognition and reciprocity make toting a firearm a nightmare when visiting other states.

I have reciprocity all the way to Florida from West Virginia with the exception of Georgia. I had to get a non-resident NH permit that GA recognizes when we stayed with spouses relatives in Claxton on the way to Jacksonville during a vacation. Otherwise, the pistol would have to stay in the trunk of the car.

When we travel to Illinois to visit her folks, that state doesn't recognize any permit or allow open carry. Yet, KY and IN recoginze our permit until we cross into the Land of Lincoln. Stuff like this drives a person batty.

I feel your pain and wish states would clear up the crappy laws surrounding the ability of carry and permit recognition.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Yep, others may differ, but I don't consider SC as a very gun friendly state. At least for travelers.

Definitely lacking on the "southern hospitality."
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A lack of OC is a negative too!

It is very gun friendly as it pertains to transporting in the car or your rental room house etc...

But as far as Concealed Carry.... not really very "active" in pursuing that. You see the Legislature leaves it up to SLED to determine. And according to the way our law is written it says that reciprocity will be to states that have the same requirements as we have. This means there can be no reciprocity to a state that does not require training for example. This one is the big stumbling block for Georgia.

There is also no incentive at all for SLED to go find the rest of the states and identify them and then list them. SLED fought an effort to change the law to make reciprocity automatic. In other words to change it to a "you take ours, we'll take yours". We ended up with SLED still making up the list. And SLED promptly added two and quit. The same two we all knew they were about to approve anyway and they held off doing so they could show, after the fact, that they were acting in good faith. But... since then?

It appears they have no motivation, time nor do they really have any incentive to pursue it with any sort of expediency. I don't think they really have the time or personnel to mess with it. But hey.... they wanted it! So I hold them accountable for the inaction. Maybe we should revisit this again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    It is very gun friendly as it pertains to transporting in the car or your rental room house etc...
    Yeah, as long as you don't get out of your car or leave your hotel room... Not much on welcoming sightseer's and tourists.

Again, not very gun friendly for travelers!

Bring your guns, your SC permit and come to Missouri! We'll show you a good time!

We'll even let you get out of the car and walk around.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

While easier to carry in other states like NC how would you, on vacation, like to put your gun in the car every time you paid admission to enter somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    While easier to carry in other states like NC how would you, on vacation, like to put your gun in the car every time you paid admission to enter somewhere.
    Or have to get a permit to even buy a gun in the first place...

It is, in some ways, inhospitable.... but in others it beats some alternatives. Its a uphill battle to make it better.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I really wish we could get right with GA & AL and I'd be happy.

There are a whole lot of states "LESS" gun friendly to travelers than South Carolina. (At least; most of our LEOs are PRO-gun themselves.)

Besides our good LEOs, there aren't to many places in SC I've been too, that I would feel uncomfortable being UN-armed.

I worked (unarmed) in drug invested and gang controled areas in my city for several years; and I was usually carrying thousands of dollars in insurance premiums. I never once was threatened (or felt threatened); not even when I went to three "crack" houses that a few of my clients frequented. (and the house was FULL of armed gangbangers)

I can't say that for many other places.

(Yes, I had some clients pay their monthly premiums with drug money.)

VIP Member
    I'm sorry, Sticks. As much as I love my state for the history of my lineage here, when it comes to politics, it is a tangled, beauracratic mess.

As previously stated, our LEO's tend to understand and enforce the spirit of the law, and are generally much appreciated by the citizenry. However, once you reach an elected official, I suspect it all comes down to campaign contributions.

I was in SC the last two weekends, and had to disarm. Big drag, and an annoyance, but I never felt in danger.

That might be so and if you stick to most areas you can find are rather safe and stay away from those that are not... then it can be... But no one should ask you to disarm here I don't think. South Carolina's crime rate is uncharacteristically high. Crime Rate per 100,000 Population in 2004 we ranked 1st in violent crime, 5th in Property Crime and overall 2nd in total crime. Now that is not good. I think that is reason enough for SLED to consider speeding up its reciprocity listing and let people protect themselves since they obviously have their hand full. I'll make no excuses for that.

http://abstract.sc.gov/chapter1/staterank11.php

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    That might be so and if you stick to most areas you can find are rather safe and stay away from those that are not... then it can be... But no one should ask you to disarm here I don't think. South Carolina's crime rate is uncharacteristically high. Crime Rate per 100,000 Population in 2004 we ranked 1st in violent crime, 5th in Property Crime and overall 2nd in total crime. Now that is not good. I think that is reason enough for SLED to consider speeding up its reciprocity listing and let people protect themselves since they obviously have their hand full. I'll make no excuses for that.

http://abstract.sc.gov/chapter1/staterank11.php
    Yep! Violent crime as definitely increased here; especially since Obozo took the throne. (I certainly do not feel as comfortable as I used to.)

But, give me ANYWHERE in SC over ANYWHERE in most other states I can think of, "IF" I have to leave my gun behind.

I really hope we'll see some positive "Gun Law" changes coming to our state soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links