Wheel gun. Coat pocket carry. No holster.

This is a discussion on Wheel gun. Coat pocket carry. No holster. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I made a quick run in the car to pick up my girlfriend. Threw my coat on, grabbed the .38 snub and dropped ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheel gun. Coat pocket carry. No holster.

Wheel gun. Coat pocket carry. No holster.

Last night I made a quick run in the car to pick up my girlfriend. Threw my coat on, grabbed the .38 snub and dropped it into my front straight-drop coat pocket with a button overflap, sans holster. One speedloader went in my inside coat pocket and another that rides permanently in the center console compartment of the car.

This is the first time I've carried this way. Curious to hear some opinions.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I prefer a pocket holster. Some jurisdictions require a holster, so you may want to check with your state laws.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    There are so many good pocket holsters out there. I don't see the benefit to running without one.

While the chances of anything going wrong may be small, I'd rather carry in a way that keeps the trigger protected.

I used to do that back in the day before a thousand holsters to choose from. In winter anyway, when I had an old army jacket on with big, deep pockets. I'm not even sure that even today they make a pocket holster that will stay in the pocket of a large winter coat with baggy pockets, but I haven't looked much at revolver holsters. Seems like the holster would have to fasten in there somehow.

Feel free to recommend any decent coat pocket carry holsters for this application. The gun is a S&W 442. I have two pocket holsters for it. My "nemesis" is next to useless IMO. Retention of a sock drawer. In a coat pocket, as well as pants, it slips right out on it's own. Tried it. I have no idea why the Nemesis is so highly recommended - but that's another chapter... The other holster is too likely to come out of a coat pocket WITH the gun.
    Last edited by 3rik; January 5th, 2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added more
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Nothing wrong with it IMO. I'd do it and have done it on several occasions in the last few months. A revolver in the coat pocket is worth it's weight in gold in the event it's needed. IMO, you can't beat the presentation, or the discharge if need be. Carry on, and stay safe.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Ex Member
    I do the same at times BUT I make sure it is a Bodyguard ( shrouded hammer) style.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Nothing wrong with it IMO. I'd do it and have done it on several occasions in the last few months. A revolver in the coat pocket is worth it's weight in gold in the event it's needed. IMO, you can't beat the presentation, or the discharge if need be. Carry on, and stay safe.
    +1 on this

I have carried this way too on occasion for short times, but prefer pocket holster. With me it depends on the situation and how long I'm expecting to be out.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

always carry using a holster

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I carry my 442 the same way in a coat pocket. Nothing else in the coat pocket and nothing else going in and out. I carry like that so I can have my hand in my coat pocket on the gun in "READY TO FIRE" condition (finger off trigger). This is because my primary is under layers and not easily accessible. If the gun is in a pocket holster with good retention covering the trigger, how are you going to fire the gun from inside the pocket without having to manipulate it significantly? Seconds count. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of carrying in this manner? In pants pockets, it's different. The gun can be pulled from both the pocket and holster and you are not trying to fire from inside the pocket. JMO and the reason I carry mine that way in a coat pocket.

PS. This is the only time or style of carry for me that is without a holster of some kind.
    Last edited by BugDude; January 5th, 2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Add'l info
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

That's the one that saved my arse years ago..............was opening up my business in the dark of the morning......just stuck my Model 36 in my coat pocket......when I was confronted at +6 feet my hand was already in my pocket with my finger on the trigger and pointed at CM on him.......he saw it in my eyes and decided he should leave immediately which he did.....good thing for him and me both.

I carry several snubbies from time to time but always in a pocket holster. But I see nothing wrong with your carry method as long as your State Law permits it. (Some do not).

Carry on and stay safe.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

I have discovered the joys and practicalities of carrying a snubby in my jacket pocket during the winter months and feel very confident about it. I use a cheapo blackhawk (I think) nylon pocket holster that has zero retention but allows quick access & really helps keep the lint bunnies away.

