CHL Holder Stops Home Robbery in Houston

This is a discussion on CHL Holder Stops Home Robbery in Houston within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks like three low-lives were surprised to discover their intended victim had a concealed carry license! http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7364884.html The reader comments in the Houston Chronical are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: CHL Holder Stops Home Robbery in Houston

Looks like three low-lives were surprised to discover their intended victim had a concealed carry license!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7364884.html

The reader comments in the Houston Chronical are also funny to read. This happened a couple miles from my house.... and some of my friends wonder why I carry....

An apparent attempt to rob a Cypress-area resident in his driveway failed Monday night after the homeowner pulled out a gun and began firing. When the suspects tried to flee, their car wouldn’t start, and two ended up in custody.

No one was injured in the incident, which took place around 8 p.m. outside a home in the 26800 block of Glenfield Hollow Lane near Fry Road in northwest Harris County, according to the sheriff’s office.

Deputies said the homeowner told investigators he and his family had just arrived home from a shopping trip when he noticed an old Ford Mustang drive slowly past his house. He told his wife and children to go inside the house.

Then he saw the Mustang drive slowly past the home again, deputies said. The car stopped, and a man got out. The homeowner said the man was holding what appeared to be a gun, demanded money and rushed toward him.

That’s when the homeowner pulled out his gun and fired at the suspect, deputies said. Neighbors reported hearing five to seven shots, and after the gunfire, the Mustang wouldn’t start.

Investigators said the suspect who was shot at and the Mustang’s driver ran away, but the homeowner held a third man in the car until deputies with the Precinct 5 Constable’s Office arrived and took him into custody.

Deputies caught up with a man they believed to be one of the pair who fled and took him into custody as well.

No charges have been filed, but the Harris County Sheriff’s Office is investigating.

Deputies said the homeowner had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

dale.lezon@chron.com

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=7877690
    In case you want more details.

A tense situation I can only imagine, as I have never had to remove my gun from its holster for other than target practice. But I have to wonder, for the safety of any others in the area (neighbors), where did the "five to seven shots" end up??? No hits at all on the BG....
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

If he had time to hustle the wife and kids into the house, why didn't he follow them in and lock the door?

I wasn't there, but the way this is written, it sounds like the Mustang containing the miscreants came back around AFTER he had secured his family in the house. Why opt for a shoot-out in your own driveway if you can get behind a door and call 911? Your odds are much better in the house - even if you had to leave your garage door open.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    If he had time to hustle the wife and kids into the house, why didn't he follow them in and lock the door?

I wasn't there, but the way this is written, it sounds like the Mustang containing the miscreants came back around AFTER he had secured his family in the house. Why opt for a shoot-out in your own driveway if you can get behind a door and call 911? Your odds are much better in the house - even if you had to leave your garage door open.
    I read it that way as well and was wondering the same thing.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
    I read it that way as well and was wondering the same thing.
    Me too, but if you listen to the TV report linked at the bottom of the OP, it sounds like there was not time and the BGs got there just when the family did. Not sure which report is accurate - if either are.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

What a bunch of maroons...car wouldn't start? Almost Darwin Award candidates...
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    What a bunch of maroons...car wouldn't start? Almost Darwin Award candidates...
    I'm wondering if he didn't unknowingly put a bullet through something important.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I'm wondering if he didn't unknowingly put a bullet through something important.
    Could be. Looks like the guy shot everything *except* what he was aiming for, so...

Perhaps he was just being cautious sending the family inside and still had packages to unload.
    His shooting was not so good, with what appears to be a number of errant shots.
    The possible collateral damage of his errant shots brings forth a question.
    If you felt that you were going to be shot and there were innocents behind the perp and that was your only shot, with the possibility of pass throughs, would you take the shot?
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I don't run into the house every time a car drives slowly past. It may raise my alertness, and it may be prudent to have the family go inside (since they were probably intending to go inside already) but barricading the door and calling 911 because something looked "fishy" is a little over-the-top for me. How many times are you going to call the cops on what ends up being a couple of people simply looking for a friend's house that happens to be in your neighborhood?

It's easy to MMQB something like this; it's quite another to make decisions without knowing the future.

As for 5-7 wasted shots... this guy needs some practice. If a BG's body isn't stopping your bullets, what IS?
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Deputies said the homeowner had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
    Why does this even come into it? I thought Texas was similar to Oklahoma in that you do not need a permit on your own property.

Michael

I suppose it could mean that at least you've had some training and a background check. You know, makes people feel better about you carrying a gun..

As for why not go inside, I'd rather confront them in the drive way than the front door, the front door before the living room, the living room before the bedroom...
    Outer_Heaven and baren like this.

He did what he had to do?
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Why does this even come into it? I thought Texas was similar to Oklahoma in that you do not need a permit on your own property.

Michael
    Remember, many in the general public, including the incredibly gun-ignorant press, think that you need a permit or license to even touch a gun. It's not surprising that a reporter would think this was relevant.

I saw this on the news today here in Houston. Also not far from where I live.

A little more info from another channels
    Sounds like they had a plan and reacted very well to a tough situation

http://www.click2houston.com/news/26362662/detail.html
    G20 / G29

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links