I asked Michael de Bethencourt of SnubTraining.com about the risks/benefits of shooting from a jacket pocket. His gracious email replies:

Hi, Michael- Thanks for a great site!
    Got a question for you. Now that winter is here I'm wearing a jacket or coat whenever I head outside. I've discovered I really like to pocket carry my bobbed S&W model 60 in the strong-side pocket (loaded with .357 Gold Dot for short barrels).
    Of course, one big advantage of the snub is that all five rounds, if need be,* can be used while still in the pocket. For me it seems like the most concealable way to carry during the winter months.
    That got me to thinking about trying it out using an old coat, you know, for practice and to get the hang of it.
    Then I thought about the muzzle flash of a .357 and the potential for serious burns and the possibility of setting my coat on fire, which could cause even more serious burns and serious embarrassment when explaining to the paramedics, my family, my friends and fellow newspaper reporters (who would just love to put a story like this in the paper).
    My pocket holster is nylon and, while not planning to use it in any tests, in a real-world situation, it might also have the potential of melting my hand to my snubby. Talk about a messy cleaning job!
    Any thoughts? Have you ever shot through a jacket pocket? What was it like?
    ----------
    Dear Skippy:
    I hope this note finds you well.
    Yes … a *few* times …
    Here are a few ideas
    First, I take the legs from pants I am going to throw away and have my wife cut them off at the crotch – Then she sews them closed at the cuff on the bottom. You now have two “shooting pockets” that you can test at the range. I have every student shoot through these to get some info on shooting through jacket pockets – but with the added safety – if the pocket catches on fire (it won’t) the shooter only has to point the muzzle down and the “pocket” slides off – No beating out a fire with a live firearm in a pocket
    I and the students have done this apx., 150 to 200 times within the last 3 or 4 years
    Here is what I have learned
    The muzzle flash is so “short” (time) that the pockets don’t catch on fire – These is almost no heat, blast, or concussion felt in the shooters hand (generally a disappointment/let-down to the shooters) the shots creates small holes – the muzzle blast blow the cloth to shreds –Generally by the 3 rd shot there is no “front’ to the pocket due to the gas – Something to remember if you are shooting from “retention” (close to the ribs) position
    Generally your accuracy on target will be awful due to a nearly complete lack of indexing – but IF* you see the first hit you can adjust for point of impact – IF* the target is black and/or you can’t see the point of impact (generally) you can not adjust your aim (So be close to the target!) –
    I have never tested a nylon holster but here is what I will do and what I expect to discover – I will load the snub with one (only) round then put on a glove then a plastic bag over both the gun and the glove – Then I will shoot the round at the range – I expect to see that the bag will fly off from the gas but there is close to zero “melting” – After that I will repeat the test with 6-rounds – Then re-test again with a nylon bag – Same effect expected – The “flash” is in contact with the bag for so short a time – But I will test to be sure and follow up with you.
    I hope that info helps a little.
    Get back to me in a few days.
    Yours,
    Michael

------------------

(follow-up reply about HPs:)

Regarding your question - thick winter clothing with "fiber fill" and other under layers can plug the hollow points - so will thick leather from jackets

Lighter shirts and jackets generally don't "plug" the hollow points

Here is a trick that may be of value.

I generally load my snubs with lighter weight rounds of Summer events because I won't have to go through heavy clothing.

I use heavier rounds and/or +P rounds for the Spring and Fall months due to the thickness cover material

For the Winter I like .357 or larger calibers - This way if the hollow point gets pluged I still get deep penetration or larger holes

I hope that makes sense.

--------------

(follow-up about plastic and nylon)

I tried the plastic bag and the nylon bag.
    *Could not get either to burn or melt.
    *I was disappointed that the bullet shot a hole in the plastic bag so quickly – I had hoped the gas would fill the bag an *pop* it – No luck.
    *At this stage I would not worry about shooting through a nylon jacket pocket … but I will keep testing and let you know if a discover anything.
    *Yours,
    *Michael
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links